Well, i have my fourth Bold replacement on its way and should be here about middle of next week. The first one that I got was a used one that had someone elses information on it. The next one was hopeless and dropped calls constantly as well as the track ball acting up. The third one's track ball stopped responding to pushing it and its replacement is on its way.

I was kind of weary of the trackball when I first got the phone. It seemed like a bad idea at the time with its very mechanical properties. Keeping it in my pocket all the time with lint and so on, I guess that I can't expect it to survive.

Why did they ever think that it would be a good idea? As long as it is under warranty, it isn't too bad I guess. My concern is once the warranty is up.
    07-04-09 10:27 AM
    You should look into a holster or keep your phone in the pouch that it came in. That will eliminate your lint problems!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 10:31 AM
    Keeping it in my pocket all the time with lint and so on, I guess that I can't expect it to survive.
    Pocket carry creates torsional stress, moisture build up and other problems that shouldn't be blamed on the phone. Like the previous poster said, use the OEM holster and you'll get more life out of your Bold.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 07-04-09 at 12:48 PM.
    07-04-09 12:46 PM
    Pocket carry creates torsional stress, moisture build up and other problems that shouldn't be blamed on the phone. Like the previous poster said, use the OEM holster and you'll get more life out of your Bold.
    Tried the holster but it kept getting caught in the seat belt and knocked off or caught on things whille on the job.

Sorry, but I still contend that it is a poor design. Putting a micro trackball in a device that is being rubbed constantly by hands that can be less than sterile. Practically any phone can be kept in a pocket and the Bold should be as well. At least with the old track wheel, it wasn't relying on the surface of the wheel to interact with something internally. If you look at the trackball you will see that its surface has to interact with small shafts. Any debris in there and the shafts stop rotating. Had this happen too often.

They could have easily put a little nub there instead like they do on IBM notebooks. Some other approach would have been better than a mechanical trackball.

Crappy engineering!
    07-05-09 08:07 AM
    Well then maybe a BlackBerry isn't for you then!

07-05-09 11:44 AM
    Well then maybe a BlackBerry isn't for you then!

My point exactly! IMO the Bold is the best when it comes to mixing aesthetics with function.

07-05-09 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD