Hey all. I've kinda lurked for a week on this site and finally decided to register as I've made up my mind not to get the iPhone3G and instead wait for the BB Bold. I've been with smartphones for quite some time... ever since the original Treo 650's came out to various Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, and 6.1 devices. I just recently sold my HTC TyTN II on eBay in anticipation of the iPhone3G.

I, like a lot of Apple fans, was quite disappointed in the announcement of the iPhone3G. One thing I didn't realize was the inability of the iPhone to receive MMS and do A2DP. I have an iPod nano right now I have a bluetooth adapater for so that I can stream stereo bluetooth when doing my workouts. It's much better than having a cord dangling all over the place. The lack of those 2 things made me rethink things, then I saw info about this BB Bold which has all those features and has significant upgrades over previous BB.

So, my newbie question is this: with Windows Mobile phones, I've always bought them unlocked because with AT&T's branding on it, they frequently disable a lot of stuff and/or fill it with excessive bloatware. For example, the TyTN II from AT&T (the Tilt) has no front facing VGA camera and the GPS is kind of locked for AT&T's *PAY* navigator service. Of course, I know some people that have gotten TomTom to work so they don't have to pay AT&T for monthly GPS access...... so do BB have crippled features like that if you get them from the carrier? Or, does the stuff like GPS, etc. all work like it would on an unlocked BB? Do any of the unlocked BBs have features the carrier-branded ones don't have?

Thanks! And I look forward to the BB Bold's release date! Hopefully they'll beat Apple to the release day.
    06-15-08 09:49 AM
    I have only owned BB, I have had several of them. I too am waiting on the release of the bold.
    06-15-08 10:01 AM
    Yea, if they lock a certain feature on 1 phone, they're going to lock it on all the other phones that are capable of it.
    06-15-08 03:40 PM
    So, my newbie question is this: with Windows Mobile phones, I've always bought them unlocked because with AT&T's branding on it, they frequently disable a lot of stuff and/or fill it with excessive bloatware. For example, the TyTN II from AT&T (the Tilt) has no front facing VGA camera and the GPS is kind of locked for AT&T's *PAY* navigator service. Of course, I know some people that have gotten TomTom to work so they don't have to pay AT&T for monthly GPS access...... so do BB have crippled features like that if you get them from the carrier? Or, does the stuff like GPS, etc. all work like it would on an unlocked BB? Do any of the unlocked BBs have features the carrier-branded ones don't have?
    You can use the Tilt's GPS with any mapping program that supports GPS location tech. I used to use Google Maps, Live Search, and Nav4All on mine. I am not sure where you got the notion that it is restricted to TeleNav.

It is the same way with the GPS on the Curve, so I can't imagine they will change it for the Bold. Of course they want you to get TeleNav, but there are other options.

The bloatware on the Tilt can easily be removed, but it doesn't exist on At&t branded BlackBerrys, so it isn't a problem. Instead of having the actual bloatware pre-installed, you have icons that take you to installers. You can't delete these icons, but you can shift them to a folder and hide the folder completely from view using the "hide" option. They take up no more than a few kilobytes of memory, so this is as good as deleting them.

I would explain why you can't delete them, but it will be greek to you as you are not a BlackBerry user.
    06-15-08 03:46 PM
    one thing about the bold with at&t, is the fact that it is running a newer OS than the other berries. I have a curve on At&t and can use any GPS software I want. I do remember when At&T was going to release their version of the 8800, their was a lot of talk about the GPS only working with Telenav, but that never came about. I think At&t is good about the fact that they don't spend the time to lock stuff out on BB, but they do make it easier to get their programs quick and easy.
    06-15-08 04:34 PM
    ehh. Att screwed with the gps capabilities on the blackjack 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 05:40 PM
    ehh. Att screwed with the gps capabilities on the blackjack 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't think at&t purposely did it. I have both red and black. The black took some time before it worked. The red worked out the box. It is said that nothing internally was changed, but the color, so I'm unsure of why this issue was prevalent in the red (wine) colored BJ II.
    06-15-08 11:20 PM
    Also welcome to Crackberry.com
    06-15-08 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD