Hi

I posted my question into another topic but i didnt get any answer seems AF is only the hot topic regarding 9900 camera for most of u guys

So

Did anyone try to zoom while recording videos by 9900 ?! This issue more important for me than AF !!
    08-17-11 06:38 AM
    No, I tried yesterday
    08-17-11 06:53 AM
    Disapointing !
    08-17-11 06:55 AM
    That's what your feet are for...
    therapyreject174 and tliolos like this.
    08-17-11 07:10 AM
    IT'S A PHONE FOR F SAKES.... NOT A DSLR 18 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA! Get an iphone or samsung if you want a phone for a camera. This device is made for communication, not highend multimedia.
    08-17-11 07:59 AM
    IT'S A PHONE FOR F SAKES.... NOT A DSLR 18 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA! Get an iphone or samsung if you want a phone for a camera.
    Yes, also get an iphone, droid or samsung if you want a phone for a scanner / if you want to open a .pdf of 4.5mb or larger / if you want to use video conferencing.

We blackberry fans must realize how dangerous this thinking it to RIM and how it will destroy the company from having a place within the business community.
    08-17-11 08:30 AM
    My eyes also don't zoom. I simply move my head closer to the object.
    smijes likes this.
    08-17-11 08:46 AM
    I think from technical side the zoom feature is already there but not during recording so i dont think its big issue to ask zoom feature while recording !!!

I dont know why some ppl so sensitive Whne we discuss bb disadvantages !
    08-17-11 07:43 PM
    The main issue with zooming while recording, in my opinion, is that it's all digital. Which is useless anyway because your quality then suffers as a result.
    08-17-11 08:08 PM
    As mentioned above, you never want to use the zoom anyways.

It's the same thing as scaling up an image to make it look worse on a PC. Digital zoom is useless.
    08-17-11 08:10 PM
    Kinda a little gutted it don't zoom when recording, but I have a camera for that shizz which I take everywhere so not all that fussed about it
    08-17-11 08:13 PM
    The difference is that a camera will do a real lens zoom. All you're doing on a phone is making the image look like crap. You're doing yourself a favor not zooming.
    08-17-11 08:18 PM
    most all phones have digital zooming, useless. You can do so after you record, it's just digital zoom.

My guess is lot of people don't know the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom. We're not getting optical zoom in phones anytime soon.

BB bold is a communication device before it is a multimedia device. Go for the 9810 Torch II if you need better camera. It's more geared towards multimedia.
    08-17-11 08:31 PM
    Oh I totally agree with that.
    Although cameras do use digital zoom (after the optical) but meh never need to use that :P
    I only record silly moments from friends etc, nothing serious from my phone so the whole picture/video quality is fine with me.
    I know a lot of people are complaining about it not having AF. From what I've seen through some pics however the camera isn't exactly AMAZING but not exactly the worst either
    Ill see when I get it (hopefully) tomorrow anyway

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 08:33 PM
    I would be amazed to see a phone with optical released anytime soon, thatd be pretty ace!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 08:35 PM
    Considering how much they are valuing thin phones I wouldn't hold your breath =P
    08-17-11 08:37 PM
    do you want cool gadget and apps, or solid communication....

enough with the flaming...it's getting old..
    08-17-11 08:40 PM

08-17-11 08:45 PM
    most all phones have digital zooming, useless. You can do so after you record, it's just digital zoom.

My guess is lot of people don't know the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom. We're not getting optical zoom in phones anytime soon.

BB bold is a communication device before it is a multimedia device. Go for the 9810 Torch II if you need better camera. It's more geared towards multimedia.

Hey now, both of you are quick to call the Bold a "communications" device but all three previous versions of the BlackBerry Bold has had an auto focus camera.. What's changed? Only that they needed to get the device thinner. This is the only reason, so let's not get it twisted. It was always a communications device before with auto focus. No difference now except to get a thin as the competition.

And for a communications device, 720p HD video recording is being touted quite highly. Now why would a "communications" device be in need of HD recording?
    I will assume that HD recording is more important than taking still pictures in a "communications" device eh??

I like the 9900 aside from a few things. The lack of AF being one of them. And it's a good device. But I'm not going to lie to myself about why there is not an AF camera, and neither should you..
    anon3396357, bhavi_jp and EnnEnn like this.
    08-17-11 08:48 PM
    When u said it is useless while recording u should said so for zooming before recording

Anyway it is known that digital zoom will never give us quality like Optical zoom but some time its useful !
    08-18-11 09:33 AM
    Hey now, both of you are quick to call the Bold a "communications" device but all three previous versions of the BlackBerry Bold has had an auto focus camera.. What's changed? Only that they needed to get the device thinner. This is the only reason, so let's not get it twisted. It was always a communications device before with auto focus. No difference now except to get a thin as the competition.

And for a communications device, 720p HD video recording is being touted quite highly. Now why would a "communications" device be in need of HD recording?
    I will assume that HD recording is more important than taking still pictures in a "communications" device eh??

I like the 9900 aside from a few things. The lack of AF being one of them. And it's a good device. But I'm not going to lie to myself about why there is not an AF camera, and neither should you..
    fair points CX..

all I am saying is, while we want the best of both worlds unfortunately this model does not do it for "everyone". It's a give and take with this model and some are not willing to give anything for some of the improvements on this model compared to previous ones. At the price point that this model is at, you have to consider what the competing brands are putting out and are about to put out. That along with what you as an individual/end-user needs are should come into play more than just these continuous (yet valid) gripes we keep reading about. ***I also understand and am hopeful that most of these gripes can be addressed with some software upgrades, which is nothing new for RIM devices at their initial release, which is another reason why I'm glad the ip5 is not released yet, hopefully most/all these OS7 bugs will be worked out by then....

I myself have not decided is this model or another brand if for me. I'm fortunate that my state and provider allow a 14 day trial period so I will be testing this vs. the ip5 as well. Touchscreen and qwerty keyboard aside, I'm more interested in the actual performance of devices in terms of my everyday use (calls, emails, messages, calendars/scheduling events, cross platform syncing, etc....).
    Last edited by geneatals; 08-18-11 at 10:28 AM.
    08-18-11 10:19 AM

For a "business smartphone" a pinch screen is a cool gadget. AF is not, it's simply a tool.
    08-18-11 10:41 AM
    For a "business smartphone" a pinch screen is a cool gadget. AF is not, it's simply a tool.
    perhaps, but other also smartphones offer a pinch screen to zoom/manuever

again tho..for the price point, will one be getting the best of what's out at this time, or am I getting the the same device with some lipstick and blush. faster processor yes, solid messaging/communication yes...but what else...and can I get that from other brands/devices...

not trying to troll or flame here but asking honest consumer questions here. Yes I have been using an ip4 for a few days now as my wife's allowed me to use her's While I can see it's appeal I want to see what the ip5 will improve upon (I've been using BB's since the 7130e). Email push isn't as good but decent (kind of like the camera), but like I said above, it's a give and take with either device....
    Last edited by geneatals; 08-18-11 at 11:01 AM.
    08-18-11 10:55 AM
    It is amazing how many people on Crackberry are willing to turn a blind eye to the obvious shortcomings of the new 9900 series phones with comments like "It's a communication device. Who cares about <insert legitimate complaint here>?" It's attitudes like this that are fueling the demise of the devices we all love. I'm just as big of a BlackBerry Fanboy as anyone, but I'm not so blind that I don't see the many problems with these devices.

You don't think that businessmen listen to music or take pictures/video or surf the web? Give me a break. People in here think if you're just being critical of BlackBerry devices, in ANY fashion, that you're flaming...or you're being a troll. That is so pathetic.
    08-18-11 12:25 PM
    ^well said....
    08-18-11 08:19 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD