06-23-10 09:24 PM
35 12
tools
    Thanks! I took my sim card out and just wondered if the phone would funtion any better or save battery by changing it to 1XEV or if it did not matter if you have the sim card out ot flipped around.
    I don't know if it is proven or not but it should help your signal strength variations (and therefore, dropped calls) as well as improve battery life a bit.
    06-23-10 04:29 PM
    I don't know if it is proven or not but it should help your signal strength variations (and therefore, dropped calls) as well as improve battery life a bit.
    Thanks for the help. I will give it a try and see how it does.
    06-23-10 04:39 PM
    Thanks for all the info, I have the SIM flipped and net set to 1XEV; based on what I see here it sounds like setting to home only could be limiting.
    06-23-10 04:46 PM
    Remove the battery, then gently push on the end of the card that is closest to the latch for the cover. The card slides out toward battery. Be careful - you don't want to bend it.
    Then you can either remove it or flip it over so the gold circuitry faces up toward you...slide the card back in place.
    If you ever travel internationally then you will need to return the SIM card and change your Mobile Network settings back.
    Got it - thanks.

Will it not hurt the gold circuitry to be exposed to the cover?
    06-23-10 05:30 PM
    Got it - thanks.

It's why I preferred to remove it altogether. Those prone to needing it in a hurry or possibly losing it should probably just flip it.
    I think it has helped my ramping rf bars btw. still not perfect but way,way better.
    06-23-10 05:39 PM
    It's why I preferred to remove it altogether. Those prone to needing it in a hurry or possibly losing it should probably just flip it.
    I think it has helped my ramping rf bars btw. still not perfect but way,way better.
    Of course IF you lost it or damaged it, I'm sure you can get another...
    06-23-10 05:42 PM

The conventional wisdom on the forums is "no". I would only be concerned if you are removing or sliding it frequently...if that's the case, just make it active. For my purposes...I only leave the country about 1x every 2-3 years, so I'll just "flip" it so I don't lose the card.
    06-23-10 05:46 PM
    The battery cover doesn't touch the gold contacts anyways and most of the gold contacts is covered by the piece of plastic that holds the sim card in place anyhow.
    06-23-10 05:51 PM
    Having just removed the one from my Tour before sending it back, that gold circuitry looks somewhat fragile. I'm not sure that it won't get damaged/scuffed by putting it in the wrong way or the flipped way or....
    06-23-10 07:43 PM
    Having just removed the one from my Tour before sending it back, that gold circuitry looks somewhat fragile. I'm not sure that it won't get damaged/scuffed by putting it in the wrong way or the flipped way or....
    Moving over from gsm about a year ago I can tell assure you the sim is pretty durable and can take many removals and re-insertions. I swapped out devices constantly. In any case if it is lost or damaged a new one is easily gotten from verizon. This is why I removed mine. I may not need it for the life of my bold so why flip it, just grip it.....
    06-23-10 09:24 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD