i've seen this mentioned in several threads...

What exactly is the reasoning for this and what will it do to boost performance?
    06-23-10 01:34 PM
    The sim card is useless unless you are using the phone on a GSM carrier. Flipping it is the same thing as removing it.
    06-23-10 01:35 PM
    I removed mine to see and never put it back. It seems to help stabilze my sig bars, not really sure because at the same time I set the bb to home only and 1EV not global. I am 99% pleased with my bold and see no reason to put the sim back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 01:48 PM
    Yep, remove the card or flip it, then set the network to 1XEV.
    06-23-10 01:49 PM
    I removed it and haven't noticed any difference. My phone still fluctuates in good signal/reception areas... I think my Bold has a weak radio.
    06-23-10 01:50 PM
    I removed it and haven't noticed any difference. My phone still fluctuates in good signal/reception areas... I think my Bold has a weak radio.
    Is it still on global instead of 1XEV?
    06-23-10 01:52 PM
    Is it still on global instead of 1XEV?
    Yep, changed it to 1XEV and have switched from Automatic to Home Only and vice versa. Same fluctuating signal.
    06-23-10 01:56 PM
    Did you update the PRL? Also I assume you're running VZ's 5.0.0.732 OS.
    06-23-10 01:57 PM
    Did you update the PRL? Also I assume you're running VZ's 5.0.0.732 OS.
    Doesn't it update when you activate it? But I don't live in a roaming area so don't think *228 benefits me.

And yes .732.
    06-23-10 02:03 PM
    The PRL affects more than just roaming. I'd update it.
    06-23-10 02:04 PM
    OK I'll do that even though I think it's more a hardware problem. My previous phone (Storm2) didn't have this issue - at least not as much.
    06-23-10 02:08 PM
    You seem to be a treasure trove of knowledge - Thanks. Would you have a good link to explain PRL? If I understand, it is a CDMA thing...I came from ATT.
    thanks for your help.
    06-23-10 02:08 PM
    06-23-10 02:11 PM
    I flipped mine, and changed the network settings mentioned above. Battery life seems better, but that could just be my imagination too I suppose!
    06-23-10 02:13 PM
    Thank you. I am now better educated.
    06-23-10 02:17 PM
    I've got mine set to 1XEV and automatic - should it be set to Home...?
    06-23-10 03:29 PM
    I've got mine set to 1XEV and automatic - should it be set to Home...?
    I also have SIM flipped and set to 1XEV. I to am wondering about setting the network to Home only. What would be the advantages/disadvantages?
    06-23-10 03:43 PM
    I have a question.
    What is the difference between having the Network Technology set to Global or 1XEV???? I guess I just don't understand that.
    06-23-10 03:52 PM
    I have a question.
    What is the difference between having the Network Technology set to Global or 1XEV???? I guess I just don't understand that.
    Global = CDMA + GSM
    If you are going to travel internationally where there is no CDMA network. Your SIM card must be installed for this to function.

1XEV = Verizon's 3G CDMA network.
    If you are staying in the USA then you can flip or remove your SIM card (since you won't need GSM) and have the phone only work off 3G CDMA.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think the logic is that your phone won't be trying to find a GSM signal...it will only seek CDMA signals.
    06-23-10 04:05 PM
    I to am wondering about setting the network to Home only. What would be the advantages/disadvantages?
    I'm going out on a limb here...
    Home = VZW CDMA network only...not roaming on Sprint or other CDMA towers
    Automatic = VZW + roaming on any other CDMA networks

I'm not certain of the specific advantages.
    06-23-10 04:09 PM
    Global = CDMA + GSM
    If you are going to travel internationally where there is no CDMA network. Your SIM card must be installed for this to function.

1XEV = Verizon's 3G CDMA network.
    If you are staying in the USA then you can flip or remove your SIM card (since you won't need GSM) and have the phone only work off 3G CDMA.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think the logic is that your phone won't be trying to find a GSM signal...it will only seek CDMA signals.
    Thanks! I took my sim card out and just wondered if the phone would funtion any better or save battery by changing it to 1XEV or if it did not matter if you have the sim card out ot flipped around.
    06-23-10 04:09 PM
    i'm assuming its behind the battery...

====================
    Edit-

I see it but how do you get to it to get it out..??
    06-23-10 04:13 PM

====================
    Edit-

Take out the battery and then you can slide it out in the opposite direction of the arrow on top of it (ie it slides toward the battery, which is why you must remove the battery first). Although my sim was so tightly jammed into the phone that I left it as is for now. Signal's pretty stable for me and no noticeable battery drain.
    Last edited by MrWheelMan; 06-23-10 at 04:27 PM.
    06-23-10 04:24 PM

====================
    Edit-

Remove the battery, then gently push on the end of the card that is closest to the latch for the cover. The card slides out toward battery. Be careful - you don't want to bend it.
    Then you can either remove it or flip it over so the gold circuitry faces up toward you...slide the card back in place.
    If you ever travel internationally then you will need to return the SIM card and change your Mobile Network settings back.
    06-23-10 04:25 PM
    I'm going out on a limb here...
    Home = VZW CDMA network only...not roaming on Sprint or other CDMA towers
    Automatic = VZW + roaming on any other CDMA networks

I'm not certain of the specific advantages.
    Yeah that's pretty much what it does. Just worth a try to see if it's better if you've tried everything else and it didn't do much.

Otherwise you can just leave it on automatic.
    06-23-10 04:27 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD