hi everyone,

i upgraded to the 9700 last week. regarding the tilted keyboard, i notice that the keys on the right side lie more flat than the left side. i wonder if this is by design (the keys with numbers on them are meant to angle out more to make them easier to dial numbers?) or if this is a defect on my particular device. i took it back to the telus store, and was told that it was normal and the manager refused to exchange it, even though i only got the phone last week. they showed me an employee's device which the manager said had the same angles - but i could see and feel the difference. the visual difference is so slight, but i could feel the keyboard was different.

when i first got the phone, i found i was typing "h"s, "j"s and "k"s more than once because they are flatter and don't "click" the same as the other buttons. i've gotten used to it now and it doesn't happen as much, but it still bothers me.

i also heard that all telus phones are made in canada, but mine is made in mexico 4...

i'd appreciate your thoughts/insight. thanks!
    05-16-10 05:54 PM
    I rub my keyboard about evryday wondering the same thing. I've concluded that the right side is more flush, like you said. If anyone wants to test, rub your thumbs from the outer edge inward, and see what you think

My only conclusion has been that maybe they wanted the numbers easier to press??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 06:21 PM
    update: this was driving me batty, so i took it back to a second store. the guys working here gave me a new bold with no questions. this phone is MUCH better, clearly there was something wrong with my first one.

i examined the new one for an eternity to make sure there were no other problems...trackpad doesn't wobble or lean? check. bezel is secure? check. minimal backlight leaks? check. all the keys work on the keyboard and they are uniformly slanted? CHECK!

if anyone else thinks their keyboard is wonky and you're still within your time limit to return/exchange, do it! and if they tell you no, just try other stores, haha.
    05-24-10 06:29 PM
    mmmiko, next time you have an issue, call Telus from a landline. There are barely any corporate stores out there. Most are franchisees/licensees. Corporate or not, almost every store will NOT have a person present with any real expertise. Their customer service reps on the phone will likely believe you sight unseen and send you a replacement unit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 10:00 PM
    mmmiko, next time you have an issue, call Telus from a landline. There are barely any corporate stores out there. Most are franchisees/licensees. Corporate or not, almost every store will NOT have a person present with any real expertise. Their customer service reps on the phone will likely believe you sight unseen and send you a replacement unit.
    thanks for the idea, but i tried that...twice. nothing. the only thing they did was encourage me to return it. i did so once, and got a miserable-with-life manager who told me there was nothing wrong with the phone, although she didn't deny she could see a difference in the keyboard. i called customer support again, and they told me to try another store, and if that didn't work, another store, and another store...
    05-25-10 07:13 PM
    I reckon you can see the difference by looking at the end of the phone from the bottom and across the keys, and tiliting so you can only see the last row. The Left Caps and 0 have higher peaks than Sym and Right Caps.

Until this thread I had no concept that they were different at all...
    05-25-10 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD