I just attempted to play a FLAC file on my blackberry, and got only the error message.

There is another thread where a BB 9700 appears to play FLAC files.

Wondering if this is just something that the 9650 does not do.

Thanks
    Kelton
    P.S. I'm attempt to put my new remastered Beatles CD collection (in stereo and MONO!) on my blackberry in FLAC.
    06-27-10 01:56 PM
    How did you put the files on your media card?

I have a 9000, and I can play .flac files. I do not use Media Manager, though. I do not even have it installed on my PC. I have the version of Desktop Manager without Media Manager.

I dragged and dropped the .flac files like I do with .mp3 using Windows Explorer.
    06-27-10 02:03 PM
    I do not think that the Bold phones will play audio files in the Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) format. From the BlackBerry.com website I got these as the supported audio formats for the device

Audio format support: MP3, MIDI, AMR-NB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA

I was a little surprised to see that WAV was not supported but I guess that MP3 at 320kbps would be just about lossless.

I doubt that listening to really high quality playback on the BlackBerry is viable using headphones that can be driven to realistic volume levels from the phone.
    06-27-10 02:07 PM
    So much for manufacturers specifications. I just dragged and dropped a .flac file to my media card and selected it using the Files app and it played perfectly.

I am running OS 5.0.5.743 so maybe they added flac support in later revisions.

Thanks, Laura.
    06-27-10 02:18 PM
    thanks,

I just dragged the FLAC file into my blackberry's music folder. I was able to, then, find that file on my blackberry, but when I clicked the play icon... I got the error message.

Strange that the 9700 can play it.

I understand that it isn't entirely practical to play FLAC through a blackberry, but I want to have them there (in a readily accessible storage) in case I want to share the music with someone else... or drag it onto another, more hi-fi type of audio system.

At the same time, I can just listen to those FLAC files, too.... would rather not have to store mp3 files for my own listening, and the FLAC for high quality storage needs.
    06-27-10 02:22 PM
    So much for manufacturers specifications. I just dragged and dropped a .flac file to my media card and selected it using the Files app and it played perfectly.

I am running OS 5.0.5.743 so maybe they added flac support in later revisions.

Thanks, Laura.
    I have no idea. Maybe the CDMA devices do not play .flac? Although I have no idea why there would be a difference.
    06-27-10 02:22 PM
    I'm running version 5.0.0.732 on my 9650 Bold.

I thought that was the latest! maybe not?
    06-27-10 02:26 PM
    I have no idea. Maybe the CDMA devices do not play .flac? Although I have no idea why there would be a difference.
    If true, that WOULD be a turn up for the book.

I shall wait until the OP returns. Maybe he had a corrupted file or maybe something else was wrong.

I play about quite a bit with audio and at one time had a 16 track didgtal studio. I have had a lifelong love of sound systems and music. I used to design tube amps and loudspeaker systems for a living.

My son and I had a 10000 watt PA for live gigs. It was LOUD!
    06-27-10 02:27 PM
    The album I successfully played is "The Slip" by Nine Inch Nails. It is free to download, so that is why I am giving the link here. Even if you are not a Nine Inch Nails fan, you can try the FLAC version to see if it works.
    06-27-10 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD