07-01-11 12:11 PM
252 ... 23456 ...
tools
    ...seems like the likelihood of getting a non-slanted pad straight from vzw is very low.
    As I posted in another thread about the crooked trackpad issues, I was at my local VZW company store a couple weeks ago on business unrelated to my 9650. While there, I wandered over to the three 9650s out and on on display / touchable--all three had trackpads that were slightly elevated on the left side, as is the trackpad on mine (FedEx delivered mine early in June). FWIW.
    06-29-10 08:29 PM
    I just fixed my pad. Took about 10-15 minutes, used the exact tools from the video (I had some of those plastic things from some ipod repair I've done). Used 1 piece of electrical tape across the whole bottom and then a small piece that just covered the (if looking down at the back of the pad) right side (side with ribbon cable connected to it), now the pads as straight as an arrow.

Thanks again Troggie and bobby950
    06-29-10 08:53 PM
    Well, I got my pry tools in the mail. I ordered an earpiece cover (just in case). I watched every video I could find. I practiced taking my old Tour apart. I took a deep breath, said a prayer and jumped in with both feet.

Twenty minutes later, I have a straight trackpad. I used one piece of electrical tape. I removed the earpiece cover from the bottom instead of the top as some videos suggested. The tabs remained intact. The two-sided tape got twisted and ruined, so I removed it. I didn't understand what purpose the tape had [over and above the six tabs] until I put it back together and talked on the phone. The tape held the earpiece rigid and in place so as to squelch any squeaking as it pressed against the ear. I remedied the squeaking by placing a couple dabs of silicon adhesive on the corners of the earpiece. I was even able to remove the tamper seal and replace it without any outward signs of it ever having been so much as looked at. Afterward, I relished the success by sipping a Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier.

To anyone who's the slightest bit apprehensive ...I say, "Get pry tools and go for it. ...It's unbelievably simple!"

Props to Troggie and Bobby950!
    Last edited by RegE; 06-30-10 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Crop images
    06-29-10 10:42 PM
    That looks great! So you just did one piece of tape across the whole thing, nothing extra on the right? It looks like, in the 3rd pic, that the tape is over the ribbon cable a bit.
    06-29-10 11:01 PM
    I got my plastic tools today, also but am not rushing into anything especially not into the BB. I figured they would be good to have in the event....
    06-29-10 11:36 PM
    That looks great! So you just did one piece of tape across the whole thing, nothing extra on the right? It looks like, in the 3rd pic, that the tape is over the ribbon cable a bit.
    No, I just used one piece of tape. I used the trackpad cage as a template for cutting the square piece of tape. That slight elevation you see in image #3 is the tape covering the small piece of foam RIM installed in an effort to counter the effects of the cable pulling the right side downwards. Problem is, the foam was not dense enough. Placing the tape over the foam seems to add just the proper amount of density and cushion, and allows the trackpad to 'float' evenly and level as it was designed. I also put a slight crimp in the ribbon cable to create a strain relief.
    diegonei likes this.
    06-30-10 12:18 AM
    To anyone who's the slightest bit apprehensive ...I say, "Get pry tools and go for it. ...It's unbelievably simple!"

Props to Troggie and Bobby950!
    Thanks RegE!

Now I feel like opening min back up and using electrical tape instead. It definitely seems like the best way to go.

I wonder if there's anything different about the 9650s that don't have this tilt problem. Like maybe RIM switched to a higher density foam or there's a kink in the cable to reduce the pressure on the right side.

The ear piece is definitely the hardest part, but you can always just order a new one or get the pry tools. Super-easy!
    06-30-10 11:45 AM
    RegE, when taking off the earpiece cover from the bottom, with the safe pry tool, was it easy enough to get under the lip of the piece without marring it? I really can't stand the crooked pad! Verizon sent me another one, and while this unit is better, it's still a bit tilted. I would just hate to mar the earpiece (but as you say, I guess you could just order another one for a couple of bucks).
    06-30-10 12:15 PM
    ...I wonder if there's anything different about the 9650s that don't have this tilt problem. Like maybe RIM switched to a higher density foam or there's a kink in the cable to reduce the pressure on the right side.
    I think if they molded the ribbon cable with a kink, that would solve the problem. I also think the foam was installed to prevent the cable from abrading against the sharp edge of the board, not to counter the slant.

...when taking off the earpiece cover from the bottom, with the safe pry tool, was it easy enough to get under the lip of the piece without marring it?
    The pry tools leave no mars. Don't sweat it! The worst that can happen is that you break a tab. If you do, a new cover cost $10
    06-30-10 12:44 PM
    Im with you girl.....how about we just get one of them to do it for us
    LOL i know right!!!
    06-30-10 02:29 PM
    im to afraid to try this it doesn't bother me that much...
    06-30-10 02:32 PM
    man i wish i had the cojones to open mine up but i'm a little chicken lol!
    Im with you girl.....how about we just get one of them to do it for us
    Don't be afraid! Just think how proud your significant other will be of you. Lol
    06-30-10 02:41 PM
    Don't be afraid! Just think how proud your significant other will be of you. Lol
    he's in school and i do his homework...he has a very nice GPA cuz of me...he already better be proud LOL
    06-30-10 02:43 PM
    I'm wondering too - when all you guys have had your Bolds apart, did anyone take the time to see if it's the lens on the camera that rattles, vs the camera itself? If it's the lens, seems like a good time to tighten that up is when the cover is off.
    06-30-10 03:21 PM
    My phone makes a slight rattling noise; however, I saw nothing loose inside. I assume and attribute the rattling to the lens. If the lens is rattling, it's internal and inaccessible. On a point-and-shoot camera, you need the lens to float (rattle). That's what allows it to focus freely. I wouldn't monkey with anything inside other than laying down a piece of tape and calling it a day. Beyond that, you're playing with fire.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 03:40 PM
    I hear you. I was just thinking, if the clear lens on the case back was loose, you might be able to do something about it. But I agree, if it's the camera, there's nothing you can do, nor should you. My Tour was the same.
    06-30-10 03:49 PM
    so im planning to attempt to fix my sideways trackpad, just have a few questions before i start. keep in mind ive never done anything like this and dont have any tools what so ever.

What is the best website to order the tool kit to open the bold?

What material should i use under the trackpad? the concensus seems to be electrical tape or a business card/flashcard so which one should i use?

Do you need one just flat piece of electrical tape/card or do u need a second little piece to prop up the side slanting down?

thanks for helping me out in advance
    06-30-10 06:06 PM
    I ordered the tools from a place mentioned in this thread, I believe, Repairs Universe. I got them quickly but am not rushing into my Bold but since I used a plastic citrus peeler to work on my 8830 a while back I figured these tools could be handy in any event.
    06-30-10 10:22 PM
    I've ordered the the plastic pryer tools from Repairs Universe, but I'm curious. Does anyone know where I could order another plastic earpiece just in case it snaps on me?
    07-02-10 05:04 PM
    I was wondering the exact same thing. I tried to find it online but couldn't.
    07-02-10 05:48 PM
    Try cnn.cn - Are the Tour colors/pieces the same?
    07-02-10 06:00 PM
    I used to get some stuff for my 8330 from cnn.cn

They may have what you need.
    07-02-10 06:01 PM
    Beat me to it F2... haha!
    07-02-10 06:02 PM
    Yes, I did!

I got a "white lights" keyboard for my 8830 from them. Only problem was you have to sign in person for the customs slip, as I recall.
    07-02-10 07:14 PM
    I wished there was a better way to fix the trackpad without taking your device apart. I remember the last time I took my Curve apart--- it gather more dust underneath the screen than I wanted. Swore I would never disassemble my BB again. Oh well, I'm living with the imprefection of my Bold and I'm happy with it.
    07-02-10 09:59 PM
252 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD