Is it true that the earpiece cover is held in place with the two tabs as well as glue / tape? If so, how did you re-secure the cover? Does the integrity of the cover appear to be the same? ...no creaks or shifting?
    It's exactly the same as the Tour. There are two little tabs on the top that extend under the chrome bezel. Double-sided tape is used along the edge closest to the screen. Also, there are 4 clips on the inside that just snap in or out of place. The best method to remove this part would be how it was done in the video Bobby posted.
    06-24-10 05:42 PM
    I think it's sad that RIM can't get their production in order. I was one that received a 9650 to replace a faulty 9630. It's to the point now, where I am going to a different manufacture. One that can produce their products correctly.
    I love my berry, but with the screwed up storm, then the screwed up tour, now the screwed up bold.... I'm done.
    I'll be sporting the new "X" when it's released, and the bold will be up for sale. I'll post it in the marketplace when the "X" gets here....

So RIM, if you're reading these post by chance, I'm one of the many customers you'll be losing because your manufacturing process sucks!! Maybe two years from now, you'll decide to produce a quality device, and I'll be back... Until then, thanks for the frustration!!!
    You might want to check all the reports on most of the major phones that have been released recently even from other manufacturers (iphone 4, EVO, etc).

There's build issues all over the place.
    06-24-10 05:52 PM
    Wonder how a piece (or two) of electrical tape would work instead of scotch tape?
    One piece of electrical tape is likely very close to two pieces of scotch tape, and more appropriate for the inside of an electronic device. Good idea.
    06-24-10 06:05 PM
    One piece of electrical tape is likely very close to two pieces of scotch tape, and more appropriate for the inside of an electronic device. Good idea.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking...
    06-24-10 06:09 PM
    Just did this. It's a T6, not a T7. That youtube video definitely helped. I ended up using 4 pieces of tape. I suspect I had thinner tape or something.
    06-24-10 06:18 PM
    i gotta get one of those plastic pry tools. i nicked the plastic a bit. if you have really trimmed fingernails or don't have one of these tools, you'll want it for the removal of the top bit of the phone.
    06-24-10 06:21 PM
    just got it done and feels much better. no weird creaks but my trackpad seems to be not as high as the pics
    06-24-10 06:48 PM
    Now if you could just figure out how to make the keys flat and level. I hit the j instead of the h about every other time.
    06-24-10 06:57 PM
    What really puzzled me was why they used such a flimsy piece of foam in there to bring up the right side. They should have used some higher density foam around the whole outside edge, leaving a hollow spot in the middle for the button.
    I see why. The reason for the tilt is because the ribbon for the trackpad isn't pre-bent so it pulls the right side down, trying to straighten out. The foam is there to support the ribbon and hold the right side up but when you press the trackpad button, it needs to move down along with the ribbon. Could be a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw. Bending the ribbon helps a bit.

I had to take it apart again because the tape was too thick. I might've put 3 layers in there. I replaced it with 2 and now it's ok. Why? Because every time I pressed the escape key, it would press the trackpad button too. Duh me. The trackpad is just a fraction of a hair off again. I don't care anymore. I also bent one of the contacts to the speaker so I wasn't getting any sounds or ringers. Fixed all the little problems and all's well again.

To answer a few other questions...

The earpiece is held on by 2 tabs on top and 2 very small ones on the sides by the buttons. The 2 sided tape that runs parallel with the screen is still tacky (after taking it apart twice) so there's no issue reusing it. Just becareful not to touch it too much while taking it apart and putting back together.

I took the little white dot sticker off with a safety pin and replaced it. Yes, it's a bit warped but this wouldn't be an issue if they knew how to put the damn thing together properly in the first place. I don't see having to warranty'ing this unit anytime soon anyway.

I didn't have electrical tape handy. I did have scotch tape on my desk though
    06-24-10 07:01 PM
    Ok... took a quick pic. I can tell by feel that its still better than what it was before.

06-24-10 07:13 PM
    I wish I had the gonads to open up my device like that...
    06-24-10 07:19 PM
    I just ordered a set of those plastic pry tools from Repairs Universe. As soon as they get here, I'm gonna bite the bullet. I must say Bobby950, after reading about the speaker issue, I've become a little more apprehensive but I'm gonna go for it anyway. Good Job!
    06-24-10 07:30 PM
    gonna rip mine open this weekend and fix my trackpad.
    thanks for the link and the pics.
    06-24-10 07:48 PM
    Ah, so is the button under the scotch tape in the pics? If so, I wonder if electrical tape might be too thick, and inhibit the easy click of the pad. Thoughts?

So basically, the idea here is that the modification is creating a more suitable base under the entire pad right, not just the right side? Since the left side is lifted by the nature of the design with the ribbon cable location, the new "base" helps raise the right side? Sort of creates a ledge for it to sit on?
    06-24-10 08:03 PM
    One last question too - when you take it apart, is there a clear lens between the actual LCD and the front of the phone, or is that screen we can touch the actual LCD itself? Just wondering if you need to worry about trapped dust while it's apart.
    06-24-10 08:38 PM
    It's not as bad as it looks. The speaker issue is because there are 2 contacts and while you're occupied with the headphone jack, the other side gets caught up. You'll see what I mean when you open it up.

The button is in the trackpad. The tape just covers a plastic mount and raises the trackpad assembly up to the bezel so it's more even.

You never move the lcd off the bezel so no worries about getting lint in there.
    06-24-10 09:29 PM
    On the LCD, I meant getting lint between the LCD and a clear screen. Don't you have to access the trackpad from the front, meaning you must remove the front bezel?
    06-24-10 09:48 PM
    The LCD stays where it is. The lower part where the keys are comes off the bezel.
    06-24-10 10:04 PM
    man i wish i had the cojones to open mine up but i'm a little chicken lol!
    06-24-10 11:43 PM
    I just ordered a set of those plastic pry tools from Repairs Universe. As soon as they get here, I'm gonna bite the bullet. I must say Bobby950, after reading about the speaker issue, I've become a little more apprehensive but I'm gonna go for it anyway. Good Job!
    Thanks fo rthe plastic pry tools reference. While I have ordered them - it is a just in case purchase. I am not yet ready to play Doctor Kildair.
    06-25-10 12:03 AM
    I think it's sad that RIM can't get their production in order. I was one that received a 9650 to replace a faulty 9630. It's to the point now, where I am going to a different manufacture. One that can produce their products correctly.
    Agree with the other post - you honestly think that HTC (screen separation issue), Apple (signal strength issues, back of devices cracking, screen separation), or Motorola (don't even get me started on the p-o-s T720) do a better job?
    06-25-10 11:13 AM
    Ok... took a quick pic. I can tell by feel that its still better than what it was before.

Wow your fixed trackpad looks like mine straight from the factory. I was wondering why everyone was complaining so much, I thought it was rather insignificant... If peoples are worse than this no wonder they notice it so much.
    It is such a minor design flaw though, glad the device works and the screen is not coming apart like other devices.
    06-25-10 01:17 PM
    I honestly cant tell if mines slanted or not. However it does push on one side, meaning it almost feels like its hinged and when I press it the left side goes down, but not really the right. If I deliberately press on only the right side it still works, but doesn't have a positive "click" when I press on it or move all that much.

Good job though, your definitely more brave than I am. I couldn't tear open my brand new phone like that, too afraid Id mess something up.
    06-25-10 02:31 PM
    thanks for the tips and tricks. did mine and fixed the issue. little nervous during the process but no problems.
    06-25-10 06:52 PM
    I'm most worried about removing the earpiece. Worried I'll snap it or break the tabs. How did you get it off? I watched numerous videos and saw it removed from the top (between the standby and mute buttons) and from between the bottom of the piece and the screen.

For your repair, did you go piece of business card, scotch tape, or electrical tape? I pic of the newly leveled pad would be awesome!
    06-25-10 07:26 PM
252 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD