07-01-11 12:11 PM
252 ... 891011
tools
    But I'm wondering if the novelty of the slider would wear off quickly. Meaning, every time you reply to an email, text, etc, you have to slide it open unless you use the software keyboard. I think that might get tiresome after a while, vs just having the keyboard right there.
    That's EXACTLY why I didn't want the Slider.
    08-27-10 03:51 PM
    Crooked trackpad fix worked perfectly for my 9650 - I went with the electrical tape method. One layer seems to have done the trick for me.

Thanks to all who have contributed their experience and advice to this thread.
    08-31-10 03:30 PM
    I FIXED MY BOLD 9650 !!! I am a regular college student with no experience in electronic devices. If you are hesitant, don't be. This was not hard to do. Follow the instructions for disassembly in the You Tube video from page 1. You don't need a plastic pry tool to remove the earpiece cover. I used a thin guitar pick to do the job and didn't harm it at all.

The crooked trackpad sucked. I don't care if you wanna call me OCD. My phone feels sooooo much better now, and it's easier to use! Read this thread and GO FOR IT! ( do be careful though as tiny phone parts are indeed sensitive).

- TJ from Jefferson City, TN
    09-03-10 01:07 AM
    Just came across this thread. Thanks for the great info. It took me about 10 minutes and done. I had taken my 9630 apart before so I knew the routine, I just didn't know how to get to the trackpad. Thanks, its now straight as an arrow.
    09-19-10 06:43 AM
    this totally worked im so happy with my phone now and i have os 6 which makes it better
    10-26-10 12:31 PM
    can anyone tell me if it is easy or possible to put a new "cap" on your trackpad? from the pics ive seen online the original cap looks soldered on, I need to replace mine, and I would rather spend 4 bucks on a cap, than 15 bucks on the whole trackpad
    10-31-10 09:30 PM
    Not sure what you're referring to as a 'cap'. Are you referring to the silver ring / border around the pad?
    11-01-10 04:51 PM
    Not sure what you're referring to as a 'cap'. Are you referring to the silver ring / border around the pad?
    If you search ebay for 9700 trackpad you will see what I mean, they sell them in all different colors

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-01-10 05:21 PM
    Just looked at the caps on eBay. It's kinda hard to ascertain exactly how it's secured to the existing trackpad; however, it appears that it's literally a cap that sits over the existing trackpad and is held in place by the retaining ring that holds the trackpad in place.

The trackpad is 'free-floating' and the ring that I'm referring to can only be seen when the phone disassembled. It sits around the trackpad [and over the protruding ledge of the trackpad] and snaps into the board with three tabs - thereby holding the trackpad in place.

If I'm correct, to install the cap, you'd have to remove the retaining ring, drop the cap onto the trackpad and replace the retaining ring over the new cap. The only question remaining would be, 'how thick is the protruding ledge on the cap'? The thickness of the ledge (now two ledges) would affect your tactile responsiveness. It would cause the trackpad so sit lower in the well, thereby affording you less 'movement' within the well and possibly causing you to have increased accidental trackpad depressions.

Hope this makes sense
    11-02-10 03:49 PM
    it doesn't bother me. works fine and that is all that matters to me.
    11-02-10 04:31 PM
    forgot to mention this any future issues you have with your bold because you played around and "fixed" the trackpad, you may have voided out your warranty
    11-02-10 04:32 PM
    a surgeon? seriously? i hope i don't end up on your table. if you buy something, you have EVERY right to take it apart and do whatever you wish.

i don't think these people are renting their blackberries...they own them.
    One thing.

ROFL
    11-02-10 05:37 PM
    I'm just wondering if the trackpad sinks more as time goes on?
    Sinking further is not possible. The underside of the trackpad is curved (imagine it being on a 1/4" ball bearing), and sitting on a solid foundation. The reason it's slanted is because the ribbon cable does not have enough slack in it and it's pulling the trackpad off-center to the right. The foam is designed to create a 'deck' for the cable to sit on to alleviate the strain; however, it's not dense enough. If the foam were more dense, the cable wouldn't be able to pull the right side of the trackpad downward and the trackpad would sit level.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 02:55 AM
    Death has won.
    Deathcommand-1
    TrackPad-0

I'm so happy.
    No external Damage, No internal damage. Just vibrated, screen works, speaker works, ear phones work, light works, all buttons work, Trackpad is perfectly straight. Epic win.

Thank you so much.

I forgot to mention. I am a 16 year old. so... You can take that as you want, whether a handicap for lack of experience or a gift for having smaller fingers.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 11-05-10 at 08:42 AM.
    11-05-10 08:39 AM
    Death has won.
    Deathcommand-1
    TrackPad-0

I'm so happy.
    No external Damage, No internal damage. Just vibrated, screen works, speaker works, ear phones work, light works, all buttons work, Trackpad is perfectly straight. Epic win.

Thank you so much.

I forgot to mention. I am a 16 year old. so... You can take that as you want, whether a handicap for lack of experience or a gift for having smaller fingers.
    Congrats!!! Nice job! You have a future...maybe other users will be wanting to mail you their Bolds for repair? LOL
    11-05-10 10:23 AM
    Lol. It was with a minus head screw driver
    Then a T6 driver, there was a random kid with BlackBerry take apart experience at my school so he let me borrow the driver.

Remember not to use screw drivers with a magnetic charge on them to pry the contacts off :P I kinda.. Sorta did. I was scared.

11-06-10 07:30 PM
    just fixed the trackpad issue. used the video on youtube to break down the device but instead of using a piece of tape, cut an index card to the size of the trackpad and used that instead. works like a dream now. although many people do not notice the problem with the tilted trackpad, for the people who do it is very annoying and this is by far and away the best way to fix it.
    11-11-10 05:36 PM
    I just fixed my crooked trackpad as well,i used electrical tape one full piece and a half piece on the right side by the foam and its perfect now..Well worth the 15 minutes to fix
    11-18-10 11:11 AM
    Thank you for this thread!

11-20-10 10:51 AM
    this thread is awesome i used 4 strips of scotch tape right next to the foam and it worked flawlessly. i was even able to take off the ear piece section with my nail and not break anything. thanks again great idea!!
    11-20-10 11:10 PM
    also replaced the bezel and broke one of the wire straps on the mute button wile trying to transfer o new bezel. Will order bezel with the buttons next time as I never use them anyway. But the track pad is fixed. Thanks for the advise!
    12-26-10 02:30 PM
    Hi guys! Does anyone of you notice one weird thing - the bar between the screen and the bezel is stright line for blackberry 9630 and arc for blackberry 9650(see photo). Does it connected with trackpad issues?
    01-07-11 03:05 PM
    I did notice that. Very subtle. I'm thinking they needed a little more height for the trackpad vs the trackball, but that is not the cause of the tilt.
    01-07-11 03:07 PM
    Hi guys! Does anyone of you notice one weird thing - the bar between the screen and the bezel is stright line for blackberry 9630 and arc for blackberry 9650(see photo). Does it connected with trackpad issues?
    There were plenty of threads about this when the 9650 was released last year. The keypad is raised I don't see as weird it's the way it is.
    01-07-11 10:44 PM
    Thanks Troggie!!!

I only noticed the track pad after reading about it in the forums. It still didn't bother me that much but you made it sound so easy so I gave it a shot. And took a few pics. Sorry, no before pics but I'd say the right side was .5-.8mm lower than the left. Not much but definitely noticeable.

I used to take it apart. Be gentle and don't force it too much or you'll break something. In the video, the Tour has 1 antenna. The Bold has 2 (wifi). The connectors are on either side of the circuit board.

Once you get to the back of the trackpad, there's 3 clips that hold the bezel on the circuit board. I unclipped the side with one clip and it swiveled off. I arrowed the clips in this pic.

Once you get the bezel off, you flip it over and the trackpad comes off. I put 2 layers of scotch tape, cut to size. I had 4 layers but it was too thick. That's how minute the adjustment needs to be. Once you get the tape on, put everything back together.

And now you have a perfectly aligned trackpad.

Does anyone happen to note down or memorize or remember the trackpad hardware id HDW-xxx-xxx? or perhaps coincidentally still in the middle of disassembling/assembling your essex

Can anyone tell me what HDW are yours? Is it HDW-28499-002?
    01-12-11 11:33 PM
252 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD