Anyone else have the paint on the dimple on the D(5) key wear off on the 9650?
    07-18-10 12:43 PM
    Thanks for the great post. Just fixed mine this afternoon.

07-18-10 01:43 PM
    FYI....I just got two new 9650 for my kids they were upgrades
    build mexico5, build date 6-17-10 trackpads perfect. I also have 2
    FRU 6-04 & 6-05 slanted t pads maybe they figured it out and
    fixed it
    07-18-10 03:34 PM
    thanks to bobby950, and the folks , that posted the close up picks, and how to's to fix this little crooked pad issue... I just did mine, only took I guess 15 min maybe. the video how to take apart was a help too. leave it to the crackberry guru's to fix RIM's mistakes. LOL

thanks again,
    chris
    07-18-10 06:53 PM
    heres is some pics.
    07-18-10 07:23 PM
    Anyone else have the paint on the dimple on the D(5) key wear off on the 9650?
    I actually just noticed this on mine a couple days ago. I figured it was from the sliding in and out of my holster. It doesn't bother me that much, as long as no more paint starts coming off. I could always use a sharpie or tiny bit of nail polish to cover it.
    07-23-10 12:58 PM
    I actually just noticed this on mine a couple days ago. I figured it was from the sliding in and out of my holster. It doesn't bother me that much, as long as no more paint starts coming off. I could always use a sharpie or tiny bit of nail polish to cover it.
    Thats what wore off first and now I have at least a little paint off of 16 different keys. Tried getting a different phone but every phone they sent me was crap. I went back to the one with paint off. The phone works perfect track pad is almost perfect and battery life is great. Guess the paint is something I will live with.
    07-23-10 01:16 PM
    Well, since you have experience with disassembling the device, just replace the keyboard. It's 1/10th the effort of the trackpad. Lol
    07-23-10 01:25 PM
    Well, since you have experience with disassembling the device, just replace the keyboard. It's 1/10th the effort of the trackpad. Lol
    If I knew I would not screw anything up thats what I would do for sure! Knowing my luck I won't get something put back together right! I asked at the store if they could do it and they said no. Oh well.....at least everything works good!
    07-23-10 02:55 PM
    Hmm... if it starts with that spot and gets worse, maybe I should preemptively fix it. Perhaps removing the keyboard and spraying on a thin layer of clear coat? I could even go with a satin finish... hmm...
    07-23-10 04:48 PM
    I would advise against clearcoating a keyboard with moving parts. Clearcoat can be a bit sticky and the clearcoat is going to go everywhere (in between the keys, etc).
    07-23-10 04:50 PM
    The keyboard is an easy fix. Speaking of the keyboard, a quick question. I was having a drink at BWI airport yesterday, and the woman sitting next to me had what I would would swear was a Bold 9650 on AT&T. Is that right? AT&T isn't CDMA is it? Don't know what phone it could have been otherwise, but it looked just like my phone in all ways, except one that I liked. The keyboard didn't have red numbers on it, they were all white. Basically, an all white keyboard. I like that.
    07-23-10 05:30 PM
    Are you sure that wasnt the 9000? The 9000 had an all white keyboard. A bunch of people didn't like the all white keyboard because the numbers were less obvious, so they swapped them out later with red keyboards as one of the common "mods".
    07-23-10 05:38 PM
    I was wondering if they changed the manufacturing process for the keyboards. I thought maybe at one time the "LETTERS" might have been a solid, translucent and around that was the rest of the key molder in opaque material rather than just a surface paint.

But I just found the original keyboard from my 8830 (the verizon version with the awful blue-lit letters and silver keys) and I found that the silver was just a thin coat over the translucent blue key body.

So I guess that they must have changed the "brand of paint" or something similar where the keys are wearing thin so quickly.
    07-23-10 06:24 PM
    Are you sure that wasnt the 9000? The 9000 had an all white keyboard. A bunch of people didn't like the all white keyboard because the numbers were less obvious, so they swapped them out later with red keyboards as one of the common "mods".
    Just looked at a 9000. That wasn't it. It had a trackpad and the bezel just like a 9650 or Tour 9630.
    07-23-10 06:33 PM
    You can use a 9630 or a 9650 on GSM carriers unlocked (edge only).

Also you can buy the bottom part under the keyboard to swap the carrier name on the phone (which people often do).
    07-23-10 06:35 PM
    Looking at this woman, and how she treated the phone, I doubt she did anything like that to the phone. But as I look at AT&T's website, I'm thinking it was a 9700.
    07-23-10 06:36 PM
    The 9700 should be easy to spot the difference, there's no bezel on the sides of the keys.
    07-23-10 06:39 PM
    Not sure what you mean. Looking at the picture on the AT&T website, it looks just like a 9650 from the top. I still want to say it was a 9650, with an all white keyboard. I'm sure I'm misstaken, but it sure did look like one.
    07-23-10 07:09 PM
    Instead of having the bezel around the lcd and the keyboard, the 9700 is thinner and the sides are beveled down.

AT&T Blackberry 9700 Photos | AT&T cell phones|AT&T Phones
    07-23-10 07:21 PM
    Yup, pretty sure it was a 9700 after looking at those photos. Thanks.
    07-23-10 07:47 PM
    i used part of a vzw business card to fix mine and it lookes great. it doesnt click that same, should i use tape instead?
    07-26-10 03:14 PM
    Does it feel too soft/non tactile? If so, I'm guessing the card was a bit too thick. My two piece of tape felt that way, but after a while of use, it must have compressed and it felt better. But the card may not compress.
    07-26-10 03:19 PM
    ill try that
    07-26-10 03:21 PM
    Well, I got my pry tools in the mail. I ordered an earpiece cover (just in case). I watched every video I could find. I practiced taking my old Tour apart. I took a deep breath, said a prayer and jumped in with both feet.

Twenty minutes later, I have a straight trackpad. I used one piece of electrical tape. I removed the earpiece cover from the bottom instead of the top as some videos suggested. The tabs remained intact. The two-sided tape got twisted and ruined, so I removed it. I didn't understand what purpose the tape had [over and above the six tabs] until I put it back together and talked on the phone. The tape held the earpiece rigid and in place so as to squelch any squeaking as it pressed against the ear. I remedied the squeaking by placing a couple dabs of silicon adhesive on the corners of the earpiece. I was even able to remove the tamper seal and replace it without any outward signs of it ever having been so much as looked at. Afterward, I relished the success by sipping a Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier.

To anyone who's the slightest bit apprehensive ...I say, "Get pry tools and go for it. ...It's unbelievably simple!"

Props to Troggie and Bobby950!
    Nice pics, that looks great now. I'd be pissed too if mine looked like yours did on the right side. Mine is not really that noticeable.
    This track pad is a dream to use over my last Tours track ball and the main reason I sprung for the $99 to upgrade thru VZ.

Can you imagine if the people with track pad slants would have had to deal with the issue of iphones dropping calls when the side is touched in a certain place. And iphones fix was to send you a free case

I love the way users can come up with ways to fix design flaws but Rimm can't! We had the same type of issue where on the Tour the first ones sent out had loose battery doors. Users came up with a fix of a small piece of black electrical tape near the locking mechanism . . . problem solved!
    07-28-10 08:12 AM
252 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD