Ugh I wish I had the technological know-how to take mine apart and fix it. My bold is perfect, aside from the slanted trackpad. I am way too clumsy to fix mine myself. I would love it if verizon would fix it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 10:02 PM
    This a open forum and I feel this type of advise is not in the average owners
    best interest. As far as the personal atttacks go the old saying still applys
    You are right about something. This is an open forum and I would guess that most, if not all, are enthusiasts and not "the average owner." There was no advice to open your bb and try to fix a design and/or manufacturing flaw. Just our experiences in trying. Would you rather have people return their Bolds b/c of a tilted trackpad? That would cost everyone more in the long run.

It sounds like you're closed minded and won't listen to some lucid responses.
    07-13-10 09:58 AM
    Ugh I wish I had the technological know-how to take mine apart and fix it. My bold is perfect, aside from the slanted trackpad. I am way too clumsy to fix mine myself. I would love it if verizon would fix it.

I don't see this being fixed any time soon, or ever. When I got my first Tour I noticed the trackball problem immediately. I had to go to 3 different stores before they even acknowledged that there was a problem. Now it's almost a no-brainer for them to just swap it out.

Unfortunately, the kooked trackpad is mostly an aesthetic problem (though some people have had problems with it interfering with the back button). Since it does technically work like it's supposed to and the majority of 9650s have it, there's not much incentive for RIM to adjust their manufacturing process and for Verizon to actively support replacing units.
    07-13-10 10:14 AM
    ...I would guess that most, if not all, are enthusiasts and not "the average owner."
    You make a good point! The 'average owner' would probably land on this site out of troubleshooting efforts; but I seriously doubt they'd follow the blogs, much less, sign-up for a user name and start blogging. Anybody who's an active participant has to be considered an 'enthusiast'. Then, of course, there's the 'zealot', as indicated by the first line of my signature.
    07-13-10 10:34 AM
    Weird thing today i went to the sprint stores in the mall and all there trackpads were perfect on there 9650 but my verizon one has the issue and the other verizon stores in the mall also have the crooked trackpad,is this only a verizon thing ?how could sprint have it right and not verizon,its the same phone
    07-13-10 03:24 PM
    Got my blackberry today and... crooked trackpad
    I might have to order these things and fix it...
    07-13-10 05:47 PM
    Weird thing today i went to the sprint stores in the mall and all there trackpads were perfect on there 9650 but my verizon one has the issue and the other verizon stores in the mall also have the crooked trackpad,is this only a verizon thing ?how could sprint have it right and not verizon,its the same phone
    There are plenty of Sprint phones with the crooked trackpad... It's not a VZ thing.
    07-13-10 06:00 PM
    ive opened my old tour before to replace the trackball on it, and im gunna have to say that the bold is just slightly different in that the back bezel piece, the part that cover the flash and camera and says bold, has a lip on the top end that makes it just a bit harder to remove without getting in the way of the headphone jack. just as a word of warning beware with that cause if you rip out your head phone jack your screwed. but other than that extra 30 seconds of caution, it took me all of 5 minutes and now its absolutely straight.
    07-13-10 06:15 PM
    You are right about something. This is an open forum and I would guess that most, if not all, are enthusiasts and not "the average owner." There was no advice to open your bb and try to fix a design and/or manufacturing flaw. Just our experiences in trying. Would you rather have people return their Bolds b/c of a tilted trackpad? That would cost everyone more in the long run.

It sounds like you're closed minded and won't listen to some lucid responses.
    This is my last attempt because i'm losing interested in arguing this point any longer.

It would be in all our best interst to send every single defective phone back to RIM and make them responsible for all theses substandard phones. Fixing them with your time and money defeats the purpose of what a new phone is about.

I believe this behavior enable them to continue producing products like the Tour one of the most troubled phones in recent memory and our response got them to actually replace them with an upgraded model. All though short lived it a set new presedence. Now they have the gaul to produce an even more troubled substandard phone the BOLD.

When you buy a spankin brand new car and the gas pedal sticks the complaints in large numbers addresses the problem. NO I DO NOT AGREE returning defective phone will cost us more in the long run.

Last point ethically speaking. When you open the phone you void the warranty no matter what else goes wrong..Which one of you can honestly say if in a 1 or 6 month later the phone dies for some other reason, that you would not try to send it back. You would RATIONALIZE THIS WAS UNRELATED TO the REPAIR and back it goes,, but in truth you have no right to return it because you voided the warranty. just be honest with that concept.

"Please forgive me for all typos and poor grammar."
    Last edited by Betmen; 07-14-10 at 07:45 AM.
    07-14-10 07:40 AM
    I happen to agree with Betman's last post. Shoddy manufacturing or quality control should not be tolerated. Whether you paid a discount price, got the phone in place of a defective Tour or some other legitimate way, the phone is not a cheap item and a bit of care could be taken in either manufacture or assembly to avoid the issue. I remember similar arguments about the Tour and clearly, the phone was poorly designed in the first place. Moving the ball internal to the device made maintenance/cleaning nearly impossible.

And forcing purchasers to do their own repairs is unconscionable and does blow the warranty whether it was a Tour or a new Bold.

The phone is what $500 or $600 dollars - it is not a trakphone or some $40 commodity disposable phone. They can or should put some effort into making them better. It is not like an OS defect which might be harder to discover. Anyone looking at the more obviously SLANTED trackpads had to notice it and then notice many were slanted if not as badly. Then figure out how to fix - maybe the newer ones will be fixed. Unlike the poor Tour design which would have needed a redesign completely - the Bold just needs a bit more support under the pad. The trackpad issue may be cosmetic when minor but when really sunken in on one side makes it a functional problem.

Yesterday, there were a slew of reports on Apple's poor response to their antenna issue. Bad PR is hard to reverse. RIM does not need bad pr, too.
    07-14-10 09:05 AM
    If you don't want to tolerate something, great. You can write them a letter, petition, return the phone and get a different one, whatever. You aren't being forced to do the repair...

What other people decide to do is nobodys business though (repair it, ignore it, etc).

I could fix it if I wanted to, I just don't care. Bad PR is easy to overcome, even if you don't reverse it. Even if the iphone 4 dropped 30% of calls for every user it still would have had record sales, because consumers are morons.

07-14-10 10:59 AM
    just did this fix and it was not that hard, i am not really good with technology at all but if you follow the directions its easy. I put one piece of 7.0 mil electrical tape on the entire base and then put a half a piece on the right to prop it up. It worked perfectly and the trackpad is not only strait but doesnt move around at all.
    07-14-10 11:07 AM
    This is my last attempt because i'm losing interested in arguing this point any longer.

It would be in all our best interst to send every single defective phone back to RIM and make them responsible for all theses substandard phones. Fixing them with your time and money defeats the purpose of what a new phone is about.

I believe this behavior enable them to continue producing products like the Tour one of the most troubled phones in recent memory and our response got them to actually replace them with an upgraded model. All though short lived it a set new presedence. Now they have the gaul to produce an even more troubled substandard phone the BOLD.

When you buy a spankin brand new car and the gas pedal sticks the complaints in large numbers addresses the problem. NO I DO NOT AGREE returning defective phone will cost us more in the long run.

Last point ethically speaking. When you open the phone you void the warranty no matter what else goes wrong..Which one of you can honestly say if in a 1 or 6 month later the phone dies for some other reason, that you would not try to send it back. You would RATIONALIZE THIS WAS UNRELATED TO the REPAIR and back it goes,, but in truth you have no right to return it because you voided the warranty. just be honest with that concept.

"Please forgive me for all typos and poor grammar."
    I understand your point. My reasoning for doing this is because I'm just sick of replacing phone after phone and spending (wasting?) hours to get it back to where I had it. It's annoying and if I can do a simple fix, I'll opt for that. This is my 5th replacement BB and I don't think I'll ever get another one.

Yes, every device has problems but I've never seen such widespread issues as the trackball before. I would guess at least a 80% failure rate making the device useless. You can't even navigate with the keypad other than shortcuts. The trackpad issue is much less severe in that the device still works but it's pretty annoying to use.
    07-14-10 12:17 PM
    I happen to agree with Betman's last post. Shoddy manufacturing or quality control should not be tolerated. Whether you paid a discount price, got the phone in place of a defective Tour or some other legitimate way, the phone is not a cheap item and a bit of care could be taken in either manufacture or assembly to avoid the issue. I remember similar arguments about the Tour and clearly, the phone was poorly designed in the first place. Moving the ball internal to the device made maintenance/cleaning nearly impossible.

And forcing purchasers to do their own repairs is unconscionable and does blow the warranty whether it was a Tour or a new Bold.

The phone is what $500 or $600 dollars - it is not a trakphone or some $40 commodity disposable phone. They can or should put some effort into making them better. It is not like an OS defect which might be harder to discover. Anyone looking at the more obviously SLANTED trackpads had to notice it and then notice many were slanted if not as badly. Then figure out how to fix - maybe the newer ones will be fixed. Unlike the poor Tour design which would have needed a redesign completely - the Bold just needs a bit more support under the pad. The trackpad issue may be cosmetic when minor but when really sunken in on one side makes it a functional problem.

Yesterday, there were a slew of reports on Apple's poor response to their antenna issue. Bad PR is hard to reverse. RIM does not need bad pr, too.
    Thank You F2
    07-14-10 01:05 PM
    Even if the iphone 4 dropped 30% of calls for every user it still would have had record sales, because consumers are morons.
    Amen! If you haven't seen please check it out. This guy worked at Best Buy. They canned him for doing it. Now they want him back after 4 million hits...NSFW and not kid friendly.
    07-14-10 01:12 PM
    Are they all crooked ( trackpads on the 9650?). Was going to swap my Tour for the Bold, but....idk now.

jr
    07-14-10 03:15 PM
    Are they all crooked ( trackpads on the 9650?). Was going to swap my Tour for the Bold, but....idk now.

jr
    Seems like it. Some folks say theirs is fine, but I'm guessing they aren't really seeing it right, or are just saying all is well.
    07-14-10 04:16 PM
    I understand your point. My reasoning for doing this is because I'm just sick of replacing phone after phone and spending (wasting?) hours to get it back to where I had it. It's annoying and if I can do a simple fix, I'll opt for that. This is my 5th replacement BB and I don't think I'll ever get another one.
    My sentiments exactly! Opting to spend 20 minutes to disassemble, install a piece of tape and reassemble is considerably much less time than if I were to get a new device and be forced to upgrade the OS; send my new PIN to all of my contacts; reconfigure the desktop icons; acquire new app codes; apply new screen protector; and all the while, praying that my DSW is flawless. Every time I get a new device, I invest [at minimum] 3-4 hours in the transition. My logic was simply, 'deal with it' vs. 20 minutes vs. 240 minutes - and time is money.

I do however strongly agree that performing this type of adjustment/repair is not sending the proper message to RIM. You can even say that it condones shoddy workmanship - and I am the last person in the world to ignore poor craftsmanship and/or workmanship. Tweaking this device myself was definitely against my principles. Ordinarily, I would exchange it and demand that I be provided with a new device that didn't have any issues, or demand a refund and go elsewhere. I have always subscribed to the theory / adage of, "You get what you pay for." And, the more I pay for something [in relation to the products' rivals], the less tolerant I am of shortcomings. And so therefore, while this procedure can be considered, "not a good idea", it made my life easier and simpler as I am inherently lazy.
    07-14-10 06:23 PM
    The only thing that sends a message worth anything is not buying it, which consumers have shown they are not willing to do.

How do consumers show this to Apple? By buying it in record #'s greater than previous devices that had less issues...

This crusade is a lost cause...
    07-14-10 06:29 PM
    Seems like it. Some folks say theirs is fine, but I'm guessing they aren't really seeing it right, or are just saying all is well.
    My trackpad is slightly slanted on the right side. It isn't crooked at all.

07-14-10 06:37 PM
    My trackpad is slightly slanted on the right side. It isn't crooked at all.

Actually, I assumed when he said crooked, he really meant slanted.
    07-14-10 06:47 PM
    That is actually what I meant. Oh well, it fixes both types of crookedness (top and profile views). Perhaps "slanted" would have been a better descriptor, or "un-even".
    07-15-10 10:28 AM
    Did it.. it was easy... thx for the help!!
    07-17-10 07:46 PM
    My friend bought a new Curve @ Vzw store and was asking me if my trackpad was slanted like his. I said no, mine is low on the right and your Curve trackpad is lower on the left, which it was/is. LOL. His keyboard was sorta loose as well, I told him to take it back and get a Bold.

07-17-10 08:25 PM
    It's getting funny there are so many issues. I've actually noticed my keyboard is dimmer around the E, R, D and F keys. Not like its not lit, just not as bright as the rest.

07-17-10 08:33 PM
252 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD