I just don't get it though. My sister in law has a new Curve. Cute phone, but not for me, but of course, the trackpad is perfect all around. Frustrating.
    07-04-10 09:42 AM
    I just don't get it though. My sister in law has a new Curve. Cute phone, but not for me, but of course, the trackpad is perfect all around. Frustrating.
    You know, it could be my imagination, but it seems like mine is flattening out the more I use it. I think I'm just going to sit tight and see if it "settles" into the slot better over time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 01:59 PM
    The trackpad part might be the same but the assembly and housing/buttons are totally different. The Curve doesn't use real buttons, its basically a "sticker" flap. Its the way its assembled that results in the issue, not the parts.

07-04-10 03:19 PM
    The trackpad part might be the same but the assembly and housing/buttons are totally different. The Curve doesn't use real buttons, its basically a "sticker" flap. Its the way its assembled that results in the issue, not the parts.

Right. I saw that, but I'm just saying, they at least assembled the Curve in such a way that it's not an issue.

And as for it flattering out, I would say that's a definite possibility.
    07-04-10 05:18 PM
    So, for those of you that have done the repair, how is it holding up? Still level (up and down) and straight (parallel with the case)? I'm getting up the nerve...
    07-07-10 02:12 PM
    Everything has remained status quo! Follow Nike's advise / slogan!
    Last edited by RegE; 07-07-10 at 04:02 PM.
    07-07-10 02:48 PM
    I bought the pry tools and did mine about two weeks ago, mine is holding up fine. I did have to use two pieces of electrical tape to get mine level. You can snap the cover back on and see what is needed before you completely reassemble the phone.

The pry tools made it very easy to disassemble.

I'm glad I "repaired" mine, it's much nicer to use, and it doesn't make noise like it used to when scrolling down.
    07-07-10 07:10 PM
    Ok I want to fix my crooked trackpad but I'm stuck.

I can't remove the back bezel even after removing all the T6 screws. My phone has 3 (back part) even though the Tour video shows it has 4 screws.

07-07-10 09:43 PM
    The 4th screw is under the little white sticker, directly opposite the one you can see. Did you remove that? There should be 6 screws altogether.

Now I have a question...RegE, when you did the electrical tape, you let it overhang the foam a bit, so it's "raised" in that area. Any thoughts on if it wasn't done like that, and was cut away from the foam, so all the tape layed flat? Would the result be not as good?
    07-07-10 09:47 PM
    So, for those of you that have done the repair, how is it holding up? Still level (up and down) and straight (parallel with the case)? I'm getting up the nerve...
    Mine broke.

J/k

Still works great. It's finally nice to have a phone that actually works the way it was designed. The trackpad goes where I want it to w/o having to feather it or force it. It is still a hair off but it's not that bad now.

The wifi is nice since I get marginal 3g service at home.
    07-07-10 10:22 PM
    One more question... when you put the electrical tape under the trackpad, does it matter where the adhesive part goes? Top facing up or facing down??

Thanks.
    07-07-10 10:40 PM
    ...when you did the electrical tape, you let it overhang the foam a bit, so it's "raised" in that area. Any thoughts on if it wasn't done like that, and was cut away from the foam, so all the tape layed flat? Would the result be not as good?
    My thoughts were since the foam was too soft and therefore couldn't do the job it was designed, I placed the tape over the foam in hopes it would lend rigidity and support the foam. I used the cage as a template and cut a piece of tape the exact dimension as the trackpad and placed it sticky side down.
    07-07-10 10:54 PM
    Well, I just did mine. I was fairly nervous as I was doing it, but all went well. I opted for 2 pieces of electrical tape to reduce a bit of the float. I did 1 first, and the right was still down a bit, but with the second, I have a nice ridge on the right and left. If I had to say, the right may even be a smidge higher than the left, but I figure that will settle in with use as the foam compresses.

But I will say this - MUCH BETTER FUNCTIONALITY! I really feel like the use of the trackpad is improved, as you can access the whole surface now. Thanks to all for the instructions too. Between your posts and the disassembly videos online, I was able to disassemble and reassemble without leaving so much as a small mark.

I would say the hardest part was reattaching the LCD ribbon cable connector. Just a bit tricky, but it went fine.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by steveg_nh; 07-08-10 at 04:33 PM.
    07-08-10 03:37 PM
    Your warranty no longer exists.
    07-08-10 04:02 PM
    Well, I just did mine.
    Outstanding! Congratulations! All that sweating for nothing! Although, I am surprised that two pieces of tape wasn't too much. Oh, and what papped said!
    07-08-10 04:22 PM
    It doesn't seem to be too much. Nothing is compromised by it, meaning the escape button and blackberry buttons operate fine and aren't impacted bu the trackpad click. And it's not always depressed. Other than that, what could the issue be? Could be that the electrical tape I had was thinner too.
    07-08-10 04:33 PM
    Your warranty no longer exists.
    I think that this is what scares me the most, but would love to have the trackpad raised a little (especially on the right side) to operate better b/c sometimes I push the escape button when pressing the trackpad.
    07-08-10 04:46 PM
    I don't really find the warranty that useful most of the time. Usually outright defects happen quickly (or right away) when you get the device.

If you're comfortable enough to open the device odds are you can swap out repair parts yourself anyways.

That said, if you actually brick it on a flash or something like that, you are completely SOL....

My trackpad is barely even tilted so it's not worth it for me. I wouldn't bother unless I decide to swap the bezel anyways.
    07-08-10 05:03 PM
    I think that this is what scares me the most, but would love to have the trackpad raised a little (especially on the right side) to operate better b/c sometimes I push the escape button when pressing the trackpad.
    Exactly what was happening to me.
    07-08-10 05:10 PM
    I got a Bold from sprint yesterday and I had them open 3 boxes before I found a phone that was not as bad as the others. The guy was pretty rude about it because I was being sooo picky but I informed him that since this unit was still not at 100% that when they have all the phones fixed I would be bringing this one back for a new one. So whenever they get this "fixed" I'm going to take mine back and get one that was built right since I'm not destroying my warranty with tape.
    07-08-10 08:45 PM
    I got a Bold from sprint yesterday and I had them open 3 boxes before I found a phone that was not as bad as the others. The guy was pretty rude about it because I was being sooo picky but I informed him that since this unit was still not at 100% that when they have all the phones fixed I would be bringing this one back for a new one. So whenever they get this "fixed" I'm going to take mine back and get one that was built right since I'm not destroying my warranty with tape.
    If it's past the 30 days you aren't going to be guaranteed a new one.
    07-08-10 08:55 PM
    If it's past the 30 days you aren't going to be guaranteed a new one.

That is why I posted that I got it yesterday.
    Also I have the protection plan that covers anything that is cosmetically wrong or anything that hinders the performance of the device. I say that this would qualify for that.
    Last edited by quacker87; 07-08-10 at 09:59 PM.
    07-08-10 09:57 PM
    Ok... I finally fixed my crooked trackpad. BUT I broke the little plastic tabs from the top earpiece. I mange to put it back on but now it's squeaky from the top left. I saw a replacement (for a 9630) for about $10 on eBay.

Should this fix it or did I break the phone itself?

Thanks!
    07-09-10 03:28 AM
    Which tabs broke? If you can physically see the broken tab on the earpiece, I would think a new one would fix it. There are two clear tabs at the top (more like open hooks), and one on each side (locking tabs).
    07-09-10 07:32 AM
    Ok... I finally fixed my crooked trackpad. BUT I broke the little plastic tabs from the top earpiece. I mange to put it back on but now it's squeaky from the top left. I saw a replacement (for a 9630) for about $10 on eBay.

Should this fix it or did I break the phone itself?

Thanks!
    Which explains my reluctance to "fix" the trackpad at the risk of NOT fixing something else.

The Tour piece should probably work - good luck.
    07-09-10 09:01 AM
252 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD