Ok... took a quick pic. I can tell by feel that its still better than what it was before.

Wow your fixed trackpad looks like mine straight from the factory. I was wondering why everyone was complaining so much, I thought it was rather insignificant... If peoples are worse than this no wonder they notice it so much.
    It is such a minor design flaw though, glad the device works and the screen is not coming apart like other devices.
    Yeah, I gotta say mine is really no worse than this right out of the box and I am perfectly fine with it as long as it works perfectly, which it does.
    However, I was/am fascinated with the fixing process, kinda of an electronics gadgit freak thing.
    06-25-10 07:45 PM
    I just finished fixing mine. Very easy. Thanks for the idea. It was driving me nutz!
    06-25-10 10:46 PM
    You might want to check all the reports on most of the major phones that have been released recently even from other manufacturers (iphone 4, EVO, etc).

There's build issues all over the place.

Very true but you would think Rim could figure out how to install sure trackpads by now.
    Hopefully their reading this thread & will learn something
    06-25-10 11:11 PM
    Geez! I definitely don't have the guts to take it apart but I'd love to fix it and make it right. Oh well. It works great though!
    06-25-10 11:38 PM
    Just finished mine, much better. Thanks for the tips yall!
    06-26-10 12:36 AM
    I'll just put this on my list of things to do when I whiteout my Bold someday.
    06-26-10 04:50 AM
    O____O Oi, when I was 14 and had extensive practice in taking things apart and putting them back together in preparation to be an engineer, this wouldn't have been daunting at all. 8 years later and a changed major...haha, I'm not even going to try. I'll break my phone SO bad.

Neat pics and innovative fix though!
    06-26-10 02:32 PM
    Looks very good
    06-26-10 02:44 PM
    One piece of electrical tape is likely very close to two pieces of scotch tape, and more appropriate for the inside of an electronic device.
    Just measured both. Two pieces of scotch tape is 4/1000in. and one piece of electrical tape is 7/1000in. I think I'm gonna go for the electrical tape and pray it's not too thick. If I have to take this thing apart twice, I'll have a nervous breakdown.
    06-26-10 04:37 PM
    Wow. How the heck do you measure the thickness of tape accurately! Pretty cool.

So you can't tell how the whole thing looks until it's all back together? You can't place the tape, replace the trackpad, and put the keyboard/front bezel in place before snapping it all back together? Good luck! More pictures!
    06-26-10 04:41 PM

So you can't tell how the whole thing looks until it's all back together? You can't place the tape, replace the trackpad, and put the keyboard/front bezel in place before snapping it all back together? Good luck! More pictures!
    I own a precision micrometer. From what I'm gathering, if it's too thick, the escape button will abrade the trackpad when you depress it. I'm thinking that you won't really be able to tell until it's all back together and you test the function of all the buttons. It would be really great to be able to tell before it's put back together. Like I said, taking it apart twice has to be nerve-wracking.
    06-26-10 04:52 PM
    Just measured both. Two pieces of scotch tape is 4/1000in. and one piece of electrical tape is 7/1000in. I think I'm gonna go for the electrical tape and pray it's not too thick. If I have to take this thing apart twice, I'll have a nervous breakdown.
    You can of course blame me for suggesting the electrical tape in the first place if you like, but I already knew it was nearly twice as thick as normal scotch tape and should have more flexibility and longer life maybe as well, which I suggested it. Post back with your results since I am so fascinated with this whole thing and may get up some courage with more positive results being posted.
    06-26-10 05:09 PM

You don't have to put the whole phone back together to see if the tape/card is too thick. The bezel/housing around the trackpad clips back on the the board. once that's in place, you can test out the clicking and see if it's level.

When I first used 2 layers of index card, I snapped the housing back on and noticed that I couldn't click the trackpad. I removed one of the layers, replaced the housing, and it worked great. Then I put the phone back together.
    06-26-10 05:12 PM
    I own a precision micrometer. From what I'm gathering, if it's too thick, the escape button will abrade the trackpad when you depress it. I'm thinking that you won't really be able to tell until it's all back together and you test the function of all the buttons. It would be really great to be able to tell before it's put back together. Like I said, taking it apart twice has to be nerve-wracking.
    Sorry, missed you second post. I think you will be able to tell before you put it completely back together, but with the results being posted it seems unlikely that it will be too thick depending upon how crooked your trackpad was in the first place. Good Luck!
    06-26-10 05:17 PM
    How'd it come out?
    06-28-10 09:55 AM
    has anyone gone to the verizon store to complain about this? i'm sure they'd replace your device, no?
    06-28-10 11:55 AM
    has anyone gone to the verizon store to complain about this? i'm sure they'd replace your device, no?
    I haven't and after 4 defective Tours and now this Bold, I'm done with swapping out phones. It works. The slight tilt is still noticeable to me but I can live with it since it actually works. I finally have a phone that functions the way it should and it's a strange feeling.
    06-29-10 08:37 AM
    I just had Verizon swap one for me. New one just arrived. Same issue. I'm not going to swap again, but I may attempt fixing it myself!
    06-29-10 10:37 AM
    man i wish i had the cojones to open mine up but i'm a little chicken lol!
    Im with you girl.....how about we just get one of them to do it for us
    06-29-10 03:38 PM
    I went to my local vzw store before I saw this thread. As I was explaining how I just got the bold in the mail a few days ago and noticed the trackpad was crooked, the rep interrupted me and said if it works he cant do anything about it. Even after pressing the issue and saying how I was afraid it might not work eventually (some ppl have complained about the trackpad squeaking). Kinda pissed for waiting 30 min just for a 20 second talk.

Prolly gonna try this scotchtape fix now. Thanks Troggie and Bobby950.
    06-29-10 03:45 PM
    Nice job! Wanna do mine too? haha
    06-29-10 04:36 PM
    Using scotch tape on this project isn't the best choice....more like the worst.
    Heat produced from C-board & lcd will dry it up pretty fast.
    When that occurs it becomes brittle & breaks into tiny peaces that can get on C-board , under keyboard etc everywhere you don't want it.
    I recommend using electrical tape it can stand up to heat device will produce holding sure.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 06-29-10 at 05:08 PM.
    06-29-10 04:58 PM
    Nice work Troggie, I just completed the fix, I didn't however use an index card, I used a business card square. Thank's for simplifying the how-to.
    06-29-10 06:08 PM
    I went to my local vzw store before I saw this thread. As I was explaining how I just got the bold in the mail a few days ago and noticed the trackpad was crooked, the rep interrupted me and said if it works he cant do anything about it. Even after pressing the issue and saying how I was afraid it might not work eventually (some ppl have complained about the trackpad squeaking). Kinda pissed for waiting 30 min just for a 20 second talk.
    Skip the brick-and-mortar store. Call CS. There should be no questions asked in the first 30 days unless you've damaged/mistreated the phone.
    Last edited by tbcpn; 06-29-10 at 07:02 PM.
    06-29-10 07:00 PM
    Skip the brick-and-mortar store. Call CS. There should be no questions asked in the first 30 days unless you've damaged/mistreated the phone.
    Yea Ive definitely learned my lesson. Prolly just gonna try this fix tho becuz its seems like the likelihood of getting a non-slanted pad straight from vzw is very low.
    06-29-10 07:14 PM
252 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD