So tomorrow is the much anticipated arrival of my Bold 9700, I'm switching to Blackberry from an iPhone 3G and an extremely exciting. With that being said, the Blackberry appears to be a much more complicated device and much more customizable and malleable than the iPhone and it's Apple-locked-easiness. I searched up and found a thread from 2008 so I feel this is an honest question to ask. Upon unboxing what are the first things I should do? I've decided on the Otterbox Defender case as I have butterfingers. But in regards to freeing up device memory, adjusting settings and everything I have no idea. So any help that you could relay to me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the auto-title-similar-thread-search thing is awesome.

Thanks in advance.
    05-25-10 03:50 AM
    If you plan on using your boldberry (I love that name ^_^) for recording videos (excellent DVD quality videos that is ), you'll need a memory card larger than 2GB as they really take up allot of space. Suggesting 8GB, 16GB or wait for the 32GB cards to drop in price at most stores. Don't get them off ebay as there's lots of fakes/knock-offs.

Music also takes up allot of space. Pictures, not so much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 04:02 AM
    I looked up cards and I'm going to wait for the 32gb to drop in price. I'm almost wondering about encryption of not only the "Boldberry" itself but also the SD card. What I've read is very confusing. Your device breaks, and you can't use that SD card in another device unless rather than device encryption you use password encryption but if the device gets wiped so does the SD cards password thus leaving it's contents able to be easily read.

05-25-10 04:22 AM
    You don't need to enable encryption, I don't find it mandatory as it's slower to write and read data to the card or device.

I wouldn't use encryption unless you're a person of very high value or the data on the device or card is super/top secret.

05-25-10 04:27 AM
    The information on the device is/will be personally sensitive and it's information I don't want people getting their hands on. As far as taking a little longer to write data that's completely fine as long as the information is secure. Also when I first get the phone what should I be doing to free up memory?

05-25-10 04:36 AM
    Freeing up memory, try keeping everything data-wise stored on the memory card. This way, only apps can be on the device (apps aren't really important anyways), use the freeware text editor that enables you to save information in text documents to the memory card within the blackberry, which will be encrypted.

05-25-10 04:40 AM
    Out of the box what can I get rid of off the device? I always delete uneeded stuff off Windows upon reformat and I plan to keep the Boldberry nice and clean.

05-25-10 04:54 AM
    If you don't plan on using it for gaming to pass the time, that'll save space. If you don't need the read-only office document viewers that come with it, remove those. They take up allot of space. You could also remove the extra unneeded languages if you only intend to use English with everything. You'll reclaim 20MB. You'll have to remove languages and input languages via the desktop manager. Makes it easier.

05-25-10 04:57 AM
    The only thing I'll need is a PDF reader which I hope comes standard as it didn't on the iPhone and it was a hassle to find and download an app to do something that it should have been able to do from the get-go; but Apple really screwed themselves with Adobe so I can't really expect much, I just hope Adobe-RIM relations are better than Apple-Adobe. In regards to encryption and PDF's if I download a PDF from my email to my SD card is it going to automatically encrypt it. And no I won't be gaming at all, gaming novelty was lost in about 5 minutes with the iPhone.

05-25-10 05:05 AM
    Delete all the games will free up lots of memory and it will do PDFs right out of the box.

Go slowe on changes and leave the OS alone till they have something that is really an improvement.
    05-25-10 06:47 AM
    A clarification: It will display PDF attachments to messages out of the box. It will not display PDF files on your storage card without upgrading to Documents to Go Premium or purchasing a 3rd party application. A workaround is to email yourself the PDF file you want to see.

Delete all the games will free up lots of memory and it will do PDFs right out of the box.

Go slowe on changes and leave the OS alone till they have something that is really an improvement.
    05-25-10 11:42 AM
    A clarification: It will display PDF attachments to messages out of the box. It will not display PDF files on your storage card without upgrading to Documents to Go Premium or purchasing a 3rd party application. A workaround is to email yourself the PDF file you want to see.
    I already recieved the PDF's via email so I guess I can just keep them stored in a seperate inbox until I figure it out. Are things downloaded to an encrypted device such as a PDF automatically encrypted or are they accessible?

05-25-10 12:05 PM
    when you do get the phone make sure you back up your contact list.
    05-25-10 12:54 PM
    Does the phone automatically backup content when connected to my PC or do I need to do it manually through the Desktop Manager that I've briefly read about?

05-25-10 01:15 PM
    You don't need to enable encryption, I don't find it mandatory as it's slower to write and read data to the card or device.

I wouldn't use encryption unless you're a person of very high value or the data on the device or card is super/top secret.

This is one of the reasons i LOVE blackberry. The security that is on the device is unmatched my any other smartphone out there. (On BES and security is required by company). I dont do much customizing to my bb so i cant really give you any other info.. sorry.

EDIT: Documents to go premium is a must if you are wanting to keep PDF, EXCEL, or any other type of attachments on your phone and have easy access to them.
    05-25-10 01:46 PM
    49.99 for Doc2Go premium, these apps are so much more expensive than iPhone apps. I bought the Otterbox defender case which makes my phone look very military-esque. Now it's time to start tinkering.
    05-25-10 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD