This looks bomb ima upgrade to this i got a curve 8300 right now i like it alot
    05-26-09 09:43 PM
    Is Tmobile going to eventually get this one? I heard they were never going to get the bold but hopefully they'll get this one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 10:51 AM
    They will but with another codename "Driftwood". Practically similar device with different 3G band for TMO 3G network.
    05-27-09 11:18 AM
    It's basically exactly like the 9630's keyboard, minus the bottom row. And doesn't have the the fat bezel the 9630 does. This device will have many retiring their 9000.
    Great! I have my Bold for 12 days and it is ready for retirement. LOL I am still really happy with it as my first BB. I do have a couple of weeks to cancel out, but it sounds like the Onyx will be several months until it is released.
    05-27-09 01:21 PM
    Great! I have my Bold for 12 days and it is ready for retirement. LOL I am still really happy with it as my first BB. I do have a couple of weeks to cancel out, but it sounds like the Onyx will be several months until it is released.
    Oh don't get me wrong, the 9000 is a great device!! Matter of fact, it's the absolute best BlackBerry on the market. I love my 9000 and wouldn't trade it for any other device in the current lineup. It's the new lineup though that is making me retire it. But that's just the way it goes, there's always something newer or better coming. And IMHO, the Onyx is awesome. I think it has the perfect form factor along with other things. But the Bold will be a great device for years to come. Get familiar with BlackBerry and all the ins and outs, and then decide what's the best next step for you.
    05-27-09 01:53 PM
    Will the onyx support the upgraded 3G network with 7.2 mbps download speeds and is it correct bold will not support 7.2 mbps

05-27-09 02:23 PM
    Oh don't get me wrong, the 9000 is a great device!! Matter of fact, it's the absolute best BlackBerry on the market. I love my 9000 and wouldn't trade it for any other device in the current lineup. It's the new lineup though that is making me retire it. But that's just the way it goes, there's always something newer or better coming. And IMHO, the Onyx is awesome. I think it has the perfect form factor along with other things. But the Bold will be a great device for years to come. Get familiar with BlackBerry and all the ins and outs, and then decide what's the best next step for you.
    In my 12 days as a BB user, the Bold is awesome compared with the Treo 700WX I used for the past 3 years, so I plan on keeping it. When the Onyx comes out, I will look at it. I know technology changes fast. I remember buying computers for my office and newer, faster ones were out every couple of months. Not on topic, but I probably need to upgrade my Bold OS to the latest you have posted, which I believe is 266.
    05-27-09 02:30 PM
    Just for the record guys, that keyboard is the same keyboard that you can get to replace the one on your bold... can be seen on Cellular Accessories - Dopod/O2, Acer, 3G, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Accessories Store, BenQ-Sie
    05-27-09 05:28 PM
    Of course Kevin did it again. Check it out here--> BlackBerry Onyx Review - First Impressions | CrackBerry.com

And post your thoughts below.
    Hey Crucial,

You've said that you're going to retire your BB BOLD and use the BB ONYX as your main BlackBerry. Just wondering how the BB Onyx and the BB 9630 Tour/Niagara compare.

Would you recommend waiting until the Onyx comes out, or go ahead and get the BB Tour when it drops in July/August? Thanks.

- CB
    05-28-09 02:15 AM
    Don't know if it matters to you, but you're looking at two BBs on entirely different carriers. The 9630 being for CDMA (Verizon/Telus/Bell) and the Onyx for GSM (ATT/Rogers). From the sounds of it the Onyx will be faster/lighter/etc but will drop a few months after the Tour. How long can you wait?

05-28-09 09:34 AM
    Don't know if it matters to you, but you're looking at two BBs on entirely different carriers. The 9630 being for CDMA (Verizon/Telus/Bell) and the Onyx for GSM (ATT/Rogers). From the sounds of it the Onyx will be faster/lighter/etc but will drop a few months after the Tour. How long can you wait?

Yeah, I knew that. Since Rogers is my cable TV provider, I'm considering getting the ONYX when it's eventually released by Rogers. In the meantime, I'll probably get the 9630 TOUR from Bell Mobility.

- CB

KEEP ON CRACKIN'
    05-29-09 01:15 AM
    Are we SURE this is really coming to T-mo in the form of the driftwood? Because I remember waiting and hoping the bold would come to T-mo and it didn't.

05-29-09 08:01 AM
    Are we SURE this is really coming to T-mo in the form of the driftwood? Because I remember waiting and hoping the bold would come to T-mo and it didn't.

That is because T-Mobile turned down the 9000. They will get a 3G BlackBerry soon.
    05-29-09 08:06 AM
    OOOOOOOOO i likes!!!! Nice house btw :-D
    05-29-09 08:31 AM
    Well I hope the 3G bb that tmo gets is this onyx/driftwood. And I also hope its and improvement from the 8900's antenna or radio or whatever controls signal strength. Cuz I've had 4 blackberries on tmo and this one has the weakest signal I feel

05-29-09 10:34 AM
    I can't wait for this.
    05-29-09 09:54 PM
    This one looks really nice. Great review too...
    05-29-09 10:04 PM
    Keep in mind, it's fairly early, and things are subject to change. Regardless, this device has me retiring my 9000. The beveled edges are so slick in person!! It is super duper sexy!!
    Hey CX, I'm just curious as to why you would choose the Onyx over the Magnum or Pluto?
    05-30-09 11:29 AM
    Hey Crucial,

You've said that you're going to retire your BB BOLD and use the BB ONYX as your main BlackBerry. Just wondering how the BB Onyx and the BB 9630 Tour/Niagara compare.

Would you recommend waiting until the Onyx comes out, or go ahead and get the BB Tour when it drops in July/August? Thanks.

- CB
    CX I am also very interested in your response to this question.
    I am moving back to the US and I have a choice as to what carrier I choose.
    I am just curious if I should get the Tour or should I wait for the Onyx for a much longer time.
    This would be a world of help, thank you.
    05-30-09 08:51 PM
    Hey Crucial,

- CB
    I prefer the Onyx over the 9630. For many different reasons. Size, looks, speed, wifi, voice and data, just to name a few.
    As far as which one you should get? I would check coverage maps in your area and talk to people in your area about both carriers and see who's service is best in your area. As all areas are different.

Let me say this to you and everyone else, as a good buddy(insider) and I were just talking about(new devices), the next 12 months is going to be absolutely unbelievable for RIM!! There is so much in the pipeline it's going to knock people's socks off!
    05-30-09 09:02 PM
    Thank you for the reply.
    I think I can wait it out an extra few months because this phone looks and sounds incredible.
    In my area (Atlanta suburbs) both services are strong, so it's really just what phone I want.
    05-30-09 09:09 PM
    Thank you for the reply.
    I think I can wait it out an extra few months because this phone looks and sounds incredible.
    In my area (Atlanta suburbs) both services are strong, so it's really just what phone I want.
    Oh, you're in ATL, so yes AT&T has good service there. I would suggest getting the Onyx. It has better specs than the Tour, and IMHO looks better. Again, with the Onyx, you can use voice and data, which is a MAJOR plus in my book. Not to mention AT&T is in the process of upgrading it's network to HSPA + which is 7.2Mbps. Very nice.
    Don't get me wrong, the Tour is a nice device. Very good, but the pros of the Onyx outweigh those of the 9630 and that is why I suggest getting it.
    05-30-09 09:12 PM
    When I read about the Tour not having voice and data it was a major turn off.
    What's going to make me keep waiting is that you guys will keep getting pre-release phones and I'll never be able to decide on which one has the best specs until a year from now.
    05-30-09 09:20 PM
    When I read about the Tour not having voice and data it was a major turn off.
    What's going to make me keep waiting is that you guys will keep getting pre-release phones and I'll never be able to decide on which one has the best specs until a year from now.
    When you buy a device, theres always gonna be a better device already in the making. So either you get a job at RIM and get these phones pre release or you will never have the latest and greatest. But you can always have the best one out at the time.
    05-30-09 09:23 PM
    Man would I love to have a job at RIM these days.
    05-30-09 09:24 PM
142 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD