Howdy Folks,

So for a few months now I have been poking around on the forums and thinking about switching to Blackberry from android. I had the original godfather of all androids, the HTC G1 but it was slow and laggy. I just wanted a solid phone for email, calling and texting. I didnt need all the flash and smash of an android and my g1 was dying. I heard about the 9900 and it sounds absolutely SICK. But alas I couldn't wait, I want to dive into the BB world and start exploring before waiting for the 9900..

So I bought a used 9700 and it came tonight. Very exciting and its already quicker than my G1 I can tell. So I had a few questions for you all and if you have any advice to toss to a newbie let me know! I like modding/customizing phones (I rooted my G1 and flashed many times). I already installed Gmail and gmail sync as I loove how android synced up everything and I could get to it all online. Is that best way to do this?

Also how can I keep to just use wifi as internet? I like to keep my mobile internet usage low b/c its costly. I actually didnt even pay/use data with my G1.

Is there a good place to find themes that are free?

Dang, I had another good question but forgot it.. Do not fear, I will be back
    07-14-11 09:06 PM
    Welcome to the wonderful world of BlackBerry. That 9700 is a fine device. Enjoy.

Check the themes forums for some fine free themes. Be sure to get the right OS and device themes.

Look to installing .600 OS if not already done. The household 9700 runs fine on that OS. Highly recommended.
    07-15-11 07:40 AM
    I would actually recommend 6.0.0.576. Many people (including myself) found .600 to be really bad on battery drain and memory leaks. I also found it to be quite unstable, forcing many more battery pulls than .576 (which I'm back on now).

BlackBerries are very light on data usage compared to every other platform out there, due to the data compression used to send info to and from the device. Get the cheapest data plan you can, for maybe $15/month, depending on your carrier, and monitor your usage per month. Getting your BB running wifi-only will take some tweaking, and there are lots of threads around CB on that subject. It varies slightly by carrier.

Do your research, keep asking questions, and enjoy your new BlackBerry!
    DawgMan likes this.
    07-15-11 09:06 AM
    Thats for the feedback guys. This phone is awesome. Way better than android (although my G1 had superior keyboard and probably the best keyboard ever). I am quite happy..

I looked up phone info and it says "6.0 Bundle 2342 (v6.0.0.526, Platform 6.6.0.195). So it sounds like my software is a wee bit older. Should i install an update over the air? Is there anyone else who has a recommendation on which OS6 to go with? So will I lose all my data if I upgrade?

also do you guys have tips of the trade to someone new to the BB world. Like anyone you know now that you wished someone would have told you?

I am definitely sportin an ottebox defender. Its great.
    07-15-11 07:21 PM
    Thats for the feedback guys. This phone is awesome. Way better than android (although my G1 had superior keyboard and probably the best keyboard ever). I am quite happy..

I looked up phone info and it says "6.0 Bundle 2342 (v6.0.0.526, Platform 6.6.0.195). So it sounds like my software is a wee bit older. Should i install an update over the air? Is there anyone else who has a recommendation on which OS6 to go with? So will I lose all my data if I upgrade?

also do you guys have tips of the trade to someone new to the BB world. Like anyone you know now that you wished someone would have told you?

I am definitely sportin an ottebox defender. Its great.
    An OTA update will update you to the newest version of software that your carrier has officialized, but not necessarily the newest version available. Often another carrier will have newer software, or there might be a leaked version off a filehosting website. While newer doesn't always mean better, the last two leaks (.576 and .600) have been fantastic. Take a look here for how to upgrade your OS on your computer:

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader

Do not be afraid about updating to a leaked OS just because your carrier hasn't made it official. There is no difference whatsoever between an official OS and a leaked OS. All that an official OS is, is the leaked version that the carrier deemed good enough to stand behind.

Also, I see in your first post that you like modding/customizing. While BBs do not come close to the customization capabilities that I've seen on some Android systems, some people do like to make hybrid OSes. These builders take files from different OS versions, or different devices, and compile them to make a complete OS that provides better performance and has better battery life. I personally use hybrids exclusively. Right now I'm using Berrylicious v3, and it's fantastic. If you feel like giving it a shot, click the link, follow the directions, and you should be good to go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...9800-a-627881/

One last note, look into shrinking your OS. OS6 was designed for the 512MB devices, and the 9700 sports 256MB. While it's still capable of running OS6, it runs so much better if you shrink it first. Do a forum search for "BBHybrids Tool" or "BB Boss." I personally prefer the former. Shrinking frees up a lot of space, if you take out things like wallpapers, ringtones, unused games and features, languages, apps, etc. If you're concerned about ringtones, also do a forum search for them. Saving ringtones and wallpapers to your media card saves up a lot of space on your BB.
    Last edited by lcambriz; 07-15-11 at 09:30 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    07-15-11 09:25 PM
    For browsing the web check out Opera Mini 6.1. Faster than the native browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 10:07 PM
    Thanks guys and lcampbriz. Very helpful! I will take a look into the hybrid OS's and shrinking some space on my 9700.. I do like customization, but that does not have to be just on an aggregate level- for instance the BBs do a lot of customization in the OS. IE the profiles, like there are soo many options, I dont even know where to start!!

also is there a best FREE way to change the LED to say like blue forSMS and green for missed call ?? I did this on my G1. I found a few free apps that seem to just change it for contacts only..
    07-15-11 10:40 PM
    question about upgrading..

when I update my BB do I lose all my data/settings/apps?

And as far as shrinking, I downloaded RIM's desktop mgr, will that work? I think those other 2 shrinking apps aren't for Mac (my computer) ??

Thanks. I loove this thing so much.
    07-28-11 07:36 PM
    I just loaded the Bell released OS 6.0.0.615 after having issues with Telus released 6.0.0.461. I think so far this is a good OS... you should try 615.

Thanks.
    07-28-11 08:32 PM
    question about upgrading..

when I update my BB do I lose all my data/settings/apps?

And as far as shrinking, I downloaded RIM's desktop mgr, will that work? I think those other 2 shrinking apps aren't for Mac (my computer) ??

Thanks. I loove this thing so much.
    Ahh, for the mac user, you'll need Bootcamp and a windows disc (XP ot 2000 SP4 or SP5 and all updates) and .net framework 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 and you should be good to go on that side. This way, if something goes horribly wrong, you won't need a spare PC.

07-28-11 09:41 PM
    Yes. So after a few hours of working on this I am going to hit the sack. Basically I booted up via boot camp into Windows XP and found out it is SP2. Then after spending probably another hour I discovered I do need SP3. I did all the updates via the built in updater then downloaded the SP3 installer. And for some reason when I try to install SP3 the installer tells me I need more free space. I have about 4.5 GB free (which should be ample?) and cant really free up more space without repartioning my HD. And my macbook is about 4 years old and is rocking a 160 gigs. I cant wait to get a new computer..

So I give up. Im not sure how to do this because XP wont install SP3 via download. And for those mac users out there, if you ever forget why you are using Mac OS, boot up windows and use it for a good like 3 minutes. Try to do a simple task, and everything will suddenly become clear. Wow.

Any ideas? Im stumped because apparently I need to install DM before running BB boss. I tried to install a simple driver from BB too but I need Sp3 for that too.. Yay.
    Last edited by austriker; 07-28-11 at 10:29 PM.
    07-28-11 10:25 PM
    Yes. So after a few hours of working on this I am going to hit the sack. Basically I booted up via boot camp into my Windows XP and found out it is SP2. Then after spending probably another hour I discovered I do need SP3 and for some reason when I try to install SP3 the installer tells me I need more free space. I have about 4.5 GB free (which should be ample?) and cant really free up more space without repartioning my HD. And my macbook is about 4 years old and is rocking a 160 gigs. I cant wait to get a new computer..

So I give up. Im not sure how to do this because XP wont install SP3 via download. And for those mac users out there, if you ever forget why you are using Mac OS, boot up windows and use it for a good like 3 minutes. Try to do a simple task, and everything will suddenly become clear. Wow.

Any ideas? Im stumped because apparently I need to install DM before running BB boss. I tried to install a simple driver from BB too but I need Sp3 for that too.. Yay.
    You'll need to upgrade the hard disk. If the mac works wonderfully, that will give it more space

07-28-11 10:28 PM
    Yea. This laptop has been a beast, but is about 5 years old. (super outdated!) basically I need to upgrade the ram too (Its only 1GB) but Ive been holding out because I get a discount through work in like 3 months and I would love a new 24" iMac for photo editing..

It's weird I just did all the updates through windows built in updater and it still gives me the more disk space message even though I deleted some stuff. The message also said I need "4 additional megabits' which I am assuming should be 4 GB ? Because I definitely deleted 4mb before trying the installer..

so is there any way I can shrink the 9700 w/o upgrading my laptop's HD?

Would I be able to upgrade to a hybrid, or does that require DM in windows (and thus SP3) ?

.. Haha all I wanted was the BBM, I just have about 10 MB free and was looking to shrink the beast up a little..Either way I can probably last this out until the 9900 comes out which I am definitely going to use my 2 year upgrade for..
    Last edited by austriker; 07-28-11 at 10:48 PM.
    07-28-11 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD