Does anybody know why it is so difficult for carriers to keep up to date with the latest firmware? Why do different carriers get different versions? I've been hassling my carrier to get the latest software and they continuously say there is none available. I know there is because the forum says 4.6.0.147 is released officially on Orange. My carrier says 4.6.0.92 is the latest.

Is there a technical issue or are carriers just lazy and find lame excuses?
    09-24-08 08:07 AM
    An OS only becomes official on a carrier once THEY have tested it. Different carriers different testing methods and times = different OS on each carrier.

.999 could be tested and apprioved on a carrier whilst another (lets say optus for example) could only have tested .92 so will stick to that.

1 carrier is not going to take anothers word for it that the OS is OK, as with handset releases and all other things mobile some carriers are quicker than others. Optus could be testing .154 right now but how long the testing takes is anybody's guess, and the person your phoning up is just reading from a screen, LOL! probably the same screen you read off when checking for updates. You can always update to the official version of .147 at the top of this forum, just follow the sticky to the letter and you can't go wrong takes about 30 mins max just make sure you delete the vendor.xml file this is the most important part which changes it from .147 for orange bolds to .147 for any bolds.

Hope this helps.
    09-24-08 09:52 AM
    An OS only becomes official on a carrier once THEY have tested it. Different carriers different testing methods and times = different OS on each carrier.

.999 could be tested and apprioved on a carrier whilst another (lets say optus for example) could only have tested .92 so will stick to that.

1 carrier is not going to take anothers word for it that the OS is OK, as with handset releases and all other things mobile some carriers are quicker than others. Optus could be testing .154 right now but how long the testing takes is anybody's guess, and the person your phoning up is just reading from a screen, LOL! probably the same screen you read off when checking for updates. You can always update to the official version of .147 at the top of this forum, just follow the sticky to the letter and you can't go wrong takes about 30 mins max just make sure you delete the vendor.xml file this is the most important part which changes it from .147 for orange bolds to .147 for any bolds.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers for the insight. If it's anything I liked about Nokia phones is that they update their phones straight from Nokia download. Guess that's not the case with BB. But I guess the same can be achieved by deleting vendor.xml. Just an extra hassle for me.

Have you found .154 yet? Don't think you'll get a good night's rest until you do..LoL.
    09-25-08 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD