I went into its engineering screen to turn off 3G... I can attest that 2Gs sound quality is leaps and bounds better than 3G... Plus - I havent had a dropped call yet.

3G's calls has alot of hiss and digital artifacts while 2G is warmer and clearer... 3G usually drops a call at least 3 times within 10 min conversation when using it during rush hour in NYC.

Thank you to the authors of this post:
    forums.crackberry.com/f83/how-disable-3g-2g-t-bolds-without-debranding-207789/
    06-17-09 02:36 PM
    nice. save battery too i imagine?
    06-17-09 02:40 PM
    Congrats !! Wouldnt you worry about 3G data speed ?
    06-17-09 02:40 PM
    You can chage it at the connections tab , cant you?

I have it on 2g to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 02:53 PM
    Honestly - I dont see much of a difference in download speeds with 3G vs EDGE in my area... EDGE is still pretty quick... I dont go on the Bold browser too often but when I tested it out - it was probably 2-3 seconds load time difference... I'll take that over poor 3G service and sound quality...

Once iPhone 3GS releases, service will only get worse... by then I may switch to t-mobile and use my Bold on their network...
    06-17-09 02:55 PM

I have it on 2g to.

Not in America... the geniuses over at our AT&T mobile network blocks us from being able to choose to turn it off... so dumb
    06-17-09 02:57 PM
    3G is def faster where i am in NYC, but i can live with EDGE speeds for the sake of wayyy better call quality and battery life. its almost like having two batteries in the phone now...
    06-17-09 02:57 PM
    Once iPhone 3GS releases, service will only get worse... by then I may switch to t-mobile and use my Bold on their network...
    good point, ATT claims to have their 4G network up by 2010 though, so maybe that will help

But hey, atleast they cant MMS or tether yet so it wont be that bad, lol
    06-17-09 02:58 PM
    I used the engineering screen to do just the opposite. I'm getting 1.4M downloads now (speedtest)
    06-17-09 03:00 PM
    Also enable AMR-FR just in case if you haven't done so, for even better voice quality
    06-17-09 03:02 PM
    In the uk and turned off mt 3g weeks ago,saves loads of battery life

06-17-09 03:03 PM
    Not in America... the geniuses over at our AT&T mobile network blocks us from being able to choose to turn it off... so dumb
    you will need to access the engineering screen, i think i posted about it on CB, if not check BerryReview.com for the steps and info.
    06-17-09 03:08 PM
    good point, ATT claims to have their 4G network up by 2010 though, so maybe that will help

Heck it may be 2010 before ATT gets the 3G service to my area

Julian
    06-17-09 03:15 PM

I have it on 2g to.

Also enable AMR-FR just in case if you haven't done so, for even better voice quality
    In which screen is that located? Its not in the PLMN Selection screen
    06-17-09 03:16 PM
    mobile network engineering screen--->, then voice channel--->, then voice stats--->, then where it says codec click the trackball--->, then go to full menu---> change options, select AMR FR then click the track ball again to set codec
    06-17-09 03:21 PM
    Does that just make it clearer or louder as well?
    06-17-09 03:27 PM
    I don't believe 3G is the cause of the dropped calls or bad call quality, because that does not make any sense at all!! What I believe is happening is when in 3G and the signal is not strong, the device will switch back and forth between, with the goal of attaing the 3G signal at all cost, thus the result in drop calls or poor quality.
    06-17-09 04:23 PM
    Eh, all of my calls are in 3G and the quality is great.

Hasn't the dropped call issue already been pinpointed?

Edge to 3g transition doesn't support soft handoff, whereas the other way around does.
    06-17-09 04:34 PM
    Damn iphone

06-17-09 06:34 PM
    Feel bad for all of you not in a good 3G area. I would not want to be without it - I love the data + phone combo and use it all the time. My battery easily makes it through the day. Not sure I would have a Bold at all on 2G.

Hope things get better, 3G-wise, for those bad reception areas.
    06-17-09 06:59 PM
    att has a lot of improving to do for their network.
    06-17-09 07:01 PM
    I'm skipping this whole "3G Evolution" and waiting until 4G comes out. AT&T just spent millions on a network lots of people are hating and avoiding using. 3G could be great and is great "from my limited use" where I live because I live out in the country and not to many people are on it. But, in populated cities, there are to many people for the network infrastructure.
    06-17-09 07:16 PM
    3G works great for me. I also use the data and voice at the same time and love it. My battery lasts a whole day talking, moderate browsing, and a ton of emails.

06-17-09 07:29 PM
    But, in populated cities, there are to many people for the network infrastructure.
    Not exactly that cut and dry. I use 3g exclusively and live in the SF area with basically no issues.
    06-17-09 07:31 PM

With their 3G network as spotty as it is you really expect 4G to be implemented and running by the end of 2010? I would say only if an independent company installs the tower systems.
    06-17-09 07:33 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD