After a long time wanting a BlackBerry 9000, I found a brand new one on Ebay.

It arrived after two days and after unboxing my first impressions were wow. Then realised how light it was compared to my 9900 (sounds hollow too). The keyboard is great & nearly as good as the 9900's imo & getting used to the trackball for the first time was interesting. All round I like it & will use it as a second BB...

The back cover isn't as nicely made as lots have said. It seems cheaply made :s
    Last edited by Ben1232; 11-30-12 at 08:40 AM.
    11-30-12 08:17 AM
    The right end of the volume popup is at the left :s
    Has anyone seen this before ?
    11-30-12 10:46 AM
    You're gonna get spoiled to that double convenience key! External microSD slot. Dual speakers - great volume/sound!

Every time I see a post about it, I pull open the drawer and pull it out to look at it and remember how awesome it was! I wish I had a good battery, only one I have wont charge anymore.

Man I loved that phone!
    imz likes this.
    11-30-12 11:16 AM
    The left convenience key annoys me haha. I keep accidently pressing it & launching voice commands. Dual speakers ? I didn't know that.
    I will have to buy a new battery as this one isn't lasting all that long.

Eventually I'll reload the OS to see if it'll sort the volume popup issue. I'll have a read on which OS people were most happy with back in the day.
    11-30-12 11:41 AM
    You'll get used to the left key - re-set it to whatever is best for you.

Look at the two "slots" / "cut-outs" at the top of the back cover (one on each side) - take the cover off and you will see the speaker screens - maybe there is only one speaker but I always THOUGHT there were two - of course there is also the speaker opening/screen on top of the phone.

Old thread here on speaker.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    11-30-12 12:00 PM
    Aha nice. I've read that some say the 9000 were the last of the properly built BlackBerry's. I'd say my 9900 is built better. Like I said, the battery door feels like a chinese knock off & and I can see the lit keyboard holding pieces through the keyboard.

Maybe I've got one of a bad batch...both were made in Hungary.
    11-30-12 12:21 PM
    My favorites phone of all time I got it in 08 it was the best thing back then and not lot of people had smartphones.
    DocDRM and Ben1232 like this.
    11-30-12 12:25 PM
    My favorites phone of all time I got it in 08 it was the best thing back then and not lot of people had smartphones.
    You and me both! Give it a trackpad and OS7.1 (and MAYBE the 9900 keyboard - maybe) and I'd buy one today full pop. I LOVE the battery cover and back design. Wondering about Ben's feelings on that - one of my favorite things about the phone was the textured/soft/ leather (?) back.
    11-30-12 12:39 PM
    I like the leather back and the texture is nice for a good grip.
    11-30-12 12:51 PM
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...1130-00371.jpg
    This happened in one of the OS versions, can't remember which one though. haha. I used to have a Bold 9000, it was my first BB. Just hours ago, I bought another one too. Now loading it up with songs so i can enjoy that awesome speaker again. hahahaha.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    11-30-12 05:41 PM
    This happened in one of the OS versions, can't remember which one though. haha. I used to have a Bold 9000, it was my first BB. Just hours ago, I bought another one too. Now loading it up with songs so i can enjoy that awesome speaker again. hahahaha.
    Strange. The phone came with 5.0.0.1036 I will try another OS. I don't know if this is an all round bad Os but I can't load web pages either, the bar stops half way. Yours will bring back old times eh
    I've made sure to put some songs on my already too
    11-30-12 06:08 PM
    I updated to the latest OS 5.0 from Redington, sound bar still truncated. Lol. But doesn't bother me much. I know there's a slightly older version without that issue. After installing all the apps I used, I'm left with 15mb? Hahahahaha. Sure bring back memories. After installing all my apps, I had to uninstall appworld to save some space.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    12-01-12 04:08 AM
    I updated to the latest OS 5.0 from Redington, sound bar still truncated. Lol. But doesn't bother me much. I know there's a slightly older version without that issue. After installing all the apps I used, I'm left with 15mb? Hahahahaha. Sure bring back memories. After installing all my apps, I had to uninstall appworld to save some space.

Wow the memory is low on these. I have BB app world / protect / briddge, Twitter & a Youtube app & have 20Mb left. I'll also get Advance OS & LED for this BB too. On my 9900 I bought E-mobile today professional which is too small for the 9900 on screen but still costs �20. I may use the same BBID and use it on the 9000 which it was made for.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-01-12 04:58 AM
    I have shrunk out pretty much most things. Now I have 18mb on a fresh boot. Haha. I have twitter, facebook, whatsapp (5 freaking mb for this), tapatalk of course, BlackBerry News, gMaps, 1 banking app, endomondo, and shazam. I had to delete appworld afterwards though to save these precious MBs.
    Previously I couldn't even get all the apps to install without shrinking the OS.

But, the speakers on the phone is better than I remembered.

12-01-12 04:25 PM
    and after reading this, all of a sudden i ordered one online & is now expecting it to arrive in the mail tomorrow or the next day -- just can't wait! i'll also be using it as my 2nd phone. Ben, you're guilty for having me to buy one of these
    12-17-12 10:42 AM
    and after reading this, all of a sudden i ordered one online & is now expecting it to arrive in the mail tomorrow or the next day -- just can't wait! i'll also be using it as my 2nd phone. Ben, you're guilty for having me to buy one of these
    Muhaha cool. I'm liking mine the more I use it which is a couple of times a day lately. I am itching to see if I can use it for a week on its own & leave my 9900 packed away. On the 9000 the internet still isn't working. I can view twitter pics with a bit of a wait over wifi but web pages take such a long time and still don't load.

I'll load a different os to fix the problem then see how I get on. Be sure to post some pics here when its delivered Hafeez & congrats on your wise purchase
    12-17-12 11:24 AM
    Muhaha cool. I'm liking mine the more I use it which is a couple of times a day lately. I am itching to see if I can use it for a week on its own & leave my 9900 packed away. On the 9000 the internet still isn't working. I can view twitter pics with a bit of a wait over wifi but web pages take such a long time and still don't load.

I'll load a different os to fix the problem then see how I get on. Be sure to post some pics here when its delivered Hafeez & congrats on your wise purchase
    will do, sir.. in my case, i'll stay with the 9900 as my daily driver. the 9000 will be a 2nd phone. i'm starting to like the idea of getting these two phones as a primary & secondary, as the keyboards are almost similar, so that won't detriment my typing speed in any ways
    12-17-12 07:26 PM

I think that has something to do with the internet speed. our 9900 have great internet speeds that browsing won't be much of a problem, but i think legacy devices such as the 9000 were still somewhat underpowered in those days. that's why i still prefer the 9900 over anything including my then-galaxy note. i must admit the Note has some great decent internet speed / HSPA+ mind you, but i still prefer the bigger screen on my 7-inch Playbook bridged with my 9900 for browsing the web, which is why I ditched the Galaxy Note N7000 in the first place.
    12-17-12 08:49 PM
    yeah! finally it came today in the mail!

the courier guys did an amazing job that it took me not more than 24hrs to get my hands on this new beauty. as promised, here are some pics. sorry for the lack of quality though, i took the pics using my Playbook. got too excited that i didn't even think of doing any adjustments to get better quality pics. well, here you go

Finally got a brand new 9000 ! (pics)-img_00000053.jpg unusual packaging

Finally got a brand new 9000 ! (pics)-img_00000054.jpg looks legit

Finally got a brand new 9000 ! (pics)-img_00000055.jpg it's legit!

Finally got a brand new 9000 ! (pics)-img_00000057.jpg eye-candy, maybe?

it's still charging now, can't wait to get it out for a little play!
    Ben1232 likes this.
    12-18-12 02:35 AM
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...1130-00371.jpg
    Rom 1096 Is that right?
    Download file volumepatchbb90005.0.0.1096.exe from link:
    Then connect your BB with PC/laptop (USB) -> Run file volumepatchbb90005.0.0.1096.exe ->... Done
    Last edited by vipkyd; 01-09-13 at 08:06 PM.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    01-07-13 01:23 AM
    @Hafeez, that's looking good there. Another new one. How are you finding it compared to your 9900 ?

I've only just realised you posted when I saw another post below yours.

@vipkyd, thanks for the link and tip. I'll give that a try soon.
    01-07-13 06:47 AM
    I took delivery of this today. A BlackBerry 9000 power station. eBay had some for �10, then I found new ones on Amazon for �5 delivered so thought I had to get one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002...bUvbUpU7830604
    vipkyd likes this.
    01-07-13 07:08 AM
    Wow I am quite tempted to do the same!

In honor of BB10 we shall rock the legendary 9000...
    Ben1232 likes this.
    01-07-13 04:04 PM
    Wow I am quite tempted to do the same!

In honor of BB10 we shall rock the legendary 9000...
    Cool idea.

Accessories are cheap too. I've just bought a genuine brand new battery for �3 and already bought a genuine BlackBerry soft case for �1.

Go for it !

I'm leaving my 9900 indoors tomorrow and see how I feel without it.
    01-07-13 04:28 PM
    @Hafeez, that's looking good there. Another new one. How are you finding it compared to your 9900 ?

I've only just realised you posted when I saw another post below yours. .
    as for me, I'm not comparing it to my Bold 9900. I get your point of comparing those two in terms of performance to see whether we still can live without the 9900 around and make the 9000 as our primary handset (correct me if I'm wrong).

but personally, i still value both. i love the antique feel of using a Bold 9000, but at the same time i am still concerned about going around with less-than-enough memory on my phone. that's where the 9900 comes. i won't be as insecure as I am with the 9000 when it comes to heavily multitask on my phone. my 9900 does that better than my 9000.

as a matter of preference, 9900 comes first. but I'll carry the 9000 around as a spare phone just in case, together with my 9700 that arrived 2-3 weeks ago .

one thing that I'm concerned about the 9000 is when the battery drains fast, i have to turn off the phone to save some juice. but then when i tried to turn it on, it won't turn on. i've tried almost every possible solution that makes sense to solve the issue, but they didn't help, which resulted in me buying a new battery. and now i maintain my charging discipline to avoid that from happening again.

but overall, the 9000 is still a great phone, considering it used to wear the flagship crown. I love flagship devices no matter from which decade it came in RIM's history.
    vipkyd likes this.
    01-08-13 09:49 PM
58 123