Installed last night and it loaded flawlessly. Took about 25 minutes total. This OS seems quick and snappy much like OS 5.0.0.979. I presume memory may be an issue for many. Before the upgrade I had approx 118 MB free. I now have around 74 MB. I am keeping an eye on this as I had 82 MB last night and this morning have 74. I have had no problems with this OS so far. Glad to finally upgrade since I have not installed any prior leaked versions of OS 6, and only official OS 5 versions.
    04-29-11 08:18 AM
    Okay....now I'm down to 71.2 MB in a matter of a few hours. Anyone else seeing memory leaks?
    04-29-11 09:10 AM
    I upgraded my os yesterday. I had been using another 6.0 from a different carrier. I noticed that my cursor is back in bbm i'm happy about that.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-29-11 09:29 AM
    If I don't shrink and just DL the new O/S 6, how will it affect functionality? I currently have about 90 MB of free space. Thanks.
    it might be down to 50-60mb without shrink.
    04-29-11 10:47 AM
    Yeah, memory loss is a result- but it seems to fluctuate wildly over time. 28MB free, back up to 65MB, usually averages around 50MB overall. It depends on what I'm actually doing at the time. No real leaks, per se, just the variation as the day goes on.
    04-29-11 11:01 AM
    I just got a 9700 (for work in tandem with my Torch) and decided to shrink then upgrade the os today. After I did this and the phone restarted, a message popped up saying:

"uncaught exception:
    java.lang.NullPointerException"

Should I worry about this? Has this happened to anyone else?
    It's the first time I used BB Boss and not sure if I might have done something wrong with the BB.
    04-29-11 11:29 AM
    I just got a 9700 (for work in tandem with my Torch) and decided to shrink then upgrade the os today. After I did this and the phone restarted, a message popped up saying:

"uncaught exception:
    java.lang.NullPointerException"

Should I worry about this? Has this happened to anyone else?
    It's the first time I used BB Boss and not sure if I might have done something wrong with the BB.
    Double check what you shrunk out and reload the OS. This is what I used:

04-29-11 11:35 AM
    Anybody else have around 50mb of free memory? When I downloaded last night I had about 65 mb, now have anywhere from 40mib to 55mb. Is this sufficient? OS seems to be running flawlessly so far.
    04-29-11 12:06 PM
    Anybody else have around 50mb of free memory? When I downloaded last night I had about 65 mb, now have anywhere from 40mib to 55mb. Is this sufficient? OS seems to be running flawlessly so far.
    That is normal after apps/address book/messages etc. all load up!
    04-29-11 12:12 PM
    I downloaded last night. Shrunk the **** out of it and had 113MB file free today with my apps. I noticed my memory began to decrease pretty rapidly. Within 2 hours this morning and barely touching the phone I was at 90. That's a very big memory leak. Maybe I'll give OS 6 another go after a few more builds. I would have been fine it the memory didn't decrease. Hopefully one or 2 more builds and OS 6 will fully be optimized for the 9700.
    04-29-11 12:33 PM
    I really want to try this, I've been waiting for an official OS6 release from AT&T. What are the downsides to shrinking the OS? Also, has anyone who has installed this noticed if their Bold boots up faster than before?
    04-29-11 01:52 PM
    I really want to try this, I've been waiting for an official OS6 release from AT&T. What are the downsides to shrinking the OS? Also, has anyone who has installed this noticed if their Bold boots up faster than before?
    What's the difference between this version and another carrier's release? Boot up time is amazing. My device was super fast. I don't think there are any downsides to shrinking unless you take out something crucial which is kind of hard to do. After I shrunk my OS was around 58mb but I noticed it was missing the social feeds even though I didn't check that. My file free was 113MB at startup with my handful of apps. I noticed that it was decreasing, at first pretty slowly then all of the sudden I lost like 20mb. I will definitely try OS6 again when a new build comes out with no memory leak. Wasn't too crazy about the browser closing pages left and right due to the lack of memory either. Good luck!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kat0908 likes this.
    04-29-11 01:59 PM
    What's the difference between this version and another carrier's release? Boot up time is amazing. My device was super fast. I don't think there are any downsides to shrinking unless you take out something crucial which is kind of hard to do. After I shrunk my OS was around 58mb but I noticed it was missing the social feeds even though I didn't check that. My file free was 113MB at startup with my handful of apps. I noticed that it was decreasing, at first pretty slowly then all of the sudden I lost like 20mb. I will definitely try OS6 again when a new build comes out with no memory leak. Wasn't too crazy about the browser closing pages left and right due to the lack of memory either. Good luck!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I'm still on the fence about it. I really wanted OS6 for my 9700 but not if it's going to affect the performance of my Bold. Then again if I decide to wait on the next build from AT&T there's no telling how long that could be considering how long this one took. Hmm...
    04-29-11 02:24 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I'm still on the fence about it. I really wanted OS6 for my 9700 but not if it's going to affect the performance of my Bold. Then again if I decide to wait on the next build from AT&T there's no telling how long that could be considering how long this one took. Hmm...
    I installed it, and it doesn't really affect the performance at all. Boot up is much quicker, but not super speedy. And if after a week or so, it turns out to be a bit of a dud I can just downgrade using the Desktop Manager. Not all that concerned about it. It just takes a bit to get used to and it seems like it takes longer to do stuff- but only because they shuffled the icons around. Just finding what you want takes an extra second or two. That will improve as I get it setup to my way of doing stuff.
    redbadger likes this.
    04-29-11 02:49 PM
    I debated for a long time to upgrade to OS 6 and when I finally did, I was very pleased... For this thinking about it, just do it. Just remember to shrink your OS.

The cool think I noticed about OS 6 was that when you rearrange your icons in one theme, they stay that way when you pull up another theme..
    04-29-11 03:16 PM
    i have successfully upgraded my 9700 to .534 and its now functioning well and quite smoothly XD...thx for any of ur help!

but one thing is bothering me which is the memory i got left is slightly scary:
    my 9700 got only 17mb free right after the upgrade, then i rebooted the device and 28mb was told to b free... so im kind of worrying now coz ive deleted all themes for OS5, and left only EnUK EnUS and another 2 inputs for daily use, what else should i give up to set more memory free?

any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
    04-29-11 03:38 PM
    i have successfully upgraded my 9700 to .534 and its now functioning well and quite smoothly XD...thx for any of ur help!

my 9700 got only 17mb free right after the upgrade, then i rebooted the device and 28mb was told to b free... so im kind of worrying now coz ive deleted all themes for OS5, and left only EnUK EnUS and another 2 inputs for daily use, what else should i give up to set more memory free?

Did you shrink your OS before you installed it? I was able to get my OS file size down to about 76 MB.. After all my apps were reloaded i'm sitting at around 75 MB of memory..
    04-29-11 03:49 PM
    Did you shrink your OS before you installed it? I was able to get my OS file size down to about 76 MB.. After all my apps were reloaded i'm sitting at around 75 MB of memory..
    well... i didnt shrink it, can i shrink the OS now and do the whole "upgrade process" to my device again?

btw, could u plz give me a link to some details in shrinking an OS? coz im afraid of shrinking some essential parts and blow the whole OS up...

and...i just realized that appworld cannot be found! but i see it in DM and it says installed...
    Last edited by FullmetalBBer; 04-29-11 at 04:46 PM.
    04-29-11 04:14 PM

Wow thats really low. I still feel RIM should take care of this. If you experience the same memory leak I did you'll have no memory left with in a matter of hours.
    04-29-11 05:54 PM
    I don't suppose there is a way to shrink the OS and have everything automatically restored to the way it's taken me a day and a half to set up just the way I like it, eh?

I didn't think so.

(but please do tell me if I'm wrong...is there a way to take a snapshot like with windows?)
    04-29-11 06:41 PM
    I don't suppose there is a way to shrink the OS and have everything automatically restored to the way it's taken me a day and a half to set up just the way I like it, eh?

I didn't think so.

(but please do tell me if I'm wrong...is there a way to take a snapshot like with windows?)
    For capturing... I use BB Capture
    04-29-11 07:27 PM
    For capturing... I use BB Capture
    Woohoo!!! I guess it doesn't hurt to ask sometimes.

I'll be checking that out, not just for this instance but in general. Right on!
    04-29-11 07:31 PM
    LOL. I wasn't at all clear. Sorry.

I didn't mean a screen capture. I meant a real image of the actual setup of everything, not just a visual picture of it. So I don't have to go through it all again.

(But like I said, I didn't think so. Especially if the OS itself is changing.)
    04-29-11 07:40 PM
    LOL. I wasn't at all clear. Sorry.

I didn't mean a screen capture. I meant a real image of the actual setup of everything, not just a visual picture of it. So I don't have to go through it all again.

(But like I said, I didn't think so. Especially if the OS itself is changing.)
    Yeah I don't think there is. You can just backup everything through DM (Desktop Manager) and then once you load all your apps, that will load all your messages, e-mails, and settings.
    mrskittens likes this.
    04-29-11 07:43 PM
    Yeah I don't think there is. You can just backup everything through DM (Desktop Manager) and then once you load all your apps, that will load all your messages, e-mails, and settings.
    Yeah, I just wish it remembered more. Ah well. I'll just see how bad this leak turns out to be on a regular basis, then decide.

p.s. I moved your thanks from one post to another.
    04-29-11 07:48 PM
166 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD