Ok I want to make it know that I am not eligible for an upgrade until may 2010...and I currently have a samsung eternity...and here are the details about my features.

$29.99 nation 200 plan(grandfathered in)

$15.00 1500 texts

$15.00 unlimited data

so that comes out to 59.99 a month + taxes

Here is what I think would happen if I get a bold(from ebay) correct me if I am wrong.

1. I could insert my sim card to make calls and text, but I need an official "blackberry data plan" to access the web(excluding wifi)

2. My bill would stay the same until I get an official BB data plan

3. Is there anything else that would not work until I notify ATT that I actually have a BB?

Thanks in advance
    07-11-09 08:51 PM
    you should probably drop the data plan since it might not work with the bb and save yourself some bucks. (but of course try it before you cancel!! LOL)
    07-11-09 09:21 PM
    From what I under stand you'll have no e mail' and no blackberry messenger. Other than that not sure
    07-11-09 09:33 PM
    AT&T will let you drop the data and pickup the BB plan.

To answer your question, push e-mail, BB Messenger, and maybe a couple of other things will not work.
    07-11-09 09:33 PM
    knowing AT&T as I do after having been with them since they were Bell South - Cingular - now AT&T and how they take no prisoners as far as getting their money from you is concerned. You don't have to have the BB data plan unless you just want it. Even if youi had the BB data plan you would still need the text plan because the BB data plan doesn't include texting (how un-cool is that?)

At any rate - you will not have to tell them you have the Bold - as soon as you stick your sim card into the Bold - they will know you have it. So brace yourself for some bill surprizes at that point.

You have the $29.99 plan - wow, that is an old one. I haven't seen that one in a while. Anyway - your bill will look like this if you go all the way BB"

$29.99 (if they let you keep that one)
    15.00 Text plan
    30.00 BB data plan
    $74.99 Total then add taxes and fees

Again - how un-cool is that?

Peace.....
    07-11-09 09:47 PM
    knowing AT&T as I do after having been with them since they were Bell South - Cingular - now AT&T and how they take no prisoners as far as getting their money from you is concerned. You don't have to have the BB data plan unless you just want it. Even if youi had the BB data plan you would still need the text plan because the BB data plan doesn't include texting (how un-cool is that?)

At any rate - you will not have to tell them you have the Bold - as soon as you stick your sim card into the Bold - they will know you have it. So brace yourself for some bill surprizes at that point.

You have the $29.99 plan - wow, that is an old one. I haven't seen that one in a while. Anyway - your bill will look like this if you go all the way BB"

$29.99 (if they let you keep that one)
    15.00 Text plan
    30.00 BB data plan
    $74.99 Total then add taxes and fees

Again - how un-cool is that?

Peace.....

Thank you

That is what I figured, but I could also get an additional 10% off that 74.99 from my schools almuni association. (I just have to enroll in that) which alone is $36(how STUPID is that!?!?) so in reality my final bill including that discount and taxes should be about 77 or so. I mean its not as high as it could be but I would also love a lower bill no doubt...

but how could ATT know that I have a bold as soon as I put my sim card in? I switched several times from non BB phones and they never knew...does the bold somehow send out a signal that I have it?
    07-11-09 09:54 PM
    Thank you

That is what I figured, but I could also get an additional 10% off that 74.99 from my schools almuni association. (I just have to enroll in that) which alone is $36(how STUPID is that!?!?) so in reality my final bill including that discount and taxes should be about 77 or so. I mean its not as high as it could be but I would also love a lower bill no doubt...

but how could ATT know that I have a bold as soon as I put my sim card in? I switched several times from non BB phones and they never knew...does the bold somehow send out a signal that I have it?
    It's good you can get a discount (Smiles) I can only wish and I'm an educator, too. I will look into that for myself.

Any way - I don't know how they know what kind of phone you have your SIM card in - I only know that lately (within the last 6 months or so) they have been able to tell what kind of phone you have your SIM card in within about 2 or three hours. I don't know if that is true for the AT&T in your area, but it is true for the AT&T in my area. And the phone doesn't have to be a BB.

Peace...
    07-11-09 10:04 PM
    Thank you

ATT doesn't really care what kind of phone you have, and how many times you switch it. I had an unlocked G1 and was talking to the Sales manager at the ATT store and they thought that was cool.
    07-11-09 11:51 PM
    nope you can keep your current data plan i had the same for a while but switch to bis because i wanted the full experience your current data will work att wont know unless you give them your current imei they only sweep for iphones anyway
    07-12-09 07:17 AM
    I have noticed that AT&T can tell which phone I have my sims card in quickly. I've changed my card before and signed on to my account on the web and the new phone was displayed on the screen. Without the BB data package you won't have the push e-mail function, which is what makes the BB sooooo cool.
    07-12-09 11:38 AM
    As far as AT&T knowing which phone you have your SIM in, ... it may not be a secret since all mobiles do register the SIM and IMEI at the towers.

There are even databases online such as: International Numbering Plans

On topic- AT&T won't star billing you for anything you don't sign up for if you switch your SIM in to a BB. The BIS side of the blackberry won't work, however the WAP side will (use of the WAP browser) and txt messages will work. BBM won't, most of the Blackberry Instant Messaging clients (MSN, AIM, Y!) won't ... not sure if the third party ones will like BeeJive ... may work if they can be configured to go over WAP.
    07-13-09 10:01 AM
    As soon as my sim was put into the Bold, it showed on the AT&T web site as my device. I am eligable for an upgrade in August, but since I already have the Bold (which is the best), I'll wait for the Magnum.
    07-13-09 10:12 AM
    I have this sound like an echo, but everyone is right.. Soon as you stick the SIM card in it shows up on the site that you have a BOLD. In order for you to have the 3G experience you have to call them and provide the IMEI of the device.. Just a little FYI there....
    07-13-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD