1. Who in the heck decided it would be a good idea to put the location for the usb/battery charger port where it is? Did they not plug it in and try to use the device while it was charging? Maybe they assumed that people didn't use their device while it was plugged in - I know it seems outlandish that someone might actually have to use their device while it's charging. It's current location is terribly annoying - having to unplug it from charging just to type a message or email. The location on my previous device (Curve 8830) and other devices I have seen was/are perfectly fine.

2. My battery seems to die quickly. I do not have wi-fi on and have made very few calls and do light internet surfing (only apps are gmail, google maps, bloomberg, scoremobile, weather, and facebook - all apps I had on my Curve) but the charge does not hold. Are there other settings I should change?

3. When viewing a pdf why did they do away with the "find" feature? The only way to search for text now that I have seen is to go to the menu and select "view text" and then select "find" but it only scans that page and not the whole document. It would be nice to have a "find" feature that will search the entire PDF document.

4. The screen is great but I wish it were larger

5. I haven't had problems with making calls, hearing conversations, etc. Everything seems perfectly fine. The trackpad works nice to but does take time to get used to.

6. The browser is terrible. I shouldn't have to zoom and scroll all over the place to read a news article. Is it that hard to get it to fit nicely on the screen?

7. Camera is pretty good too.

8. The instructions to remove the battery cover are terrible. It took 4 different people and over 45 minutes to figure it out. The instructions show to push up on the release tab and then slide the cover down. This is akin to pushing your fists together. We finally found to push the release tab in and lift up on the door - pretty easy once we figured it out but far different than what was in the instructions.

9. The vibrate is a little too soft and quiet - I have missed calls with it sitting right next to me on my desk. Although I don't wish for it to move the Earth like my Curve did on the vibrate setting, it could be much improved.

10. The only weird thing I have noticed is that when I receive a call the prior call's info appears on the screen initially and then it changes to the incoming call. I thought I had two people calling me at the same time at first and then figured it out.

All in all I really like the device but am confused by some of the changes I have seen.

Any help on some of these issues would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by TB1000; 06-14-10 at 12:56 PM.
    06-14-10 12:34 PM
    As for #9, it's because the device is easily more than twice as heavy as the Curve, so the device just doesn't move much.

In order to fix it they would probably have to drastically shorten the battery life by making the weight and rotor stronger. So I mean technically they could fix it, but I think a lot of people wouldn't like the tradeoff.
    06-14-10 12:38 PM
    Wow...
    1: Yes, the charging port is in a funky place & we have all complained about it.
    2. Charge the battery often as you can the first few weeks. Mine wasn't great when I got it but it's getting a whole lot better. This is w/ Twitter app always on, BBM, Txt, & phone calls. It does & will get better.
    3. Can't help you w/ 3, I deleted Doc's To Go. Sorry
    4. The screen is small compared to others but the dedicated keyboard is great. The screen is a whole lot better that my old 8330
    5. Love the track pad too
    6. With the browser open click on BB Key: Options> General Properties>Default View & click on the "Tab" & select "Column">BB Key & "Save Options & close. This will help you with the zooming problem.
    7. Lot's of improvement on the camera. Even with the OtterBox Defender case on it takes great pictures
    8. Sorry, no comment. I didn't have any problems with the battery door.
    9. I agree. I wish the vibrate was better. Can't feel the phone if it's in my pocket half the time. I hope it's a software issue & not hardware. (But it's probably hardware). The sounds can be a little louder. Wonder if one of the dev's can come up with a fix for that?

I hope I helped you at least a little....
    06-14-10 12:50 PM
    By the sounds being louder do you mean the notification sounds? All you have to do is increase the volume on them in your profile settings.
    06-14-10 12:54 PM
    LOL @ #8.

Pretty much everything else is spot on.

This is my 5th different Blackberry and this 9650 is by far the best I've ever owned. My issues are with how long the battery lasts and how sometimes the device gets hot. Other than that, I'm good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 12:56 PM
    By the sounds being louder do you mean the notification sounds? All you have to do is increase the volume on them in your profile settings.
    To me the ringtones aren't as loud as the old 8330.
    Hmmm...I'm going to do a side by side test. Maybe it is just me...
    06-14-10 12:58 PM
    What do you mean by "the charge does not hold?"

With no apps running in the background, my 9630 (running a 9630/9650 hybrid) gets a good day and a half using about a half hour of phone and a half hour of browsing.

One trick is to close apps properly, using the "exit" or "close" under options rather than putting into the background by using the red phone button. Some background apps will suck up power.
    06-14-10 01:14 PM
    Judging by the fact it took you and 4 others 45 minutes to take off the battery door, a bb might not be the right choice. Get something that requires no intelligence (or battery door removal), like an iphone.
    06-14-10 01:18 PM
    Anyone who doesn't travel and use your phone on GSM should flip the sim card upside down.. It might increase your battery life.
    06-14-10 01:20 PM
    Anyone who doesn't travel and use your phone on GSM should flip the sim card upside down.. It might increase your battery life.
    Options/Mobile Network/Network Technology: 1XEV should do the same trick. The default is set to "Global", which means it will search both 1XEV and GSM/UMTS bands for a cell base station.
    06-14-10 01:30 PM
    I'd flip the card over regardless because you still get the sim card prompt on reboot. Also i've heard some users report that it auto-switches back to "Global" on a reboot if you don't flip/remove the sim.
    06-14-10 01:33 PM
    Did a side by test of the old 8330 & the 9650. The 9650 is louder.
    The 8330 sounds come from the back & the 9650 are directed to the front. But regardless, the 9650 wins...
    My apologies sir, & I stand corrected.
    Thank you...
    06-14-10 01:41 PM
    Good list. I'd say that #1, 2, 4, and 6 were known tradeoffs in my case, so I can't complain about them. Two items did bother me a bit, though.

I agree wholeheartedly with a sheepish grin on #8, except in my case it was just me and less than five minutes. I was trying and trying to press and slide like it said without breaking the door. At some point I accidentally lifted instead of sliding, and it popped right open. Surprise! Well, that was quite frustrating, and left me a bit concerned about the rest of the setup, but fortunately, everything else seemed to be correct.

#9 is the other one that bothers me. I typically left my old phone in my pocket on vibrate all the time, but I've missed a couple of calls and several e-mails with my 9650, so now the sound is on most of the time. Wasn't expecting this one.
    06-14-10 01:47 PM
    # 6 Set your browser to column view.
    06-14-10 01:48 PM
    Judging by the fact it took you and 4 others 45 minutes to take off the battery door, a bb might not be the right choice. Get something that requires no intelligence (or battery door removal), like an iphone.

Great idea, I think I'll go do that now. One question though, what's an iPhone?
    06-14-10 01:51 PM
    Does anyone have a solution for #3? I have to look at documents on the go quite a bit and the "find" function for searching text in PDFs is a big time saver for me (well, it was when my other bberrys had it).

thanks for the other tips.
    06-14-10 01:55 PM
    I agree with most of that list. The vibrate thing is prolly the biggest one for me.
    06-14-10 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD