I think like using 9700 and *not* getting new iPhone 4. Frankly, I had 9700 before, but returned it couple times due to defective units (which is a pain, we all know). What I feel now, that probably I want to go with 9700. Mostly because of email, text, keyboard, IM and battery. May be also I can that phone feels more like a "business" device, not "toy" device. It really annoyed me whenever I pull the iPhone it always about "wow, what games do you have there?" -- and I don't even play games on the iPhone! :-) I rarely do, really.

The problem here is almost all my friends they have iPhone's and really into new one. I am okay with the new one. Yeah, good build quality. Faster, more memory. Do not have one "really big for me" thing. So, all my friends are really thinking that I am crazy to downgrade to 9700. As well, as in AT&T store representative even try to talk me out of 9700, because he said that 9700 is really often defective, so you have to dig your own best one :-), and besides, Blackberry is not cool-tech, if to compare with the iPhone 4. He suggested me to wait and get new iPhone 4.

So, my thought is -- am I the only one with such "ideas"? Don't get me wrong - very important here that I am not one of "haters" (there are quite few on this forum) -- I do not hate Blackberry, neither Apple -- I respect all their products and stuff. Just trying to find the better device?
    06-19-10 12:49 PM
    So you've gravitated towards the 9700, but are second-guessing your decision because of good old peer pressure! I'll bet it costs a lot more per month to run an iPhone (which has features you don't care that much for,) so of course AT&T will want to steer you in that direction.

I'm sorry to hear you had defective 9700s. My 9700 (on T-Mobile) is well-built, and trouble-free.
    06-19-10 01:07 PM
    No, frankly speaking, monthly costs are the same for me. I am already AT&T customer, it's just most of people around me are pointing that iPhone IS much better. Yeah, kinda pressure. ;-) I do rely on new tech, and I do want to have new tech with me, just because I am in IT business, live by email and IMs. ;-) But again, it's nothing what iPhone or 9700 can't solve, they both do. It's just everybody saying that Blackberry is not "cool tech" anymore.
    And again, I am really concerned as for the iPhone just because it got known well for it's games. I could care less for games. And I am not music fan who spends hours with earphones on rocking his fav bands. I am okay with my music for the gym. That's about all my requirements for the media on the phone. I want my email, contacts, calendar, I want IM, and I want to be able to browse. Which of those I all can do on both phones...
    06-19-10 01:27 PM
    If you can do what you want on both phones, just pick the one YOU like better. Your friends may call a BB uncool, but they won't be using it, you will.
    06-19-10 02:08 PM
    I've never really understood why people put so much stock in other people's reviews and opinions. They're entirely different people, why should they decide what you end up buying? Now, I can understand using reviews to find the top candidates for a new phone or device, but to let other people decide what you're going to spend your own money on seems silly to me.

It's for that reason that I'll probably be sticking to BlackBerry for a while to come, no matter how "uncool" or "dated" their devices are. I wouldn't give up my 9000 for the world - unless of course the 9800 has a better/identical keyboard
    06-19-10 02:30 PM
    Agree, but am I overlooking something? That's why I came with this question to BB forum to hear people who are using BBs about iPhone 4. I guess.
    06-19-10 02:32 PM
    I've never really understood why people put so much stock in other people's reviews and opinions. They're entirely different people, why should they decide what you end up buying? Now, I can understand using reviews to find the top candidates for a new phone or device, but to let other people decide what you're going to spend your own money on seems silly to me.
    Well, you always have to hear others opinion. It's not like they are making a decision, but I just wanted to ask "different auditory" to see if there are valid points on those words.
    06-19-10 02:43 PM
    Your not a noobie to phones and its sounds like you know what you need/want.

Enjoy the 9700 :-)
    06-19-10 04:08 PM
    Why do you care what other people think of you just cause the type of phone you have? Get whatever phone you want and one that works for you. Good Luck!
    06-19-10 04:52 PM
    Why do you care what other people think of you just cause the type of phone you have? Get whatever phone you want and one that works for you. Good Luck!
    Well said, +1 for that
    06-19-10 04:58 PM
    I am happy with my 9700. I've never owned a touch screen phone and don't think I'd like one either.. Can't stand smudges on my screen! Drives me NUTS!!!! I'd like to play with a Droid but honestly can't afford to pay the monthly bill. 67.00 a month with Tmobile works great for me.. Unlimited data/txt is most important to me.. That and the performance of my phone. So all n all my 9700 rocks my socks!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 09:44 PM
    Wait until those tiered data plans kick in. You'll be glad you stayed with a Blackberry! Seriously, I'm staying with my 9700 after much consideration towards the new iPhone. Here's why:

I got used to my iPod Touch keyboard but even then, I like a real keyboard.

Second, not matter how fancy MobileMe is, it's NOT the same as BIS. I found setting up email more difficult than it should be. On my 9700? Seven accounts up and running in a snap.

It truly is a matter of preference. Being that I need a device that excels at email and communication in general and has an "always on" feel, I'm very happy with my 9700.

Here's my setup. I built a Today theme that shows the next six appointments on my home screen. I also use Berrypopup so I can quickly weed through incoming messages without even needing to go to my Messages folder.

To quote a much used Apple description "It just works!"

Finally, the 9700 has the best battery life I've EVER seen!

06-19-10 09:55 PM
    I am happy with my 9700. I've never owned a touch screen phone and don't think I'd like one either.. Can't stand smudges on my screen! Drives me NUTS!!!! I'd like to play with a Droid but honestly can't afford to pay the monthly bill. 67.00 a month with Tmobile works great for me.. Unlimited data/txt is most important to me.. That and the performance of my phone. So all n all my 9700 rocks my socks!!!

Thanks, but last thing I worry is monthly bill (it's big enough even now, so doesn't matter which device I'll use ;-).
    06-19-10 10:31 PM
    Wait until those tiered data plans kick in. You'll be glad you stayed with a Blackberry! Seriously, I'm staying with my 9700 after much consideration towards the new iPhone. Here's why:
    Well, I am using less than 500MB on iPhone, not worried about that.

I got used to my iPod Touch keyboard but even then, I like a real keyboard.
    I guess it's personal preference. For me they are pretty much equal.

Second, not matter how fancy MobileMe is, it's NOT the same as BIS. I found setting up email more difficult than it should be. On my 9700? Seven accounts up and running in a snap.
    MobileMe is not my preference neither. Works fine, though. But most of my accounts are Google Apps / Gmail.
    06-19-10 11:18 PM
    get the iphone... as I type right now BIS is down and i'm not able to send out any email. f'n hate blackberry and there random outages. I have tmobile and will be getting an iphone4 and unlocking. I don't care if I won't have 3g right now anything is better than the bb.
    06-20-10 03:20 AM
    get the iphone... as I type right now BIS is down and i'm not able to send out any email. f'n hate blackberry and there random outages. I have tmobile and will be getting an iphone4 and unlocking. I don't care if I won't have 3g right now anything is better than the bb.
    quoted for future reference - statistics show that you are almost always going to miss your BB again after you get more aquatinted with the iPhone.

but yeah, the BIS has a tendency to go down. this appears to be a planned upgrade though, as it is almost three in the morning mountain time and only three hours more in Ontario time. RIM usually upgrades their networks when it s not active, and most likely the Eurasion one is still up.

I REALLY should find a means to track the outage pattern
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-20-10 at 03:46 AM.
    06-20-10 03:26 AM
    quoted for future reference - statistics show that you are almost always going to miss your BB again after you get more aquatinted with the iPhone.
    Statistics? You cannot be serious.
    06-20-10 03:50 AM
    Statistics? You cannot be serious.
    There is enough redundant posts on this site to gather statistics.
    06-20-10 03:53 AM

but yeah, the BIS has a tendency to go down. this appears to be a planned upgrade though, as it is almost three in the morning mountain time and only three hours more in Ontario time. RIM usually upgrades their networks when it s not active, and most likely the Eurasion one is still up.

I REALLY should find a means to track the outage pattern
    i'll still keep my bb, tell i'm 100% sure i like the iphone4 i'm pretty sure I will. the bb email restrictions / problems are just too much for me. I really rely on emails a lot. truncated email, file size limit, incoming emails being delayed up to 10-15mins, and random outages... thats too much for "business phone"
    06-20-10 05:23 AM
    There is enough redundant posts on this site to gather statistics.
    "for people on Crackberry".
    06-20-10 08:30 AM
    If opinion is still wanted on this, I'd suggest passing up on the 9700. I'd wait for the 9800 or just go with the iToy4 and be done with it. The 9700 is proving not to be worth the money its priced at.
    06-20-10 10:56 AM
    If opinion is still wanted on this, I'd suggest passing up on the 9700. I'd wait for the 9800 or just go with the iToy4 and be done with it. The 9700 is proving not to be worth the money its priced at.
    Wouldn't mind an explanation on this one.
    06-20-10 03:42 PM
    Its too bad blackberry is called king of email. But when friends send me a winzip file sharing pictures my blackberry says this "message truncated due to size". Then my cousin opens his on his iphone and bam. I'm embarrassed of my email powerhouse blackberry couldn't open emails properly.

06-21-10 01:01 AM
    Its too bad blackberry is called king of email. But when friends send me a winzip file sharing pictures my blackberry says this "message truncated due to size". Then my cousin opens his on his iphone and bam. I'm embarrassed of my email powerhouse blackberry couldn't open emails properly.

LOL. How true. It should be called the BlackBerry Subject line and a few lines of plain text king cuz @ times it seems that's all its good for. Truncated poorly rendered halfway HTML email is about the norm on BB. Hey but it comes in the microsecond it hits ur inbox! LOL

06-21-10 04:26 PM

I don't think that BBs can even OPEN .zip files, and the iPhone most likely was jailbroken to add that feature iirc.
    06-21-10 05:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD