I created this FAQ by piecing together some other incomplete FAQs and testing then on my laptop running XP. There may be a different way to do this in Vista, when I get a chance I will try it out and report back.

HOW TO TETHER YOUR AT&T BOLD TO YOUR LAPTOP (XP)

Find out which COM ports the RIM Virtual Serial Ports are:
    go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) ... This will tell you which COM ports your BlackBerry Modem is on.

Next, go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem and Remove any modem on the ports you found your Blackberry to be on. Re-add the modem by clicking on Add. You MUST select the "Standard 33600 bps Modem" (correct)*INSTEAD OF "Standard 56000 bps Modem"(wrong).*Click Next.

You will be asked for the ports to add this modem to. Add this modem to all COM ports that the RIM Virtual Serial Port is on. You must choose the "Standard 33600 bps Modem" because of incompatible AT commands that result in an Error 628. Don't worry, the speed won't be slower.

Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM4 or COM5). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:

Quote:
    ATQ0V1E0 - OK*
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem*
    AT+FCLASS=? - OK*
    AT#CLS=? - OK*
    AT+GCI? - OK*
    AT+GCI=? - OK*
    ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*
    ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem*

If you have something different on ATQ0V1E0 - OK, AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem, AT+FCLASS=? - OK, AT#CLS=? - OK, AT+GCI? - OK, AT+GCI=? - OK; don't worry, mine still worked.
    IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    IF YOU HAVE AT&T:
    Click Properties -> Advanced and add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier-specific APN Setting to:*AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

SETTING UP THE CONNECTION:

1. In Control Panel go to*Network Connections. Choose*Create a New Connection.
    2. Choose to*Connect to the Internet.
    3. Choose to*Set up the Connection Manually.
    4. Choose to*Connect using a dial-up modem.
    5. If there are multiple modems to choose from, select the modem that connects to the BlackBerry.
    6. Choose an*Name*for the connection. (I used Bold for mine)
    7. Type in the phone number *99#.
    8. Only fill in a User name and a Password if required by the by the network provider. (Not needed for AT&T)

Disclaimer:

This has only been tested on the AT&T Blackberry Bold.
    09-26-09 03:30 PM
    Nice thanks
    09-26-09 07:31 PM
    This will also work for people who do pay for tethering. I use this same way to tether via Bluetooth, instead of with USB sometimes. I just change anything that says WAP.CINGULAR to ISP.CINGULAR instead.

Either way, thanks for putting this up.
    Last edited by joemecu; 09-26-09 at 08:32 PM.
    09-26-09 08:30 PM
    or if your on a mac just install the desktop manager or real deal and it will automaticall ask to set it up as a modem when you plug it in for the first time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 01:03 AM
    nice thread

09-27-09 09:56 AM
    Instead of all this work just buy pdanet, its so easy to use and you get high speed as well. I love it.

09-27-09 11:49 AM
    Worked perfectly the only thing is hat i dont have a standard 33600bps moden but a varios speed so i choosed the closest one
    09-27-09 12:24 PM
    The new DM 5 will do this without all those settings. Works like a charm.
    09-28-09 06:11 AM
    Now, by doing this without a tether plan, do you still run the risk of being charged for data usage?
    09-28-09 07:27 AM
    Im actually curious about this as well. I understand that its always possible to get charged when doing something like this for free, but is this actually free, at least in the immediate sense?
    09-28-09 07:46 AM
    I consider this the same as shoplifting. If you do it and don't get caught then you breathe a sigh of relief and keep going, however if you do get caught, the penalties can be harsh and costly.

Yes you do run the risk of getting nailed with a very high bill, or AT&T can terminate your contract immediately.
    09-28-09 08:16 AM
    I consider this the same as shoplifting. If you do it and don't get caught then you breathe a sigh of relief and keep going, however if you do get caught, the penalties can be harsh and costly.

Yes you do run the risk of getting nailed with a very high bill, or AT&T can terminate your contract immediately.
    So do you think you can get caught?
    I'd love to try this, but a little nervous.
    Hmm...will do my research for sure

09-29-09 11:14 PM
    So do you think you can get caught?
    I'd love to try this, but a little nervous.
    Hmm...will do my research for sure
    Honestly, I think the chances are very slim if you are wise on how you use it. In fact, I also wanted to try it and set it up on my laptop. It works for me, but I'm in an EDGE area, so the speed is terrible compared to the network cable I have right next to the phone. I removed it just because of the speeds in my area showed it wasn't worth it.

If you use it in place of your ISP, chances are good you will get caught and have a problem. If you use it very sparingly (emergencies only), and in small doses (don't download ISO's and/or album's of MP3's) then I think you will be OK.

However, remember your contract states you can not tether without the additional tethering charge, so just be careful.
    09-30-09 06:51 AM
    Does this mean i can get internet access for free without any charges. I tried a few different ways to set it up using information I've read in the forums and I only got one to work. I connected and then shut it right down to see if I was charged and I was. I am on a prepaid plan and when you make a call or go online you receive a message that states how much money you used and how much you have left.

Is there truly a way to not have to be charged for internet access using the tethering option or just using the phone itself plz help.
    11-02-09 04:51 PM
    I tether all the time and don't have a tethering plan.

11-02-09 05:19 PM
    Does this mean i can get internet access for free without any charges. I tried a few different ways to set it up using information I've read in the forums and I only got one to work. I connected and then shut it right down to see if I was charged and I was. I am on a prepaid plan and when you make a call or go online you receive a message that states how much money you used and how much you have left.

Is there truly a way to not have to be charged for internet access using the tethering option or just using the phone itself plz help.
    No. This allows you to connect your laptop/PC to the Bold to connect to the internet. It still uses data and you will be charged for the usage unless you have a data plan.
    I agree 100% unfortunately not enough people get caught as it would be too hard for AT&T to track them all down and press theft of service charges against all of them. Instead the honest people pay higher rates to pay for the 'stolen' bandwidth by people like the last poster.
    11-02-09 11:29 PM
    I use TetherBerry - it was expensive but worth every penny. Plus I got it on sale a few weeks ago.

11-03-09 12:00 AM
    I am getting Error 692 when seeing if this works... everything else checked out OK before that
    11-03-09 12:26 AM
    lol @ stealing, I have UNLIMITED data, so how can I be stealing? Is it because att says unlimited only means unlimited as long as you don't use too much? So there's a LIMIT on my UNLIMITED data plan?

I've been thethering this way for the longest and I dare att to charge me one extra penny.
    11-03-09 10:10 AM
    I won tetherberry here at Crackberry a few months ago, I simply love it and use it all the time.
    11-03-09 12:26 PM
    lol @ stealing, I have UNLIMITED data, so how can I be stealing? Is it because att says unlimited only means unlimited as long as you don't use too much? So there's a LIMIT on my UNLIMITED data plan?

I've been thethering this way for the longest and I dare att to charge me one extra penny.

amen
    11-03-09 02:15 PM
    hate to be the one that points this out, this is the same steps/info in about 4 other tethering posts along with the Crackberry blog article.

TetherBerry - Tethering Your BlackBerry Simply! | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/

BlackBerry 101: Configure Your BlackBerry as an IP Modem Using Desktop Manager | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/usi...591/#post28192

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/sol...hering-348986/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bla...ervice-139863/

Attached to this post is the ones i used, i had success by installing the AT&T call manager(ACM) then following the steps listed in the docs i attached which are pretty much the same, one or two details are changed depending on the guide/tutorial.

Tethering Guide w Pics.doc
    Tethering 2.txt
    BB Modem.txt
    (docs i used in order before i got it up and running, i connect at just under 1MB a sec)

For Mac Users(feel the love!):http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/bla...-167-a-136856/

Wifi Tethering: http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/st...laptop-353147/
    11-03-09 05:56 PM
    people without a tethering plan, its been suggested to avoid going over 5GB a month, some user's report having chargers on their bills when going over and some report having charges just tethering without a plan, use at ones own risk....
    11-03-09 05:58 PM
    This isn't working for me. It keeps saying it can't find the modem when I query it. And should I use mass storage mode or not? I've tried both ways with no luck

12-01-09 08:50 AM
    This isn't working for me. It keeps saying it can't find the modem when I query it. And should I use mass storage mode or not? I've tried both ways with no luck

Make sure you are running DM when you try to connect.

12-01-09 10:39 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD