I have recently started experiencing rapid battery drain on my 9700. If I charge it to 100% and unplug it from the charger when I go to bed, when I wake up its on critical battery (no bars left). During the day it lasts from morning to about 4pm.

I first tried a security wipe to get rid of all my apps. No luck.

I then updated my OS to the latest version (.545) and I'm still having the same problem.

I have no apps running, apart from the default five. I only get about 10 emails a day and make 1 or 2 calls.

So, is it the battery or the phone itself?

Any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by Solja; 03-29-10 at 05:53 PM.
    03-29-10 05:26 PM
    You say no apps are running... there has to be at least 5 apps that are running in the background... they are part of the OS... they are Browser, Messenger, Messages, Home, and Phone... if you hold down the Menu button for a couple seconds, then scroll left and right to see all apps.

Another thing I'd recommend is to use the Auto On/Off... you can find it by going to Options, then Auto On/Off... enable both and set them for when you go to sleep.
    03-29-10 05:43 PM
    Have the battery exchanged . This is not normal .
    03-29-10 05:51 PM
    Sorry, what I meant by no apps running, I meant to say no 3rd party apps running, apart from the default five.

I've edited my original post.

The auto on/off feature would be useful, but I would still have this unusual rapid battery loss.
    03-29-10 05:52 PM
    So you have no 3rd party apps on the device and its still doing this? Unlikely, but possible that you have a bad battery...did you let the battery drain all the way down ever? That can damage it...I would try to test another batt on it if possible or if you are comfortable use a utility to wipe the device from your pc and reload the OS...don't do it unless you are comfortable with the process...very easy though...just read

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 05:53 PM
    Exchange the battery IMO, do you notice if it gets hot while charging?
    03-29-10 05:54 PM
    Sorry, what I meant by no apps running, I meant to say no 3rd party apps running, apart from the default five.

I've edited my original post.

The auto on/off feature would be useful, but I would still have this unusual rapid battery loss.
    First.... if you device is Off, you will not have battery drain... it's Off!!!

Second, if things are the way you say and nothing is running... sounds like a bad battery... I'd get a new one.
    03-29-10 05:56 PM
    Sounds like the battery is a dud. Exchange it....

03-29-10 05:56 PM
    Agree with the others here, sounds like a bad battery.

03-29-10 11:05 PM
    Get a new battery. I have to say the battery life on my 9700 is insanely long!
    03-29-10 11:37 PM
    Bad battery strange, I'm using my bat from my 9000 try dimming ur screen to 10%. and make sure your phone shuts of the screen and keyboard ur time range is normal for a drain if everything is always on check ur settings again also 3g takes down bat life faster change that if all fails then ur battery is defective.

03-30-10 08:26 AM
    You say no apps are running... there has to be at least 5 apps that are running in the background... they are part of the OS... they are Browser, Messenger, Messages, Home, and Phone... if you hold down the Menu button for a couple seconds, then scroll left and right to see all apps.

Another thing I'd recommend is to use the Auto On/Off... you can find it by going to Options, then Auto On/Off... enable both and set them for when you go to sleep.
    Some do not wish to turn their phone off. Mine runs 24/7/365
    03-30-10 08:33 AM
    Bad battery strange, I'm using my bat from my 9000 try dimming ur screen to 10%. and make sure your phone shuts of the screen and keyboard ur time range is normal for a drain if everything is always on check ur settings again also 3g takes down bat life faster change that if all fails then ur battery is defective.

I have my backlight at 70%, but this does not matter. The battery life was perfect up until a few days ago.
    03-30-10 09:08 AM
    I had the exact same problem. My 9700 ran fine for a couple of weeks & then came the rapid battery drain. I had google sync, google maps, facebook, opera mini, uber Twitter, msn & gtalk installed. But I am sure none ran in background.

I removed all apps, still the battery drain persisted.

I finally reinstalled the stock 351 os & battery is fine now. I get 4 to 5 days of battery life now.
    03-30-10 09:54 AM
    To revert back to the previous OS, did you use that dos program to wipe the os from the device?
    03-30-10 10:14 AM
    Is anyone else experiencing battery drain and also using OS ver. .545?
    03-30-10 10:16 AM
    I have the same exact problem.. with 545 and up... I'll try to revert back to an older OS later tonight.
    03-30-10 02:51 PM
    I have the same problem, my battery is almost dead within 10 hours. I've tried a battery replacement already, same thing. Even tried batteries from healthy Bold 9700s. I suggest you contact your service provider and get a replacement 9700, because if you're having the same issue as me (which it sounds like), you have a defective device.
    03-30-10 03:03 PM
    Well it's not the battery. I went to have the battery tested and it came back with a 93% health rate.

Sigh, now I have to take the phone in and I'm told it can take up to six weeks to 'repair'. I was also told that my phone may have been part of the bad batch that came into my country.
    04-01-10 06:01 AM
    I have the same exact problem.. with 545 and up... I'll try to revert back to an older OS later tonight.
    My friend also has a bold 9700 and he has also upgraded to the latest OS .545 and his battery life is perfect. If the OS affects the battery life of a particualr device so much, surely it's the device which is defective?
    04-01-10 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD