People have said that if you call up customer service and tell them you're going overseas they can unlock your phone for free.

If you tell them you are going overseas (or just that you want out) and agree to pay the early termination fee (ETF) it is likely that the price of a Bold + 2yr agreement + ETF is less than the retail price of the bold. Especially now that the ETFs are on a pro-rated scale which means that the ETF will decrease by $5 for each paid month you are on contract. The base ETF on at&t is $175 but if you've been on contract for 9 or 10 months your etf is now $125. Selling your blackberry on ebay (even in decent condition) should bring you more than enough to cover your ETF. So the price you pay for a new bold is now the 2yr price instead of paying full retail. $200-$299 vs. $599-$650 (estimates) as long as you don't mind signing back up for a 2yr.

So my question is are there any repercussions to getting out of contract and then signing back up. A likely story like, you were gonna go to europe for business (or study abroad) but plans fell through or something so you need to sign back up for service. Besides losing your current phone number (you'd lose your pin anyways so that's one hassle to begin with) is there any other problems you might run into?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 05:58 PM
    This depends... How long would you be out of contract before signing back up again?
    08-20-08 06:02 PM
    I'm 99.9% sure that pro-rated ETF's for AT&T started for those who started a new 2 year contract anytime after May 25th-ish?
    08-20-08 06:23 PM
    I'm 99.9% sure that pro-rated ETF's for AT&T started for those who started a new 2 year contract anytime after May 25th-ish?
    Not sure about the exact date, but that's correct. If you haven't recently signed a new contract, your ETF will be $175 still. The diff. between the bold retail and contract price may be greater than still, but then you have to factor in activation fees, etc.

I am quite lucky here, my name isn't on the account that I'm using, so I'm going to transfer it to my name, which makes me eligible for a contract price Bold. Now if the damn thing would become available in the US dammit....
    08-20-08 07:52 PM
    Why wouldn't it apply to current customers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 09:28 PM
    As long as you don't mind losing your phone number, I think you wouldn't have any problem canceling and then signing back up. Even if you port out and then back in, your old account will just be reactivated and you will be right back where you started. Pretty short-sighted just to save a little bit of money.
    08-21-08 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD