anyone engraved their name on the blackberry to prevent theft?
    09-04-08 02:03 PM
    Soon as the bold becomes more in the know. Those people willing to steal will just get a new cover for it....

Either way with the ESN reported, the device will be blocked from activation.
    09-04-08 02:05 PM
    anyone engraved their name on the blackberry to prevent theft?
    Well, it wouldn't actually prevent theft, would it?

If someone is going to grab you phone, I can't really see them checking to see if has been engraved first!

... and as the previous poster said, as soon as the theft was reported it could be disabled, so as to be not much practical use to anyone.

Surely insurance is a better bet, so at least you can then buy yourself a new one!
    09-04-08 03:34 PM
    Engraving won't deter theft. Thieves are way too brazen and impenitent to care about engraving.
    09-04-08 03:39 PM
    You'd have a better chance of deterring thief or getting your device back using a stick from StuffBak.
    09-04-08 03:46 PM
    You'd have a better chance of deterring thief or getting your device back using a stick from StuffBak.

arent those just stickers?
    09-04-08 03:51 PM
    yes. they are just stickers. The thief just ignore the stupid stickers anyway.
    09-04-08 03:53 PM
    Yes. They have a special adhesive that makes them difficult to remove. My point is that the sticker would be a more visible warning than an engraving.
    09-04-08 04:13 PM
    Yes. They have a special adhesive that makes them difficult to remove. My point is that the sticker would be a more visible warning than an engraving.

oh i see....
    09-04-08 05:37 PM
    Hi all,

Well i have employed my own unique and fool roof protection and retrieval service which is now in it's 5th incarnation and has never failed me in the last 20 years odd of owning phones and I've never lost one yet. Here is clip of my current set up.

Otis Manwork testing

So if you fancy making his day your welcome to try and steal my Bold but running won't help you either it will just make him even more excited.

Marc
    09-04-08 05:52 PM
    Hi all,

Well i have employed my own unique and fool roof protection and retrieval service which is now in it's 5th incarnation and has never failed me in the last 20 years odd of owning phones and I've never lost one yet. Here is clip of my current set up.

Otis Manwork testing

So if you fancy making his day your welcome to try and steal my Bold but running won't help you either it will just make him even more excited.

Marc

and do they sell this kind of thing with the bold as an optional accessory?
    09-04-08 05:56 PM
    lol if someone is going to jack it they will...regardless of what type of engraving is on it
    09-04-08 07:11 PM
    Well, it wouldn't actually prevent theft, would it?

If someone is going to grab you phone, I can't really see them checking to see if has been engraved first!

... and as the previous poster said, as soon as the theft was reported it could be disabled, so as to be not much practical use to anyone.

Surely insurance is a better bet, so at least you can then buy yourself a new one!
    DAMN THIS IS JOHN PETERSONS PHONE! okay fine you can keep it. Thats a shame that was a $600 phone.
    09-04-08 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD