So you are assuming that Blackberry is already in the grave. If the app is already there it is NOT a welfare, I cannot see it costing much, not for Zuckerberg!
    It is welfare if the purpose is to help BB10 and not FB. I'm a shareholder in both companies, and I expect FB to do what is best for FB and BB to do what is best for BB.

WA has made the decision that the cost of maintaining their BB10 app is just too high because there are too few users. They've also indicated they have new features coming they they can't or won't add to the BB10 app. That's their decision.

They shouldn't keep the app going out of pity. It doesn't matter how much money FB has. What matters is whether it is wise to spend any further money on a BB10 app that very few people use.
    07-25-16 11:02 PM
    The Japanese sure do not think your way! If they did then Subaru would have been dead 20 years ago!
    If the Canadian government and Canadian taxpayers want to save BlackBerry, then that's their choice. I have nothing to say about that.

But FB has no business in that. That's up to the Canadian government and voters.
    07-25-16 11:09 PM
    It is welfare if the purpose is to help BB10 and not FB. I'm a shareholder in both companies, and I expect FB to do what is best for FB and BB to do what is best for BB.

WA has made the decision that the cost of maintaining their BB10 app is just too high because there are too few users. They've also indicated they have new features coming they they can't or won't add to the BB10 app. That's their decision.

They shouldn't keep the app going out of pity. It doesn't matter how much money FB has. What matters is whether it is wise to spend any further money on a BB10 app that very few people use.
    It is not welfare if they can can turn a profit, so this is where I disagree because I think they can, or have the potential
    07-25-16 11:09 PM
    Facebook/WhatsApp is publicly traded so there is an obligation to shareholders just like Blackberry dumping BB10. If you guys think all these ideas are profitable, why don't you buy certain blackberry assets then get it done? Even after paying off your backers, you'd be rich...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-25-16 11:59 PM
    It is not welfare if they can can turn a profit, so this is where I disagree because I think they can, or have the potential
    Do you mean you think WA can make a profit from supporting their BB10 app?

Think about it. The people at FB/WA have access to the data. They know exactly how much it would cost to maintain the app. They know exactly what new features are on their roadmap. They know exactly how many people are using the BB10 app.
    07-26-16 12:01 AM

Think about it. The people at FB/WA have access to the data. They know exactly how much it would cost to maintain the app. They know exactly what new features are on their roadmap. They know exactly how many people are using the BB10 app.
    Stop. I want to see them propose a buyout of certain blackberry assets..comments like that will scare them off.

07-26-16 12:04 AM

I don't use BB10 buddy.

What is there to maintain? OS7 hasn't had an update in years, 12 million people still use it. You don't understand my POV. And I don't know why you want to keep going in circles with me. It's going nowhere fast.
    07-26-16 12:06 AM
    I don't use BB10 buddy.

What is there to maintain? OS7 hasn't had an update in years, 12 million people still use it. You don't understand my POV. And I don't know why you want to keep going in circles with me. It's going nowhere fast.
    Wait....you want them keeping Facebook app for OS7???

07-26-16 12:10 AM
    The carriers are shutting BIS down every chance they get. They don't like giving that revenue to blackberry every month and having to support a separate infrastructure.

07-26-16 12:13 AM
    Wait....you want them keeping Facebook app for OS7???

My Facebook app works beautifully for OS7, I reinstalled it a few months ago. My OS6 still works beautifully
    07-26-16 12:13 AM
    The carriers are shutting BIS down every chance they get.
    NOT here in Canada
    07-26-16 12:14 AM
    My Facebook app works beautifully for OS7, I reinstalled it a few months ago. My OS6 still works beautifully
    But how beautiful will it be without BIS? Serious question now.

07-26-16 12:15 AM
    NOT here in Canada
    Eventually it will happen. 12-18 months

07-26-16 12:16 AM
    I don't use BB10 buddy.
    Sorry, I forgot we were talking about BB7. All the same reasoning applies (few users) plus you have the issue that the BB7 APIs are horrendous by modern standards. It's very probable that WA cannot implement new features properly on BB7 at any cost.
    07-26-16 12:16 AM

Maybe you don't know how patriotic our new Prime Minister is
    07-26-16 12:17 AM
    Sorry, I forgot we were talking about BB7. All the same reasoning applies (few users) plus you have the issue that the BB7 APIs are horrendous by modern standards. It's very probable that WA cannot implement new features properly on BB7 at any cost.
    News flash, there are 12 million Legacy users in the world, this is supposedly more that all the others combined for Blackberry.

Mine works just fine and with greater speed than my 2 year old iPhone 5C.

For what I need it for, it still rules.
    07-26-16 12:22 AM
    So how about you stick to what YOU like and I'll stick to what I know works for me, thanks.
    07-26-16 12:22 AM
    So how about you stick to what YOU like and I'll stick to what I know works for me, thanks.
    No harm in that at all! Likewise, WA will stick to the platforms which work best for them.

Cheers.
    07-26-16 12:29 AM

Well I'll be happy if I can get another year with the 9900, I'll have to deal with it when it happens *insert sad frowny face*
    07-26-16 12:56 AM

Gotta agree (as much as I despise Facebook and hunger for the opportunity to slap that smirk right of Zuckerberg's face); and further, since Facebook is a publicly-held company, Facebook's directors have a fiduciary responsibility to do what they feel is best for Facebook.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-26-16 07:08 AM
    Maybe; maybe not. BIS was supposed to have been shut down in 2013. Currently, it's free on AT&T.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-26-16 07:14 AM
    So you are assuming that Blackberry is already in the grave. If the app is already there it is NOT a welfare, I cannot see it costing much, not for Zuckerberg!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Just because you don't see it costing much doesn't mean it doesn't.

Facebook has already done the math. It's not worth it to them - not enough of an ROI.

Facebook's job is to make Facebook profitable and successful, not BlackBerry.

These "looking for a handout" complaints only strengthen the fact that BlackBerry failed.
    07-26-16 07:50 AM
    I don't use BB10 buddy.

There's a lot to maintain. For instance, compatibility with whatever backend or internal API changes WhatsApp makes.

Just because BBOS hasn't changed doesn't mean that WhatsApp is standing still.

Then there's security audits/patches, code maintenance, QA & testing for changes.

Keeping people around for the % of BBOS users actively using WhatsApp may not make any profitable sense.
    07-26-16 07:56 AM
    There's a lot to maintain. For instance, compatibility with whatever backend or internal API changes WhatsApp makes.

Just because BBOS hasn't changed doesn't mean that WhatsApp is standing still.

Then there's security audits/patches, code maintenance, QA & testing for changes.

Keeping people around for the % of BBOS users actively using WhatsApp may not make any profitable sense.
    Chump change for Marky boy! And don't forget that 6 years ago when something like over 70% of global cellular sales were Blackberries, Blackberry helped to make Facebook popular and put it on the map!

So no, I don't believe he HAS to kill it, its nothing for him.

07-26-16 10:46 AM
    Just because you don't see it costing much doesn't mean it doesn't.

Facebook has already done the math. It's not worth it to them - not enough of an ROI.

Facebook's job is to make Facebook profitable and successful, not BlackBerry.

These "looking for a handout" complaints only strengthen the fact that BlackBerry failed.
    And BTW, when Sony was near bust, the Japanese government is not in the habit of bailing them out, the companies re-invest in themselves, and it has worked so far.

Another person who is under the assumption that Blackberry is in the grave and they ARE NOT! Even if they do not have handsets they are surviving with the software end of it. Remember Atari? Everyone thinks they went bankrupt but they have been in the software buisness and just again re-released the 2600 gaming system to compete with Nintendo re-releasing their old system.

So my point is NEVER say NEVER! There is always the chance of a comeback with any company.

07-26-16 10:56 AM
65 123