Chump change for Marky boy! And don't forget that 6 years ago when something like over 70% of global cellular sales were Blackberries, Blackberry helped to make Facebook popular and put it on the map!

So no, I don't believe he HAS to kill it, its nothing for him.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry was never 70% of cellular sales. And I would posit that Apple & Android did way more than BlackBerry for Facebook.

There's a reason Facebook directly develops full-access apps for those platform.

Meanwhile, BlackBerry has to develop its own third-party app just to stay relevant and say it has Facebook access.

Your beliefs are fair. Doesn't mean that Facebook agrees or wants to be a charity to BlackBerry.
    07-26-16 11:01 AM
    Just because you don't see it costing much doesn't mean it doesn't.

Facebook has already done the math. It's not worth it.
    Then how do you know it does? No, Zuckerberg did the "math" and doesn't give a crap if it helps to destroy a company like Blackberry.

Take a look at how many people in the "will you buy another Blackberry" thread alone are saying "no I will never buy another Blackberry because I depend on Whatsapp everyday! Whatsapp isn't even cancelled yet for Blackberry and just the damage to the company alone from what was announced has massive fallout for Blackberry!

So no, he doesn't give a crap.

07-26-16 11:04 AM
    And BTW, when Sony was near bust, the Japanese government is not in the habit of bailing them out, the companies re-invest in themselves, and it has worked so far.

Another person who is under the assumption that Blackberry is in the grave and they ARE NOT! Even if they do not have handsets they are surviving with the software end of it. Remember Atari? Everyone thinks they went bankrupt but they have been in the software buisness and just again re-released the 2600 gaming system to compete with Nintendo re-releasing their old system.

So my point is NEVER say NEVER! There is always the chance of a comeback with any company.

I'm not under the assumption that BlackBerry is in the grave. I'm under the assumption that the BB10 device business has no future.

I agree with your points. Especially about failing companies needing to restructure and pivot towards success.

All I'm saying is that there's no good reason to expect successful companies to become charities in support of BlackBerry's failing business (BB10 devices).
    07-26-16 11:05 AM
    Then how do you know it does? No, Zuckerberg did the "math" and doesn't give a crap if it helps to destroy a company like Blackberry.

Take a look at how many people in the "will you buy another Blackberry" thread alone are saying "no I will never buy another Blackberry because I depend on Whatsapp everyday! Whatsapp isn't even cancelled yet for Blackberry and just the damage to the company alone from what was announced has massive fallout for Blackberry!

So no, he doesn't give a crap.

I know enough because I've been working in this industry for a few decades.

And you're probably right, Zuckerberg probably doesn't give a crap (or two). It's not his job to. He has to worry about Facebook. That's it. The rest adds no value to his shareholders so it isn't relevant.

WhatsApp didn't kill BB10. BlackBerry did. BlackBerry failed to create a compelling and competitive product.

If people aren't willing to buy another BlackBerry because it doesn't do what they need/want, that's a problem with the PRODUCT.

Heck, BlackBerry could've been the de facto messaging app instead of WhatsApp. But myopic decisions on management's part (pre-Chen, so don't go blaming him) killed that opportunity.

TL;DR - Facebook, still not a charity.
    07-26-16 11:12 AM
    Like I said to the other person in here last night, I do not consider it a "charity" if the app is already developed and running. It costs a lot more to start up and create it than simply to maintain once it already exists.

07-26-16 11:23 AM
    Like I said to the other person in here last night, I do not consider it a "charity" if the app is already developed and running. It costs a lot more to start up and create it than simply to maintain once it already exists.

Doesn't matter how much less it costs. If Facebook as the maintainer doesn't see a worthwhile ROI then it's not worth maintaining.

In this case the only one that benefits from Facebook's continued maintenance (and associated costs) is BlackBerry.

Subsuming the costs for another entity's benefit is the very definition of charity.
    07-26-16 01:46 PM

But WA doesn't owe anybody the app on every OS. It will still cost them money to maintain for a shrinking userbase. They've run the numbers for a number of outdated, underused and insignificant OS's and figure that enough cheap solutions exist with a variety of inexpensive $40 Android phones to move forward. How many OS varieties have gone bellyup in the last 15 years? Time (and ecosystems) move onwards.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 01:48 PM
    Whatsapp makes 700 million annually, so this is not a charity, so call it what you want.

Repeat: he can keep it open if he wanted to.

The expenses are MINIMAL to keep this app running.

Shall we dance more?

07-26-16 01:52 PM
    how long before you start calling Blackberry a "charity" then?

I'll mark my calender.

07-26-16 01:55 PM
    Whatsapp makes 700 million annually, so this is not a charity, so call it what you want.

Repeat: he can keep it open if he wanted to.

The expenses are MINIMAL to keep this app running.

Shall we dance more?

But what for what business reason should he support any of the failed or dated OS's? They've run numbers on cost to support all the dated, small OS's. It will benefit shareholders economically to shut all the variants down by MAXIMIZING profits.

07-26-16 01:59 PM
    how long before you start calling Blackberry a "charity" then?

I'll mark my calender.

I believe the move to Android means that Blackberry the company is not a charity. If hardware doesn't produce level of positive cash flow and profits, the exit from hardware will show the company is not a charity.

07-26-16 02:02 PM
    But what for what business reason should he support any of the failed or dated OS's? They've run numbers on cost to support all the dated, small OS's. It will benefit shareholders economically to shut all the variants down by MAXIMIZING profits.

Stop assuming Blackberry has failed. You have already made up YOUR mind about the company and we all have our own perceptions about survival and profits, etc!

What you call charity, I call potential for the future!

07-26-16 02:04 PM
    Stop assuming Blackberry has failed. You have already made up YOUR mind about the company and we all have our own perceptions about survival and profits, etc!

What you call charity, I call potential for the future!

I don't think Blackberry The Company has failed. The jury is still out regarding Blackberry Android Hardware regarding it's prognosis. The Blackberry OS's are on their way like all of us towards an eventual death. The statement from management is with Android Nougat, the phones will meet highest security required standards. That would make BB10 and predecessor OS's basically obsolete.

07-26-16 02:13 PM
    If we use the Android version, does this mean we won't get hub notifications? Do we get any notifications, even if not hub?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 09:14 PM
    If we use the Android version, does this mean we won't get hub notifications? Do we get any notifications, even if not hub?

Posted via CB10
    No one really knows what's going to happen with Android version after 12/31/2016. Someone else previously stated that since the BB10 version is native and is still being updated and maintained until 12/31/2016, why not continue to use it until then? You could be wasting your time with Android version sideloaded that could be just as dead as BB10 version on 01/01/2017.

07-26-16 09:21 PM
65 123