I know there's numerous threads on this (I searched) but I am asking specifically about the Bold. When I lock my phone it gives an option for Emergency Call. I haven't ever tried this but when I press it it says Are you sure you want to make an emergency call? If I press Yes, what does it do? Does my Bold send out a GPS signal to the dispatch center or something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 07:16 PM
    it makes an emergency call to 911 and the closest PSAP will pick up the call. are you seriously asking this??? what did u think it would do?? our PSAP has a a mapping feature that shows the phone number, cell tower address, coordinates etc. do not go making emergency calls if you dont have an emergency just to see what it does please.
    05-30-09 07:39 PM
    Wow that's kinda crazy! The iPhone lets you dial the number you want to call in case of an emergency; although, I think it goes on your phone record under EMERGENCY CALLS(that's my theory).
    05-30-09 07:44 PM
    depending on the network/country you are in, it will be dialling 911 or 112....or some of the other emergency numbers that other countries use. however, the phone will just display "Emergency Call".

phones can make emergecy calls if they are key-locked, SIM removed or in or even if the phone isnt associated to an account and "active".
    05-30-09 07:57 PM
    If I press Yes, what does it do? Does my Bold send out a GPS signal to the dispatch center or something?

It will call your mom of course. Who better to call in an emergency
    05-30-09 08:21 PM
    thanks for the answers.

05-30-09 08:44 PM
    It will call 911. And then when your pocket or purse also inadvertently hangs up the call, 911 will call back and ask you to call them back on the non-emergency, if it's not an emergency, to verify that you are, indeed, still alive. Whoops.
    05-30-09 08:58 PM
    My bf has his pearl in his pocket all day at work, there have been a few times he rang 911. They love to get calls where no one answers then they call him back and... Well they get really pissed!

05-30-09 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD