Several weeks ago, I noticed that an email I had read while at a red light had disappeared when I parked and was going to reply to it. I thought that was strange and decided to pay particular attention to my emails. I also decided to do a soft reset of my BBerry Bold every couple of days in case it was a memory leak that caused the problem

It happened again about a week later. The first time, I wasn't 100% sure about it ... but this time I was! I had opened up one of my email addresses (I use BIS to receive emails from 3 different accounts), then closed that particular message folder after scanning the new emails. When I opened up that email folder later, one of the emails I had read was definitely gone. (FYI, the machine I use to receive emails at work is shut down when I leave the office...)

I called Rogers about it and the TSR who answered said he had never heard anything about this particular issue. He said that, if it happened again, I should call them up and they would walk me through re-installing the firmware on the Bold.

Anyone here heard of a similar issue? And how do I get rid of it???

Thanks very much,

John
    04-02-09 04:55 AM
    Check your file free memory. Menu - Options - Status - File Free

If it lower than 12mb, the device might delete emails / call logs / sms etc... Delete some unwanted apps / themes / emails to free up some memory ...
    04-02-09 05:43 AM
    Thanks ST.

File Free is 12,649,544 bytes. After a soft reset, File Free is 18,701,004 bytes... Last reset was a couple of days ago...

Re your comment "Delete some unwanted apps / themes / emails to free up some memory":

1. No unwanted apps. In fact, I hardly use any other than Email, MaxMobile CRM and a couple others. FYI, when I use GMAIL, Google Mpas or the mapping function, I close them down after..

2. No themes other than a picture as background.

3. I do have hundreds of e-mails (30 days worth). Sounds like I should drop that down to 10 or 15 days. I'll try that and see if it helps increase File Free.

Thanks very much,

John
    04-05-09 09:22 AM
    What OS are you on? Menu - Options - ABOUT. I have lots of apps installed, 3-4 themes and I use 4 different email accounts on my bold. I'm on OS .247 and my free memory will be 48MB after a battery pull and settles between 38-42 after a couple of days usage.

If you have serious memory leaks, I would suggest an upgrade. But if you are happy with the current OS stay on it..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 09:35 AM
    I'm running 4.6.0.162.

I took a look at the Rogers web site and they have 4.6.0.292 available for download. So they will support me if I upgrade to that version...

Are there any disadvantages to upgrading OS? I must admit that "free memory will be 48MB" is awfully enticing...

Thanks again,

John
    04-05-09 09:57 AM
    John, you are looking at the wrong number. You should be looking for the APPLICATION VERSION, not the package version. The latest os is 4.6.0.247. There is nothing wrong in upgrading the os. You can install any bold os of your choice and just remember to delete the vendor.xml file. I personally recommend .247. You will see a significant improvement (from .162 - roger's stock os version) in battery life, memory management and a slightly faster os.

Do some research before upgrading if you haven't upgraded the os before..

04-05-09 10:18 AM
    My Options > About says:

BlackBerry 9000
    v. 4.6.0.162 (Platform 4.0.0.155)
    Cryptoghaphic Kernel ...
    Branding Version ...
    Micro Edition Configuration ... (there are a lot of these!)

So I am not sure what you mean by Application Version vs Package Version...

Two questions:

1. Can you suggest where I can find some info on upgrading OS?
    2. Is there a comparison of functionalities between various OS's somewhere?

Thanks very much for all your help!

John
    04-05-09 10:29 AM
    4.6.0.162 is the application / os version.

Q1. There is a link in my signature on "how to upgrade os on your bb". But I don't think you could see the links as I'm posting from the wap forum now. Never mind, checkout the Blackberry 101 lecture series. It is a list of tutorials in the newbie section of crackberry.
    Q2. Not sure about it. But you may find some comparisons in the OS BETA DISCUSSION FORUM.

04-05-09 10:38 AM
    Thanks very much ST ... again!

I will review the links you provided and may take some time this coming weekend to upgrade the OS.

Regards,

John
    04-06-09 11:55 AM
    No problems.. You are welcome ...

04-06-09 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD