Setup:
    BB 9900, OS 7.1.0.1098
    TMobile, NYC area (using BIS - "berry" icon visible and Diagnostic shows a BIS server)

Problem:
    Can send and receive email for all accounts, so-so Web access using BB Browser

However for a couple of months now, I have NOT been able to access Email Settings. Go to "Setup", click "Email Accounts" icon and get the famous "Your device encountered a problem with this application's server." error message

Therefore I cannot update email passwords, add/remove email accounts, or request resend Service Books.

Remedies tried:
    1) Battery pulls
    2) Refresh Host Routing Table
    3) Ran Mobile Network Diagnostics Test
    5) TMobile's BB tech ran diagnostics, was able to resend Service Books and to delete an email account but there was no provision for adding a new one.
    6) Many, many hours trying every remedy I could find all over the Web.

I know her days are numbered. Almost no third party apps are still supported and even OS 7 is dead to RIM. Could the problem be communication issue between TMobile and RIM server? Perhaps the RIM server is being phased out? (Blackberry Protect works but is often fussy.)

However, I love this phone and the 9900's form factor and main functions all work well for me.

This is a real logjam - I'm security conscious so I change passwords regularly, and I need to add a new email account. Any suggestions would be most welcome... TIA
    Last edited by Rueberry; 01-23-20 at 03:03 PM.
    01-21-20 08:02 PM
    BB9900 TMOBILE 7.1 bundle 2508 (v7.1.0.912)
    Southern Nevada

Having the exact same problem.

Can not add (or edit) email accounts.

Setup —> email accounts (w/green check mark)—> “checking for updates” —> “connecting to email settings...” —> “your device encountered a problem with this application’s server.”

Have tried with wifi on/off.
    Have tried with 3G/4G & 2G under mobile network.
    Have tried with 2G under mobile network.
    Have tried with mobile network off, data services On.

Nada!

I have multiple 9900’s as backup units and have thought of doing a “device switch” via blackberry desktop but worry I might lose access to all my active email addresses.

Any help would be beyond helpful.
    Thank you in advance.

Long live the BOLD 9900
    01-27-20 11:56 PM
    BB9900 TMOBILE 7.1 bundle 2508 (v7.1.0.912)
    Southern Nevada

Having the exact same problem.

Can not add (or edit) email accounts.

Setup —> email accounts (w/green check mark)—> “checking for updates” —> “connecting to email settings...” —> “your device encountered a problem with this application’s server.”

Have tried with wifi on/off.
    Have tried with 3G/4G & 2G under mobile network.
    Have tried with 2G under mobile network.
    Have tried with mobile network off, data services On.

Nada!

I have multiple 9900’s as backup units and have thought of doing a “device switch” via blackberry desktop but worry I might lose access to all my active email addresses.

Any help would be beyond helpful.
    Thank you in advance.

Long live the BOLD 9900
    What does T-Mobile support have to say about the issue?
    01-28-20 09:17 AM
    @walle7388, it's really puzzling. It can't be a purely TMo issue, because I (and I presume you) have tried with Mobile Network turned off and using only my home WiFi network (on Optimum). Blackberry Protect, Blackberry World, other RIM related functions work on TMo or WiFi.

It's even more painful for you because you have several perfectly usable 9900s and if you want to device switch, I agree you'll lose you email access if the same behavior occurs on another device - and I suspect it will.

I've been going over and over it, even thinking did I inadvertently delete or change something crucial trying to solve a minor problem, causing this mission-critical one myself?

I posted my interaction with TMobile, but Chuck Finley69 was asking what TMo said to you. Honestly, even the very savvy Blackberry tech I dealt with at TMobile couldn't find the problem.

Blackberry is more likely to have a solution, but A) OS7 and Bolds are no longer supported and B) Out of warranty, we'll be charged for support (which may not restore the email function).

If I find the answer, I'll be sure to post it here for you, and please do the same. Man, this one seems to be beyond everyone's abilities.
    Step back boys, you're about to see a grown man cry!

Email working fine, but cannot access email settings-headdesk.jpg
    02-10-20 07:52 AM
    Update 2/11/2020 - Well I don't know about Nevada, but another TMo Blackberry tech here in NY gently broke the news that he tried everything available to him. My BB's days are over I guess. >>sob<<

A real keyboard is a must for me, so my options are already very limited but I'll have to gird my loins and begin the hunt for a new phone.

Hope you have better luck, walle7388. If not, you can join me in going on a virtual bender.
    02-11-20 02:41 PM
    No clue about TMo but no problem at all on ATT. My company has migrated a couple dozen 99s to ATT and set up all emails with no problem I've heard of. They're all on 7.1.0.1098.

Just added another pop to this ATT99... Works fine... On ATT. Fwiw.
    02-16-20 02:32 PM
    Not all carriers have maintained their BIS console.
    02-16-20 04:14 PM
    No clue about TMo but no problem at all on ATT. My company has migrated a couple dozen 99s to ATT and set up all emails with no problem I've heard of. They're all on 7.1.0.1098.

Just added another pop to this ATT99... Works fine... On ATT. Fwiw.
    Thanks for the info, idssteve - what state are you in? I'm in NYC, but geography doesn't seem to be the snag.

Around here, TMo still supports BIS and I was accessing the email settings without issues until recently. BB World, BB Protect, send/receive email (using 3 different providers), tethering with Mobile Hotspot - are all working just fine. The BB techs I spoke to had no other reports of this settings issue.

Even online, it seems only walle7388 and I have this problem and we're in different states. WTH could be wrong!?

I had ATT back in the day, and I'm not keen on dealing with them again. It's also pretty extreme to leave a carrier I'm happy with, in order to extend the usability of a device and an OS which probably won't be supported at all for too much longer.

I had planned to stick with my beloved 9900 until 5G service and phones were ready for primetime. I guess my only option is to avoid changing email passwords. Ugh!

This is almost as sad as the demise of Palm OS. Heck, I even have my Timex DataLink watch around somewhere. I guess I'm an awful Luddite. LOL!

Well, thanks to you and conite for chiming in anyway!
    02-22-20 10:38 AM
    Same issue I had with my BlackBerry Bold 9900 under T-MOBILE unlimited plan, biss-berry did work but had a hard time accessing the email settings icon. However I was able to add accounts from the "hub" if I'm not mistaken.
    I might be wrong. I could also never get Facebook or Twitter to work on it, shame because I remember how flawless it was back in the day when I had a curve. Main thing was the BlackBerry Bold would begin to freeze a lot on basic stuff like texting or loading an email would cause the hub to freeze and forced me to remove battery. Music player too. I had to let it go and bench it. Music player sounded pretty stiff maybe I had a defective device.

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    02-28-20 03:31 PM
    AT&T, VZW and Sprint used BlackBerry console while T-Mobile used a proprietary console. That was ten years ago if that matters.
    02-28-20 05:30 PM