Hey all,

I am from Australia and new to the forum, just as i am new to the blackberry, i only got the bold about a week ago. Now i've just got one question, i have an email that i have put on my bold. It is a work email on POP3, at work i generally check it on my PC via Outlook. When someone sends an email when im out, it usually takes about 15 minutes before i actually receive the email on my device.

The question is, is this normal? I always understood blackberry email to me instant with little to no delay. Am i wrong in this?

Thanks for your help!
    08-17-09 09:28 PM
    Unfortunately for POP3 15 minutes is normal. BIS will only check every 15 minutes for new mail. With IMAP it will be instant.

The difference is with POP3 the client (in this case BIS) has to check the mailbox at a set period. IMAP this isn't needed.

It works something like this:
    POP3
    BIS: Excuse me sir, you got any email for me?
    POP: Nope
    BIS: Ok thank you, I'll check back in 15 minutes

IMAP

IMAP: HEY BIS, YOU GOT MAIL!
    Last edited by Shao128; 08-17-09 at 09:33 PM.
    08-17-09 09:31 PM
    Wow, what a quick response! Thank you very much Shao128!
    08-17-09 09:33 PM
    Sorry guys, another quick question, as you can see i have no idea about stuff like this. This question is out of this arena, but i am wondering, is it possible to change a POP3 email over to an IMAP?
    08-17-09 10:02 PM
    I don't believe so. I know Yahoo and Gmail, which are the two leading e-mail providers and both are IMAP.
    08-18-09 12:20 AM
    Just to specify for instant (or near instant) email on BIS the email provider has to support IMAP IDLE protocal.

My host has IMAP but not IMAP IDLE so although my read items and sent items snyc with the mailbox I still don't get the near instant email that IMAP IDLE would give me.

Check with your host whether or not they support IMAP and IMAP IDLE. If they do support IMAP then you just need to change the account.

Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Gmail and Yahoo mail are instant delivery if that helps you perhaps by forwarding your mail to those accounts.

Another alternative, I understand the carrier's blackberry address is supposed to be instant as well (although this didn't work for me) so you could forward your emails to that and that should get them to you quicker.
    08-18-09 10:06 AM
    Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Gmail and Yahoo mail are instant delivery if that helps you perhaps by forwarding your mail to those accounts.
    It's my understanding that Hotmail is NOT instant. Yahoo and Gmail are.
    I don't use hotmail personally, but from reading the forums, that's what hotmail users have complained about.
    08-18-09 11:05 AM
    I have a friend with hotmail and her email is instant. I've sent her an email before and she's been notified of it almost before I've managed to put my BB down.

My girlfriend has a live.co.uk address (also run by Microsoft) and hers is also instant.

Maybe these are exceptions to the rule by that's what I've seen happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD