I understand your frustations too. I'm hoping edof technology has improved since the past and they managed to optimize it nicely. If they could find a workaround for the closeup shot issue in the near future, I could see edofs replacing auto focus in the long run. It is the same analogue --> digital idea we see in everything. Of course this won't happen until we see a significant increase in edof lense technology/quality.

I'm hoping RIM at least used one of the better edof systems. Like you said, I am looking forward to giving it a test in the camera dept. upon release.

Fortunately, there are two things the 9900 camera has over the PlayBooks.

1. Flash
    2. Close-Up mode

We can only benefit from these. The PlayBook takes great pictures and captures excellent video. The main concern is closeup shots/clarity. I hope we can be somewhat impressed in this area.
    I so hope you are right about the improved EDOF and if it works and there is a solution for 4.5mb pdf's I will be on a 9930 with Sprint if it pushes VVM OR on a 9900 via AT&T.

OMG I hope you are right about this.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-08-11 04:31 PM
    Its a big issue in nokia e7, and I have owned e7 for about a month. Torch 1 beat it any day.
    Does this edof choice comes out of technical/thickness limitation or does it have something to do with the kodak patent ??
    08-08-11 05:51 PM
    Handheld photo taken with my Playbook. Looks better on my PC. I had to reduce the file size to upload it. The print in this "guide" is about 75% the size of standard text on a legal document. You should be able to zoom in on the image.
    that is pretty ****ty really, its very hard to read
    08-08-11 05:54 PM
    So are there any of the new blackberry phones that do have an autofocus camera?

In particular, I'm interested in the ones that have physical keyboards.
    08-08-11 06:00 PM

Sounds like the Torch 9810 is perfect for you. But it is only GSM at this point and exclusive to AT&T in the states.
    08-08-11 06:05 PM

Well, there's one device that will work for you, Torch 2 9810. Has both those features if I'm not mistaken.
    08-08-11 06:07 PM
    that is pretty ****ty really, its very hard to read
    Really? I can read the image he/she posted perfectly fine. In fact, besides the grainyness to the page, it's pretty clear. Did you make sure to open it at maximum size? It's a huge 1200 x 1771 image. Here is a small cropped, undoctored exerpt from the same image at full size.

08-08-11 06:11 PM
    Really? I can read the image he/she posted perfectly fine. In fact, besides the grainyness to the page, it's pretty clear. Did you make sure to open it at maximum size? It's a huge 1200 x 1771 image. Here is a small cropped, undoctored exerpt from the same image at full size.

at full size i was able to see read it, not at the preview size, my bad
    08-08-11 06:20 PM

A chain is as strong as it's weakest link & the part of the article that mentions Fig 3.2 is indeed able to be read after it's been blown up. However "Figure 3.2" along with the other figures are NOT able to be read.

Would you be able to blow up the "actual figures" mentioned in the document...
    ...I would be interested in how they turn out.
    ...A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

What good is a picture of a document in which only certain parts it can be read?
    ...The figures mentioned in the text you blew up are not the actual figures the document directs you to.
    ...My old 9650 has no problem rendering the figures mentioned in the document ( as in the size of text ).

Attached: print that is more "fine" than the EDOF document taken from my bold 9650
    Last edited by pythons; 08-08-11 at 07:19 PM.
    08-08-11 06:56 PM
    A chain is as strong as it's weakest link & the part of the article that mentions Fig 3.2 is indeed able to be read after it's been blown up. However "Figure 3.2" along with the other figures are NOT able to be read.

Would you be able to blow up the "actual figures" mentioned in the document...
    ...I would be interested in how they turn out.
    ...A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

What good is a picture of a document in which only certain parts it can be read?
    ...The figures mentioned in the text you blew up are not the actual figures the document directs you to.
    ...My old 9650 has no problem rendering the figures mentioned in the document ( as in the size of text ).

Attached: print that is more "fine" than the EDOF document taken from my bold 9650
    I didn't intentionally leave anything out. I only meant to show an exerpt since the the whole image was too large to display. Here is a shot of the figure you listed. It is very difficult to read. But to be fair, it is an image of a screenshot from a computer application and the text is much smaller than your average document unlike the example I posted prior. The image you posted seems to be more comparable to the first exerpt I posted as well and as close to this 3.2 figure image.

Also, I can read everything on this figure including the text on the left even though it is difficult to read.

"directories to search for VST plugins."

08-08-11 07:27 PM
    I have three digital cameras, one is 1MP (Kodak DC240), the other is 4.2 MP (Fujifilm a345) and the newest is 12MP (Olympus x-42) (photos can be grainy at times, if I set it to it's native pixel setting, it's clear and sharp), including my 9700 AND an 8130 that still works. I never complain about no flash due to premature battery loss (the newest of them all really has a habit of doing that) or the sticky lens of the fuji. The DC240 works fine and is very sharp.
    08-08-11 09:32 PM
    I didn't intentionally leave anything out. I only meant to show an exerpt since the the whole image was too large to display. Here is a shot of the figure you listed. It is very difficult to read. But to be fair, it is an image of a screenshot from a computer application and the text is much smaller than your average document unlike the example I posted prior. The image you posted seems to be more comparable to the first exerpt I posted as well and as close to this 3.2 figure image.

Also, I can read everything on this figure including the text on the left even though it is difficult to read.

"directories to search for VST plugins."

Think about it, the O.P. of this thread IS; "EDOF cameras are not so bad" & we have a classic example (ABOVE) of why they are worse than bad for the day to day pictures somone would take in a "business setting".

Not to mention you have to voodoo the picture just to make out what everything in the document is saying. I would say "case closed" - EDOF cameras are not so bad for taking pictures of distance shots but are next to worthless for trying to capture detail as such as notes, documents, etc.

Perhaps there will be a software solution that comes with the 9900 that takes care of this issue - one thing I know for certain, if the picture test fails the test when I test a 9900 I will not be one of the people who buy the phone thinking that perhaps a subsequent "udate' will fix the problem.
    ysss likes this.
    08-08-11 10:34 PM
    The difference between pictures of printed pages taken with a PlayBook and a 9780 is shocking. I really, really hope the camera of the 9900 is not as bad as that, because standing on your chair at the restaurant to take a zoomed in pictures of your plate doesn't sound like fun when wanting to share a pretty food arrangement with friends .
    08-09-11 01:52 PM
    The difference between pictures of printed pages taken with a PlayBook and a 9780 is shocking. I really, really hope the camera of the 9900 is not as bad as that, because standing on your chair at the restaurant to take a zoomed in pictures of your plate doesn't sound like fun when wanting to share a pretty food arrangement with friends .
    Of the people currently operating a 9900 / 9930 only one of them has thus far been brave enough to post some pictures of the sort a business phone needs to be able to shoot - and those examples were horrific to say the least.

Not to mention that articles that cast EDOF in a positive light even suggest using "work arounds" for the failure of EDOF to capture detail in close up images such as using a MAGNIFYING GLASS in conjuntion with your smartphone.

With the several people who are already using the new bold someone by now would have produced an acceptable shot IF THEY COULD - as it stands it's looking like an owner of a 9900 / 9930 simply can't.
    08-09-11 03:00 PM
    Don't forget there is skill involved in snapping pictures

Can't wait to get my hands on one and take some of my own examples.
    08-09-11 03:05 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD