All,

There are always so much confusion out there on how to get fonts for EastAsian languages. I will try to put down what I think I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I also have a question of my own to the forum.

East Asian language support has two sets of fonts:

1. Fonts to VIEW the language (e-mail, web, etc.)
    - called East Asian Characters and Font Support

2. Fonts to TYPE with the language
    - called East Asian Language and Input Support

Thinking about OS upgrade?
    We have to be careful with the language option.

1. Multiple language - No East Asian Languages
    2. EastAsian - Include East Asian Languages, both #1 and #2 from above options.
    3. All languages - This is tricky. I went for TMO 586 and recent TurkCell 656 and found out that they had somewhat limited combination of East Asian languages.
    a. this has #1 from above
    b. Only Chinese, Korean, and Thai input support for #2
    Why? I don't know....Why RIM is limiting out Japanese Input option from what's called "All Languages."
    So be careful when you go and grab "All Languages" OS.
    I personally wanted Japanese Input, so it was a big NO for me as much as I want to upgrade to 656, which people rave about...

My question.
    So, now I have 593 EastAsian installed with both #1 and #2.
    Is there a way to keep those language capabilities and still upgrade to 656?
    I saw some people commenting the idea about this but I wasn't sure what the correct procedure was....
    I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

p.s. my first post....
    05-24-10 12:15 PM
    If you want Japanese input, you need option #3, which is "jEastAsia" or "jAllLanguage". The "j" denotes romaji input support. So far the latest one I've seen is .593.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 01:20 PM
    you might wanna check out this thread....it might help

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/fina...evices-465836/
    05-24-10 01:26 PM
    dLo_GSR,

Thanks for the info. I never came across a file actually named with "j" in front of it, yet...
    I'll closely look into it next time.

kkwus74,
    Thanks for the thread!
    I did download the file and I think I'll try creating a Japanese version of this and I may able to install it with any OS upgrade!
    05-24-10 01:51 PM
    dLo_GSR,

Thanks for the info. I never came across a file actually named with "j" in front of it, yet...
    I'll closely look into it next time.

kkwus74,
    Thanks for the thread!
    I did download the file and I think I'll try creating a Japanese version of this and I may able to install it with any OS upgrade!
    Most of the jEastAsia OS's are from, naturally, Asian carriers. CSL Limited and Vodafone-SmarTone have the latest ones I believe.

You can't enable Japanese input on non-j OS's, period. There's actually a more pertinent and useful thread for East Asian 9700 input here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/gu...bb9700-434380/

The Romaji input has to be built into the OS file, and I don't think anyone has figured out just yet how to extract that specific ability. All the other languages, though, can be added to any OS install via that guide above.
    05-24-10 02:01 PM
    dLo_GSR,

Yes, I'm using the one from CSL Limited.

You said there is not a way to incorporate Japanese input on non-j OS's but from what I understood from your linked thread, aren't they doing just that?
    I may try to create the same zip file with .593 Japanese files and probably test it with 656.
    05-24-10 04:56 PM
    dLo_GSR,

Yes, I'm using the one from CSL Limited.

You said there is not a way to incorporate Japanese input on non-j OS's but from what I understood from your linked thread, aren't they doing just that?
    I may try to create the same zip file with .593 Japanese files and probably test it with 656.
    If you read through the thread, I was the one who tested it, and INPUT still didn't work. I wrote it in there. You can get font support, even switch your OS language to japanese using that method, but you will not get input to work.

Also, if you check the filename of the CSL Limited OS .exe u installed, or the folder for it in the program files folder, you'll see a "j" before EastAsia in the filename, provided you have the correct one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 05-24-10 at 09:53 PM.
    05-24-10 09:50 PM
    Something I noticed too...
    It is all dependent on the radio file in the UMTS folder (I think it's called the SFI file?). It has to be from an EastAsia or AllLanguage with the "j" in the file name (as mentioned before). I opened this file in a text editor once and noticed there is a difference between the non-"j" and "j" ones. The "j" ones specify the exact files needed to enable Japanese input, but the non-"j" ones do not.

I've actually taken the SFI file from the CSL .593 build, and used it with the .656 build. I also had to copy ALL the Japanese input files from .593 and put them in the JAVA folder of .656.

Bam... Japanese input! But, I think it somewhat defeats the purpose of upgrading, because I have to use the older SFI radio file.
    05-25-10 11:55 AM
    dLo_GSR,

I went through all the posts...
    Sorry about the misinterpretation.
    Wow, I wonder why it makes it so hard just for Japanese or it is just hard to incorporate Japanese...
    Windows world doesn't seem to have that line between Japanese and other East Asian languages but...
    We should just hope that "J" version gets constant updates, I guess.

rcw1980,
    That's exactly what I hoped to test...
    Yeah, I guess it defeats the purpose if the files required are all those basic files...

Thank you both for clarifying the mystery.
    I now have much better understanding of this, especially for Japanese language settings.
    06-01-10 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD