I have been trying, unsuccessfully to convert a dvd movie to a Bold 9700 compatible format without success. My Bold is fully up to date and will play small movie files (up to 60mb or so) & mp3's.
    I have tried ripping a dvd to avi then converting it with the following, BB Desktop Manager, DVD Fab 5, Videora BB Converter, and DVDSoft Free Studio all in Windows and also, Acid Rip and Arista Transcoder in Linux.
    I am putting the files onto the 8gb sdcard (which acts as it should in a PC). My feeling is that the files are too large (approx 300mb - 500mb) for the Bold to cope with, is that right,
    and was there better support in OS5?
    Anyone know of a OS6 compatible third party media player with better support for various file types or a conversion process that will definitely work with OS6?
    Thanks
    07-31-11 04:17 PM
    I'm on OS 6 and I was able to watch a full-length 700MB movie on my 9700. Maybe encoding it to MP4. Better yet, record a video on yours, view it on your computer and find out what codecs are used. Then, resize to 320x240 or 480x360 at 256 kb/s.

3GP
    AAC audio

That's from examining a recorded video on mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 08:14 PM
    Anyone know of a OS6 compatible third party media player with better support for various file types or a conversion process that will definitely work with OS6?
    Thanks
    I don't the issue is the BB player... I use
    DVDshrink > VOB
    Win2Avi > avi
    BB desktop manager to device > MP4

However most AVIs I "find" using a client program will play automatically on my BB so I dont bother converting DVDs any more...

occasionally I had to use DIVX converter for stubborn AVIs... check Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource for more info...
    08-03-11 01:23 AM
    I have started using Format Factory which has a huge amount of options to try. I'll post when I find one that works.
    08-04-11 03:02 PM
    I'm on OS 6 and I was able to watch a full-length 700MB movie on my 9700.
    You are very brave.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 03:38 PM
    Well, I tried what seems like a million formats and couldn't get a movie to play, so after reading that there was better compatibility with OS 5, I downgraded my 9700 to OS 5, copied my movie to the card - it played instantly!
    I used DVDFab 5 (DVD to Mobile - Generic H264 aac) worked first time.

I got my Bold 9700 with OS 6 already installed so never used OS 5, however it takes up 50 to 60 mb less space and seems a bit quicker. OS 6 does look a bit nicer but not by much, may be it works better on the larger BB screens, I certainly won't be upgrading to it again.

If anyone is interested in downgrading (I'm sure it is in many posts) here it is anyway.

1. If installed on your PC, delete OS 6 by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.

If you installed the OS via the Desktop Manager or did a wireless upgrade, go to step 2.

2. Download OS 5 from - BlackBerry Operating System Downloads ( BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites ). Select your country and carrier.

3. Install OS 5 to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. When installed go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. Plug in your Bold 9700 and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
    08-05-11 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD