I seem to be experiencing a large number of dropped calls -- maybe two or three a day out of 10-12 calls. I searched this forum, but haven't found a thread specifically about this, just various comments that it's the network, maybe the os version, etc. Was holding back on the most recent os upgrade because it actually looks like it may be worse. Any suggestions / ideas? One thing I noticed is that the drops may coincide with either an SMS or email coming in on my BIS. Could really use a hand on this -- hate using the phone for clients / business stuff these days...
    07-14-09 01:42 PM
    Just tested it, and it looks like it's not incoming email -- just maybe SMS.
    07-14-09 01:47 PM
    I have the same question. i am on .247, and the poor reception and dropped calls are killing me.

If my phone is lying on the table and rings and I immediately pick it up and answer, almost 100% of the time, it will drop the call immediately. I see it go to 1 bar of 3G, then maybe 5 bars Edge or back up to a few bars of 3G.

The reception no matter where I am is terrible.

I want to know the answer to a simple question:

"What version of OS is the absolute best for signal quality?"

At the end of the day it is a phone, and if you can't make a quality phone call, who cares that you can view pictures on the phone quickly...
    07-14-09 05:47 PM
    I may be in the minority here, but our local AT&T service is terrible. From what I understand, there are some network problems causing the dropped calls all over the country, and they are working on it. I have used .167, .185, the new .167 and now .247 and all have had troubles. And it's not the phone, all other 3g phone users complain about it.
    07-14-09 05:59 PM
    Use .282 and set the network to edge

Has to do with the network mode switching
    07-14-09 06:01 PM
    which area are you guys in??? i have a unlock 9000 on att network and running os .247 in san francisco and i'm having zero problems with 3g and edge.. no drop calls or sms

maybe a battery pull??? or switch your mobile network to 2g only for now

p.s. from my research rogers os .282 seem solid
    07-14-09 06:04 PM
    yea get the rogers upgrade .282 havent had a dropped call since been using it for about a week and a half love it
    07-14-09 08:58 PM
    I use 266 in my area and have not had a dropped call for the several weeks that I have been using 266.
    07-15-09 12:39 PM
    .282 is awesome for me on at&t.
    07-15-09 01:12 PM
    I've noticed a huge decrease in dropped calls since I installed .282 - set to EDGE.

I do have one crazy thing going on....my Bold randomly vibrates. Screen stays dark and vibrates twice. No new messages, texts alerts etc. Checked all my phone profiles and they are set to none except for incoming phone calls. Ideas?

Appreciate it guys....
    07-15-09 01:43 PM
    I upgraded from .185 to .282 (Rogers) about a week ago. I never noticed dropped calls from .185 but I get them occasionally now. I tend to go down to only one bar on 3G and then it takes awhile to go to full bars with Edge. I could do the 2G only, but I got a Bold because I love the 3G and being able to transfer data while I am on the phone.
    07-15-09 02:10 PM
    I upgraded from .185 to .282 (Rogers) about a week ago. I never noticed dropped calls from .185 but I get them occasionally now. I tend to go down to only one bar on 3G and then it takes awhile to go to full bars with Edge. I could do the 2G only, but I got a Bold because I love the 3G and being able to transfer data while I am on the phone.
    Do the opposite then, set it to 3g only. It's the transition from edge to 3g that causes a problem.
    07-15-09 02:11 PM
    Do the opposite then, set it to 3g only. It's the transition from edge to 3g that causes a problem.
    That's not an option on mine. Only 3G & 2G and 2G [only].
    07-15-09 02:16 PM
    Use .282 and set the network to edge

Has to do with the network mode switching
    I personally tested this for a week and I dropped more calls being toggled to just 2g on this OS (Edge) then I did when I didn't have the ability to toggle. AT&T just sucks. No OS has made a single bit of difference in the amount of dropped/poor quality calls I have had. Or the fact people call and it never even rings and I just get voicemails.
    07-15-09 02:20 PM
    I am using .282 and the amount of dropped calls has decreased dramatically (only used .167 prior), but it still happens. When you call customer service they are absolutely no help at all.
    07-16-09 08:41 AM
    i also have at&t and im using .247 and i never have had a dropped call. reception in my phone is always good and its always in 3g except when im in my office at work which has a bad reception on any phone or carriers. It might be where u guys located at.
    07-16-09 10:51 AM
    I personally tested this for a week and I dropped more calls being toggled to just 2g on this OS (Edge) then I did when I didn't have the ability to toggle. AT&T just sucks. No OS has made a single bit of difference in the amount of dropped/poor quality calls I have had. Or the fact people call and it never even rings and I just get voicemails.
    Sounds like a different issue then. You sound like you just have poor signal period.

Most people get dropped calls when the network switches modes from EDGE to 3g.
    07-16-09 12:38 PM
    Thanks Guys! Not sure there's a consensus here, but I"ll try Rogers .282 and set it either to 2g or 3g...

Really appreciate people's suggestions / ideas.
    07-17-09 08:05 PM
    I'm using .167 smack dab in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip and I drop calls every call. It has gotten so bad recently that the phone is nearly unusable for calling. It never used to be this bad and I had perfect 3G - still a ton of dropped calls, but at least full service. For the last month as it sits next to my iPhone 3GS, the iPhone has perfect 3G signal and the Bold goes from full to 1, to EDGE, to full, and fluctuates so on.

The other day my Bold kept giving me call failed after call failed, so I called the person back from my iPhone and with full reception it dropped the call after 20 seconds as well.

AT&T 3G is just a travesty and I can't believe that it's allowed to operate like this. On a positive note, a nice rep credited me $100 for all these 3G issues the other night after I called in trying to diagnose the problem. He said within a 1-5 mile radius of me there are 4 towers, yet the 3G service is a joke. He also said that ATT is making some changes and this should hopefully be resolved toward the end of summer - hence the credit to get me to put up with the crap service until then. Great customer service, just not 3G service.

Today I switched to using the iPhone on my main line and I haven't had one dropped call yet (knock on wood), while the Bold hasn't been able to call out pretty much all day and gives me the call failed message every time I have tried but one. I just decided I'll use the iPhone for calling the the Bold for BBM over WiFi. Although I am really leaning toward looking at the Tour on Verizon for better service. But that Bold keyboard....mmmmm...nothing beats it.
    07-17-09 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD