I've dropped my Bold after only two months and dented the metal bezel. Does anyone know:
    1. of an authorised repair service in the UK that could replace the bezel?
    2. if I can replace it myself and not void the warranty?
    3. of a case or skin that will cover the damage, prevent a repeat but not make the phone too fat and ugly?

Thanks
    08-03-09 06:44 PM
    I've dropped my Bold after only two months and dented the metal bezel. Does anyone know:
    3. of a case or skin that will cover the damage, prevent a repeat but not make the phone too fat and ugly?

Thanks
    1) I have no idea... sorry lol
    2) You won't void the warranty. Tons of people change their bezel. I'm not sure if that would apply if you got a different colored one (like black).
    3) Search the CB store, Amazon.com, cnn.cn, etc. There are so many case choices out there it's amazing, and not all of them are bulky and obnoxious. Everyone likes something different, though, so you should just research and find what works best for you.
    08-03-09 06:48 PM
    Changing the bezel yourself will void the limitedwarranty:

This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if any component of the BlackBerry Hardware is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM, and does not cover repair or replacement of any BlackBerry Hardware damaged by misuse, moisture or liquids, proximity or exposure to heat, accident, abuse, neglect, misapplication, or defects due to repairs or modifications made by anyone other than RIM or its authorized service representative

The bezel is not covered by a warranty repair. However, you are correct to contact an authorized repair station to do the repair so that the warranty remains in effect:
    Contact RIM for their opinion:
    Research In Motion UK Limited
    200 Bath Road
    Slough, Berkshire, SL1 3XE
    tel: +44 (0)1753 667000

The other option is to repair the bezel yourself:
    one supplier is cnn.cn
    Last edited by mandony; 08-03-09 at 06:56 PM.
    08-03-09 06:50 PM
    1. of an authorised repair service in the UK that could replace the bezel? Call a local Rogers store.
    2. if I can replace it myself and not void the warranty? For the most part, it will not void the warranty. Still, call Rogers to verify.
    3. of a case or skin that will cover the damage, prevent a repeat but not make the phone too fat and ugly? There are a couple of silicone skins that don't add too much bulk.

Thanks
    Check out THIS SITE for quality replacement parts.
    08-03-09 06:50 PM

Thanks

Bezel is colored PLASTIC..................
    08-03-09 07:00 PM
    As soon as you open the screws you have voided your warranty. Why do you think they have this little tiny white sticker on one of the t-screws? It is damn near hard to remove without ripping or breaking it. Not to mention if water touches it, it changes color I think. They have one sticker on the screws and another on the corner of the battery area.

I'd say the official repair would be costly... If your still under warranty, I would say to leave the phone as is for now and just get a case.

Maybe try the official silicone skins or something like an invisible shield. Those are clear plastic and although they don't cover all the bezel, they cover the areas where scratches are most likely to appear.
    08-04-09 12:04 AM
    Hmmm, I didn't know about voiding the warranty. Learn something new every day. . In the forums people mention doing it all the time. I took mine off once, too, because my volume key wasn't working and when it had to be replaced nobody said anything about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 03:07 AM
    Excellent!!! Glad i saw that link ...
    One the one day i didnt use a silicone case i dropped the bold and dented it - Absolutely gutted!!! Gonna go get me a bezel :-)
    08-04-09 03:37 AM
    Hope all your bolds are feeling better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 08:53 AM
    Hate to tell you this, but if you have dropped the unit and it is physically damaged...they wont repair it if it doesnt work...they will tell you that it doesnt work because you dropped it.

net net...my opinion...your warranty is over anyway...unless you have insurance and it goes lost, then they will replace it.
    08-06-09 10:06 PM
    thats why they sell selicon cases :-P
    08-06-09 10:30 PM
    all about silicone
    08-19-09 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD