I recently bought a 9700 a couple of months ago. and 2 weeks ago i dropped it in water, took it out and dried it, put the battery back in and i got nothing from it, i took it to the shop for repair and they had it a week, who said they couldnt repair, but when I took it home i put the battery in, it begins to load up for a couple of seconds then switches off, and it become a cycle. red light, on go off, screen comes on to load os.. couple of seconds goes off, then repeat.. ive tried the going through apploader to change the OS but it doesnt go passed the "waiting for device intallation stage" because it goes off after a couple of seconds in trying to load.. ive tried to "nuke" it with Jl_cmder but that wont connect.. for the same reason.. it goes off after a few seconds.. its probably a long shot.. but can anyone help? as the online store i brought from tells me its passed the 90 warrenty. ???
    02-22-10 05:46 PM
    The warranty wouldn't cover water damage. That aside, many of the phones I've dealt with that have moisture damage work decently once a new battery is put in, as they seem to short out. However, this doesn;t guarantee the phone will work well, even if it powers up and stays on, as the moisture can damage other internals, especially if you tried to turn it on while it was wet. Most likely you'll need to purchase a new phone, but try going to a store with a return policy allowance for the battery if it doesn't work.
    02-22-10 05:54 PM
    Sounds like to me you need a new phone. It sounds beyond repair, the water probably shorted something. It will be a great paperweight though.
    02-22-10 05:57 PM
    oh well.. headbutting the wall springs to mind
    02-22-10 06:06 PM
    +3 for it being toasted, as ridesno stated, it sounds like it shorted out. warranty/insurance does not cover water damage and if it got wet enough to make it quit working, it most certainly activated the moisture indicator
    02-22-10 06:07 PM
    If you have insurance you definitely want to check on that. Some carriers (AT&T
    for instance) do in fact cover water damage.
    02-22-10 06:19 PM
    i had an old blackberry and i swapped the pink sticker for the white 1.. would they be able to tell any further if its been damaged by moisture??
    02-22-10 06:21 PM
    Yes they can tell, there are internal indicators as well
    02-22-10 06:29 PM
    Oh that is not fun at all

I bought extra insurance with Rogers that covers water damage. I have 2 teenaged daughters and you never know.

Did you put the battery and phone in rice ? That really works.

Katie
    02-22-10 07:05 PM
    Have you put it on a charger? You will need to have a good charge for it to be able to load the OS.
    02-22-10 08:16 PM
    How exactly did you "dry" it? Did you wait at least three days or so before turning it back on? If not, you probably fried it. A lot of the time, it's not when the phone actually gets soaked the first time when the damage is caused. It's when you try to turn it back on right afterwards to see if it's still working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 08:25 PM
    i had an old blackberry and i swapped the pink sticker for the white 1.. would they be able to tell any further if its been damaged by moisture??
    oh what a tangled web we weave..................
    02-22-10 08:50 PM
    Throw it back in the water..maybe it will reverse what happened..jk=)
    Enjoy your new paper weight..

I did that along time ago, now I hold my phone with a kung fu grip.
    02-22-10 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD