Droid Pro

I had to do a double take because I thought I was looking at a Blackberry. Are they trying to woo us away? Is it a good atempt?
    12-20-10 11:52 AM
    I have been looking at it for a while. The screen is huge but I value my push email. Keyboard does look good.
    12-20-10 02:02 PM
    I dont look at it as direct competition to the 9780, or any BlackBerry really. It's just an awesome device, with THE best form factor

...and it does push email too (for Gmail and Yahoo!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 02:15 PM
    It also works with MS Exchange ActiveSync.

It's like the best of both worlds, BB + Droid.

This is the best form factor and a huge screen to boot isn't bad...not bad at all.

I made the comparisson because the 9780 seems to be the latest Blackberry of this type of form factor. (I'm not a fan of slide out keyboards or onscreen keyboards). So the 9780 is what I would like next even if I have to leave VZW.

However, seeing the Droid now with this same form factor and all the google goodies, makes one pause for thought.
    12-20-10 02:19 PM
    Checkout:
    Motorola Droid Pro vs Blackberry 9780 (Horrible writing with lots of spelling mistakes).
    Last edited by smartbuddy; 12-21-10 at 02:11 AM.
    12-21-10 02:09 AM
    The droid pro looks pretty sweet. Makes me wish that Verizon was here in Alaska. Don't guess AT&T is getting an android phone with this styling anytime soon.
    12-21-10 02:44 AM
    I actually took a look at the droid pro yesterday and it looks like a good device but only bc it resembles a bb so much. We are thinking of switching to vzn bc they have such superior service compared to tmo where I live. If we do switch I might try It out... More than likely I'm going to end up waiting for a bold with a touch screen

12-21-10 03:42 PM
    we'll just have to wait until Phil_Uk gives us a review of his new one ! ;-)
    12-22-10 03:52 PM
    we'll just have to wait until Phil_Uk gives us a review of his new one ! ;-)
    I can't run the bloody thing long enough to review it... the battery life is a joke!

Other than that, it's a great phone:- super fast, very smooth and responsive, fantastic keypad, amazing apps, huge screen compared to the 9780, and a fully functioning browser

I honestly thought this would be the device to pry me away from BlackBerry after all these years, but alas no. I work 12 hour shifts and need a phone to last that length of time between charges. All my berries breeze that, but the Droid Pro (even with the extended battery) struggles to last 12 hours... on standby!!! Yup, even with the screen off and no use, it's dead in 12. I tried to love it, but the BB just does everything so much quicker and easier.

So I'm back to the trusty Bold, and you guys will have to put up with me for a bit longer

Garry-m likes this.
    12-22-10 04:19 PM
    That should not happen, Phil. Something is going on, either your network or something constantly running. You should get much better battery life than that.
    12-22-10 04:26 PM
    cheers Phil ,,that means I can score that off my list of phones !:-) ,,,9780 is top -with nothing else under it either . So you should see more of me when I get it in January :-)
    12-22-10 04:37 PM
    Apparently I'm not the only one SD, the Android forums are full of the same complaints with the Droid Pro. There's definitely something not right with battery management on the stock ROM. I thought it might be because I'm running it on a GSM network, but even the guys on Verizon's CDMA network are struggling with it.

I've checked for running apps, underclocked the CPU, reduced the brightness right down, kept the number of widgets to a minimum, and set all updates to the maximum time allowable... all to no avail

MattDub22 likes this.
    12-22-10 04:38 PM
    Thanks phil!!!!! Stickin with tmo and my 9780

12-22-10 04:45 PM
    this is all great info! Thanks Phil. I was REALLY considering that phone. I just want that form factor SOOOO bad!!
    12-22-10 10:08 PM
    the moto pro cant hold a candle to the 9780.
    12-23-10 08:46 AM
    Yeah, right. The specs alone kill it...
    12-23-10 08:49 AM
    LOL. Other than the Droid Pro's poor battery life, in EVERY other respect it blows the 9780 outta the water... period!

SevereDeceit likes this.
    12-23-10 08:54 AM
    Hopefully an update will fix the battery life issue on the pro...
    12-23-10 08:56 AM
    Here's hoping...

12-23-10 08:57 AM
    The one thing I noticed is it looks like the shape of the keyboard keys is almost identical to the ones on my Tour. Did anyone else notice that? Coincidence??
    This is about the only Android device that I would even consider, but I'm simply not a big Android fan, just doesn't work the way that I like. Nice device though.
    12-23-10 09:09 AM
    According to the tech specs the battery life is: GSM up to 330 hrs.; CDMA up to 330 hrs.

However they do make the following disclaimer...

1. All talk and standby times are quoted in Digital Mode, and are approximate. Battery performance depends on network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

2. All talk and standby times are quoted in Digital Mode, and are approximate. Battery performance depends on network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

Personally, I like the Droid Pro 2 Global over the Droid Pro. But I'm really holding out for the Olympus on AT&T, hopefully sometime in early 2011.
    Last edited by DawgMan; 12-23-10 at 09:18 AM.
    12-23-10 09:15 AM
    Yes, many have noticed the keyboard. They're trying to lure BlackBerry users with this device...
    12-23-10 09:16 AM
    Yes, many have noticed the keyboard. They're trying to lure BlackBerry users with this device...
    I totally agree with you. They are trying to lure BlackBerry People. Only the Strong will survive lol.

12-23-10 09:50 AM
    I figured as much, it was the first thing that really jumped out to me...
    12-23-10 10:39 AM
    i was really surprised and looking forward to play with it when the droid pro first came out, nicer and bigger screen, fancy os and apps etc, most importantly, it looks just like a bb. but when i got to hold it in my hand it felt like a cheap plastic toy, didnt like the design either, the pattern on the back is an ugly joke...(maybe it s just me). but it still is a good phone, after all it's an android device, the os became really popular these years for some reason. i dont think i need to explain how good android is...but what im trying to say is, bb is irreplaceable, with so many years experience in this industry, it has become a legacy. it makes real solid communication devices which people can count on..

droid pro vs 9780? i dont even think droid pro is on the same level...

no matter how good lebron is, scottie pippen is still the best point forward of all time(or maybe magic?)...
    12-23-10 10:57 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD