UMA on the Onyx alone is enough to pick it over a Tour. Go t-mobile
    09-12-09 09:43 PM
    Last edited by RobJob; 09-13-09 at 12:01 AM.
    09-12-09 11:58 PM
    For Telus and Bell customers, you can get a cdma Tour today, or wait, and get an hspa Onyx.

Cdma (Rev. A) - 0.6 to 1.4Mbs
    (Rev. O) - 0.4 to 0.7Mbs
    0.526Mbs is the best I've gotten on my Telus 8330 in the city, and that was at 5am.

At a MINIMUM, the Onyx should be capable of 3.6Mbs on the new network. (7.2Mbs...maybe)

Guess which one I'd rather have. I think young Ricky Bobby said it best.
    "I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast, I wanna ..."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 01:09 AM
    Don't you know that a Tour is not an Onyx? Simple as that. To each their own.
    09-13-09 11:36 AM
    What I'd really like to know, is why does the OP care if people are willing to wait for the Onyx over buying a Tour now? I was in the
    T-Mobile store today, and even though they have good deals out now, I still want my Onyx!!
    09-13-09 06:43 PM
    Why would anyone on GSM want the Tour when they can get the Curve 8900? CDMA audio quality is crap compared to GSM. I find that with CDMA, I have to push the phone so hard against my ear and I still can't hear everything all the time. GSM sound quality is like using my landline. Besides, I would take WiFi over 3G any day. And when surfing the web, I can't really tell the difference between 3G and EDGE. I only notice it when downloading large files which I only do when I'm home with my WiFi anyway. And, IMO, the 8900 looks much nicer than the Tour. Just my 2cents
    09-13-09 07:17 PM
    UMA on the Onyx alone is enough to pick it over a Tour. Go t-mobile
    Staying with TMo. Another good reason not to buy a Tour.
    09-13-09 11:17 PM
    Anyhow, that is the deal sealer for me. I picked up my Blackberry 8320 in February - and just last weekend the trackball 'enter' function stopped. Apparently it's a common problem and there's no way to fix since it has nothing to do with the ball getting dirty.
    Actually there is a way to fix it. I sent mine off to a company in TX, they fixed it for like 30 bucks or something. Had it back in 3 days.
    09-14-09 12:24 AM
    The only thing that has me up in the air about the 9700 is the trackpad. I would seriosly have to play with it (trackpad)before I switch to a new phone. I've really been waiting patiently for a 3g bb for t-mo. Really hope the trackpad isn't a disapointment
    09-14-09 08:26 AM
    The only thing that has me up in the air about the 9700 is the trackpad. I would seriosly have to play with it (trackpad)before I switch to a new phone. I've really been waiting patiently for a 3g bb for t-mo. Really hope the trackpad isn't a disapointment
    It's far superior to the trackball in many ways.
    09-14-09 10:34 AM
    It's far superior to the trackball in many ways.
    Thanks! Is there anywhere that you might know that can explain the differences between the 2?
    09-14-09 10:55 AM
    I've been with AT&T since I was 13 (sister had it originally, then gave it to me when i as 18) so I don't want to switch carriers.

On top of that, i've played with the tour and it's not all the great for me IMO. Great phone, just not for me
    09-14-09 11:00 AM
    Thanks! Is there anywhere that you might know that can explain the differences between the 2?
    The ball's just one less moving thing to fail/get dirty/become less sensitive/etc. It's a superior design.
    09-14-09 12:05 PM
    Let's compare
    Tour 9630 vs Onyx 9700

Similarities:
    Screen
    Memory
    Formfactor
    OS (and features)
    3G

Differences:
    Wifi (tour has none)
    Trackball (tour has trackball)
    CPU (100mhz difference)

*Note that T-Mobile will have UMA on the Onyx but only T-Mobile.

Both flagship devices... wifi/trackpad are the biggest difference, 100mhz CPU change is nothing.. it's about a 10% difference in CPU speed.

Now compare to the Tour 9650 Essex which was recently announced
    Same:
    Screen
    Memory
    Formfactor
    OS (and features)
    3G
    Wifi (9650 Essex Tour will have this)
    Trackpad (9650 Essex Tour will have this)

The Essex will probably come out a month or two after the Onyx (no one is sure obviously) maybe they'll come out even closer.

At the end of the day.. the Tour line and the Onyx line are essentially the same phone. The Onyx is not an advancement by leaps and bounds over the Tour at all. They're both the same generation.

The Onyx is the GSM flagship and the Tour series is the CDMA flagship.
    09-14-09 10:22 PM
    That 100mhz makes a huge difference when you're dealing with low numbers to begin with.
    09-14-09 10:31 PM
    Why does everybody on here think its only for tmobile, i mean seriously, all tmobile has done is released a picture with their name on it...at@t at least has it in field testing, and at@t is better than both verizon and tmobile...it kind of sucks though because where i live you have to be 19 to sign a contract so i will have to stick with the tour until i either turn 19 or when i go to basic this summer and get it on fort, but either way i would definitely take the 9700 over the tour.
    09-14-09 10:44 PM
    forgot to mention i am on my parents verizon plan, so thats why i gotta stick with the tour
    09-14-09 10:45 PM
    Why does everybody on here think its only for tmobile, i mean seriously, all tmobile has done is released a picture with their name on it...at@t at least has it in field testing, and at@t is better than both verizon and tmobile...it kind of sucks though because where i live you have to be 19 to sign a contract so i will have to stick with the tour until i either turn 19 or when i go to basic this summer and get it on fort, but either way i would definitely take the 9700 over the tour.
    No one said it's only for t-mobile.
    09-14-09 11:32 PM
    I know many people that burn through the battery on their Tour. I have a 9700 and the battery is the same as the 9000's and trust me, it lasts a LONG time! All day actually with heavy use. The trackpad works flawlessly, but I don't doubt that people will ***** as they always find something to complain about.
    The 9700 comes with much more memory (256MB's). My friend that loves his Bold was amazed at how much he liked my 9700.

Get whatever phone you want, me, I'll take the 9700 FTW!
    09-14-09 11:33 PM
    yah.. i;m sure people do realize.. they aren't stupid!

but why buy the tour with inferior processor, no wifi, no 3G, a trackball, less memory, probably a weaker battery, not runnin 5.0 OS, with threaded sms etc etc etc

i have the bold and i still want the 9700...

plus if ur not on verizon and with tmo or at&t why switch to get a phone that will be inferior?
    And you didn't mention-- weight. I held one and it felt very solid but damn heavy. I'm really hoping the onyx will be closer to the jav weight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 06:07 AM
    Actually, I wouldn't mind a little extra weight on the Onyx. I prefer than to the plasticky feel of other Bberries.
    09-15-09 08:38 AM
    From some specs here on CB, the Onyx has the size of the 8900 but a little bit heavier weight, probably closer to the Tour
    09-15-09 08:41 AM
    It's not the same size as the 8900, 9700 is a tad bit bigger.
    09-15-09 08:52 AM
    Originally Posted by TequilaAddict

Staying with TMo. Another good reason not to buy a Tour.

No, you missed my point. I do not think that only TMo will have the Onyx. The OP asked why people are waiting to buy the Onyx instead of buying a Tour now.

I could buy a Tour, or any other phone now if I wanted to! But I don't specifically want to buy a Tour... but if I wanted to buy one, I'd have to switch carriers, which is something else that I don't want to do.
    I hope that I cleared that up for you.
    09-15-09 10:52 AM
    So.....is tmobile getting the 9700 because my contract extension is coming up and I hate waiting!!!Its either that or the 8900
    09-15-09 10:56 AM
103 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD