btw, does everyone who is a verizon customer realize that they have just changed the upgrade discount from $50 to $30. and those who had a more expensive plan receiving a $100 discount off the 2 year contract price now get $50. just found this out yesterday. i urged the rep to file a complaint on my behalf saying that would be a huge mistake. am i alone thinking this? sorry i know it has nothing to do with the bold vs. tour, but im new on here and don't know how yet to start my own thread. ill figure it out.
    09-11-09 10:14 AM
    Tour battery compartment wiggled, screeen rippled, and I could live with that. I cannot live with bluetooth issues and people not hearing me and telling me to speak up as I'm driving down the road.

Lasted only 1 week with me before the Verizon marriage was annulled.

ATT not much better service, but Bold works flawlessly in every way.

Will I get the Onyx? you bet! Why, just cause I can. And if it has problems, I can always fall back to Bold, which in my opinion, is the best so far.
    09-11-09 10:55 AM
    btw, does everyone who is a verizon customer realize that they have just changed the upgrade discount from $50 to $30. and those who had a more expensive plan receiving a $100 discount off the 2 year contract price now get $50. just found this out yesterday. i urged the rep to file a complaint on my behalf saying that would be a huge mistake. am i alone thinking this? sorry i know it has nothing to do with the bold vs. tour, but im new on here and don't know how yet to start my own thread. ill figure it out.
    No, I think your post has relevance here. This change of the upgrade discount might send some Verizon customers to go upgrade for the Onyx with a new provider. If you can get a cool Onyx with a bigger discount somewhere else, that could make a big difference to some people.
    09-11-09 11:08 AM
    i totally agree, and that is precisely what i told the rep over the phone. verizon will lose many customers to this, it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of so many customers eligible for an upgrade. not to mention, it's not like it's advertized so people will find out right when they are making their purchase. at&t is not exactly bad service (nothing like verizon) and when you start to nickel and dime people their allegiance to you is lost. fundamental marketing error with costly repercussions. so, no go on the storm 2? you think the onyx?
    09-11-09 11:41 AM
    I am liking the Onyx. I have to wait until November to upgrade, so I'll see which phones are available then.
    09-11-09 11:46 AM
    The IPhone is ruining ATT at least here on the left coast. And Tmobile just seems inferior to Verizon again on the West Coast at least. So the point for the non mathematician was that it is not a question of tour vs onyx because even a tmobile customer could figure that out. The question is whether Verizon with a Tour beats out Tmobile even with an Onyx. On the West Coast in Suburbia, the answer is yes.

iPhone's omen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Soooo many disclaimers in this....the iPhone is ruining ATT *at least here on the left coast"....T-Mobile "seems inferior to Verizon...on the West Coast at least"....and then the whole thing ends with a hypothetical that cannot be substantiated because one of the devices mentioned isn't even available yet....and yet another disclaimer at tthe end of the sentence "On the West Coast in Suburbia, the answer is yes."

So let me go to my experience....had AT&T when I lived in California, no problems with dropped calls, no issues with signal strength. Now I live in the East Coast, and as I mentioned, the *only* place where Verizon beats AT&T is in the Metro. Since I don't live in the Metro, it's not a problem to me. Even the article quoted is based on the experiences of TWO people!!! Hardly reason to have me leave my carrier or my Bold. Is there increased demand because of the iPhone? Undoubtedly. Have *I* experienced any degradation of functionality or service? Nope. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I'm on 3G far more now over the last six to eight months. I used to drop to Edge out of DC into Frederick, MD a few times. Not so anymore, it's 3G the entire way and in my house.

Interesting thread....worthy of a chuckle or two....particularly loved the sarcastic comment about the non-mathematicians, when the initial argument didn't even hold up.
    09-11-09 12:00 PM
    i totally agree, and that is precisely what i told the rep over the phone. verizon will lose many customers to this, it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of so many customers eligible for an upgrade. not to mention, it's not like it's advertized so people will find out right when they are making their purchase. at&t is not exactly bad service (nothing like verizon) and when you start to nickel and dime people their allegiance to you is lost. fundamental marketing error with costly repercussions. so, no go on the storm 2? you think the onyx?
    Just wait until they are released. If Verizon doesn't change that policy about the lower upgrade discount, you can shop around for the best deal on either phone, and then decide.
    09-11-09 12:08 PM
    The IPhone is ruining ATT at least here on the left coast. And Tmobile just seems inferior to Verizon again on the West Coast at least. So the point for the non mathematician was that it is not a question of tour vs onyx because even a tmobile customer could figure that out. The question is whether Verizon with a Tour beats out Tmobile even with an Onyx. On the West Coast in Suburbia, the answer is yes.iPhone's omen

FAIL RE-READ THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED. Quote: "That's why you see these problems at conferences or in large cities with high concentration of iPhone users".

Us suburbiates will be fine, as long as we're not in the downtown LA, SF or SD areas.
    09-11-09 12:26 PM
    Once again I started this post without knowing that Tmo can do UMA which makes the Onyx Invincible.

09-11-09 02:18 PM
    The only thing I haven't read yet is the fact that the tour doesn't need wifi with Verizon, since you have an unlimited data plan anyway whether your on wifi or not doesn't make a bit of difference, especially when my tour will load up pages about as fast as my iTouch does on any standard wifi signal. Also, the Tour is technically a world phone, so even though its CDMA, it still can run off GSM/UMTS

Yes, Verizon lowering the upgrade discount is bad, but I've never had a bad customer service experience. In fact, they've done extra things for me like push my upgrade date up a month so I could get sales pricing on a phone, or given me a full refund on a phone I had for a year that was giving me problems (they gave me the price I paid for the phone, not what the current price was).

It honestly comes down to where do you get the best discount, who gives you the best coverage, and what will cost you the least amount of $$$.

So really what's the big deal? Just having the newest BB?
    09-11-09 08:21 PM
    since when was wifi a minor detail?!
    verizon 3G faster than wifi? lol.
    seriously, that depends what wifi your running off of. more times than not, wifi will be faster than 3g, even the almighty verizon 3g network.

we only run data on 3g speeds because we have to.
    nokia surge ftw! jk.
    09-12-09 01:14 AM
    ATTENTION ALL RIM AND VERIZON EMPLOYEES
    (yes, I know you guys troll these boards)

Not having WI-FI is a BIG DEAL !

I often work in secure buildings, data centers, underground basement areas, and other places where no cell signal is available. But I do have WiFi in those areas. Also, many airlines are starting to provide WiFi service on planes. If I had a WiFi BB, I could have been online and gotten some work done on a flight from Los Angeles to DC. But NOPE, because Verizon doesn't want us to have WiFi.

Look I am a Verizon customer. I have been a Verizon customer ever since they purchased AirTouch. But, I am not happy with the low level of service and stupid policies put in place lately. I was about 5 days from being eligible for a discounted upgrade, and only 2 days from going on a business trip. You would figure your systems would allow a sales person or manager to override and provide the upgrade discount a few days early considering how many BB phones I have on my account and the mega $$ I spend. But NOPE! In the store and on the phone, the answer I got was pay more or wait until you get back. So yeah, I upgraded when I got back. And now your people are giving me crap about fixing my tour trackball issue??? Really?

If your customer service does not get better, and your phones start offering WiFi (and other competitive features), I will pay to break my contract, buy the latest BB somewhere else and give someone else my business.

--In case you are wondering: I have 2 Tours, an 8830, an LG something, and an HTC WinMob on my account. My personal devices are the LG and the Tour, and I have had BB devices since the RIM 957.
    Last edited by TekGrind; 09-12-09 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added notes at the bottom
    09-12-09 03:11 AM
    I think people are letting the idea of the tour being the CDMA flagship device go to their head by actualy thinking the tour is equivalent to the onyx or even the Bold (9000)......

If anything the tour is equivalent to the GSM's Curve( 8900 )
    09-12-09 07:47 AM
    I think people are letting the idea of the tour being the CDMA flagship device go to their head by actualy thinking the tour is equivalent to the onyx or even the Bold (9000)......

It's funny because the ones who have this device already is telling them that they do not equal, yet they feel that we are wrong. I wouldn't say the Tour is equivalent to the 8900, but more as the Bold's little brother. 9700 is the Bold's big brother. Why is this so hard to understand? Ask a insider if the Tour is equal to the Onyx on CB, and I will love to read their answer.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 09-12-09 at 09:51 AM.
    09-12-09 08:04 AM
    Who would waste their money on the tour. I'm on AT&T and I am currently using a Bold and will be buying an Onyx and using both phones daily. The tour to me isn't appealing at all. In Miami, Florida I've been happy with my AT&T coverage. I had Sprint at one point and personally CDMA carriers are the worst.

09-12-09 09:42 AM
    ^ Were you also a Verizon subscriber? If not, then your statement is a stupid one, unless you could back it up on why CDMA carriers are the worst.
    09-12-09 09:54 AM

You're totally right! The Onyx is so much better in everyway compared to the Tour line...

EXCEPT for the fact that it shares the same screen, memory, operating system, features etc..

Why can't people realize that the Onyx and the Tour are exactly the same minux some hardware and 100mhz CPU... the 9650 will have wifi and be on Sprint and Verizon and have a trackpad.

The 9650(and lesser extent 9630) and the 9700 are almost identical save for form factor. Compare the 9700 to the 9650 Tour.. Wifi, OS5.0, Trackpad, Screen, Memory, Features.. all the same! and BOTH are not out yet...

So .. tell me again how the Onyx blows away the other phones. the Onyx is an incremental upgrade at best.. hardley the Bold 2.
    09-12-09 02:03 PM
    hmmm, from someone that just had to replace his trackball, I say that if I could get an Onyx based solely on that, I would.

and when processors are running such slow speeds, 100mhz is A LOT!
    09-12-09 02:11 PM
    100 mhz difference in CPU...
    09-12-09 02:59 PM
    You're totally right! The Onyx is so much better in everyway compared to the Tour line...

EXCEPT for the fact that it shares the same screen, memory, operating system, features etc..

Why can't people realize that the Onyx and the Tour are exactly the same minux some hardware and 100mhz CPU... the 9650 will have wifi and be on Sprint and Verizon and have a trackpad.

The 9650(and lesser extent 9630) and the 9700 are almost identical save for form factor. Compare the 9700 to the 9650 Tour.. Wifi, OS5.0, Trackpad, Screen, Memory, Features.. all the same! and BOTH are not out yet...

So .. tell me again how the Onyx blows away the other phones. the Onyx is an incremental upgrade at best.. hardley the Bold 2.

Software is irrelevant to the convo considering the software can be upgraded and installed by the user at any given moment...

Hardware is where this all boils down to and if the tour is to be considered equivalent to anything it would be the 8900...

Bottom line is CDMA carriers will have to wait a bit longer to catch up with GSM carriers and by the time they catch up to the current GSM carriers line up the GSM carriers would have dropped even better models...

Wifi is important (not only is wifi faster but certain areas where there is no cell signal having wifi can be a life saver)
    CPU speed is important (especially after comparing my BOLD to my friends tour)

Even the trackpad is an improvemet ( comming from the 8800 to the 8310 then to the 9000 I've witnessed 1st hand how easy it is for the trackball to screw up)

All the improvements the ONYX has over the tour are all major like it or not
    09-12-09 07:30 PM
    Definitely in earnest anticipation of the Onyx.

The Tour is NO Onyx...not even close, IMO.

09-12-09 08:18 PM
    I was about 5 days from being eligible for a discounted upgrade, and only 2 days from going on a business trip. You would figure your systems would allow a sales person or manager to override and provide the upgrade discount a few days early considering how many BB phones I have on my account and the mega $$ I spend.
    I don't know who you talked to but they push my upgrade date up 13 days so I could get sales pricing on a new blackberry. Here's a tip always go through corporate.

Edit: Also the reason I don't consider wifi important is because of two reasons: 1) I get service everywhere and don't really care about waiting that extra few seconds for the page to load on 3G; 2) If I really want to use wifi, I almost always have my laptop or my iTouch with me for that.
    Last edited by Ryukashin; 09-12-09 at 09:20 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
    09-12-09 09:14 PM
    I really don't know why anyone is all up on the Tour. It's nice and all, the 9700 is going to blow the Tour out of the water, especially because it will not be available on Verizon!
    09-12-09 09:29 PM
    I have had only a pearl and have been lucky enough to try all other BB out on the market today though friends and people just needing a fix on a problem. From what I have seen of the tour I am not impressed but I could be with the 9700 too. I have tmobile and my wife has a tmobile 3g type phone and I can't wait to have a BB with 3g and wifi on tmobile. I will still try it out to make sure it is for me but I am pumped.

09-12-09 09:33 PM
    the tour lacks wifi. why would people be drawn to it?
    people have complained about its trackball.
    the onyx/driftwood comes equipped with 3g, wifi, trackpad, sexy slim size, faster processor.
    09-12-09 09:39 PM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD