Dumbest thread topic ever!
    Agreed. The whole idea of switching carriers, paying ETF, and locking into a contract for 2 years for a marginally better/different phone that will be upstaged in 6 months is refreakingdiculous!
    I have verizon because they have service where I need it. If TMO was the same I would be with them. I have the Tour because it was the best device at the time.
    Everyone has different needs from their carriers and devices. Carrier/device fanboys drive me crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 07:33 AM
    I realize the Onyx is the next flagship Blackberry and has wi-fi and a bigger screen on top of the Tour, but I am wondering would you really make the following decision?:

T-Mobile + Blackberry Onyx over

Verizon + Blackberry Tour.
    I agree with you somewhat. After owning a Bold and an 8900 I got the Tour because it seems like the best of both worlds (curve like size, bold keyboard and higher speed web).

I lucked out and got a Tour that works flawlessly. No trackball/door issues. Super stable OS. I'll probably turn around and get the Onyx when it comes out as well, but this will tide me over until then.
    09-10-09 08:42 AM
    Another UK person here - no CDMA networks!
    09-10-09 09:04 AM
    • 9700>Tour
    • Wi-fi
    • Trackpad
    • Verizon=+++$$$!!!
    • Verizon device/OS meddling
    • Verizon support
    • Never, never, never will I willingly switch to Verizon for any device, ever.
    09-10-09 09:35 AM
    Two words: Track pad.

Or is it one word? Trackpad.

Anyhow, that is the deal sealer for me. I picked up my Blackberry 8320 in February - and just last weekend the trackball 'enter' function stopped. Apparently it's a common problem and there's no way to fix since it has nothing to do with the ball getting dirty.

I vowed to NEVER buy a BB again. But then, while researching some way to fix the trackball, I stumbled upon the new trackpad design. That's why I'm waiting.

For now, I'll make do with the 'enter' key but once the Onyx is released for T-Mobile, I'm picking that sucker up.

Oh yeah, The Tour has no wi-fi? Forget that! I use Wi-Fi everyday when I'm in the office.
    I doubt that. When everywhere you read, "The Tour" specs (even on Blackberry.com) say that there is not a Wi-Fi Radio in the phone. So nice try to push people over.

Edit: To the OP, do you really think about the question before you post? Its a newer better model in the eyes of Blackberry. I have a Tour right now, and I love it, however, its not performing for me. The signal sucks on this phone.
    Last edited by zelda26; 09-10-09 at 11:52 AM.
    09-10-09 11:37 AM
    I realize the Onyx is the next flagship Blackberry and has wi-fi and a bigger screen on top of the Tour, but I am wondering would you really make the following decision?:

You're kidding, right?!?!? Why would I want to go to Verizon? Why would I want a CDMA device in the first place??!!!??? The *only* place I have found where Verizon has better coverage than AT&T (where AT&T has no coverage at all!) is the Metro. Other than that, every city where I've been, I've had stronger signals than my Verizon toting colleagues. And why would a want a Tour, with less features, than a Onyx??? I'll wait for the Onyx while using my Bold. Not everyone is of the belief that Verizon is a superior carrier...my experience with At&T/Cingular has been excellent.

Geesh....
    09-10-09 11:58 AM
    The IPhone is ruining ATT at least here on the left coast. And Tmobile just seems inferior to Verizon again on the West Coast at least. So the point for the non mathematician was that it is not a question of tour vs onyx because even a tmobile customer could figure that out. The question is whether Verizon with a Tour beats out Tmobile even with an Onyx. On the West Coast in Suburbia, the answer is yes.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...men/?uniontrib

09-10-09 12:50 PM
    and bought the Tour because i was tired of my 8130 and really didnt want Storm. I also didnt want too w8 and see if the Storm 2 was going to be a flop.I in my case bought the Tour without much thought (but) i have been lucky i did not have any problems in any way i/e trackball,screen ripple,o.s issues i have been lucky. yes maybe i could have gotten the Onyx but with problems with various phone being pushed out there im worried.The more stuff you crammed in youre phone the greater the likelihood of errors.just my thoughts...
    09-10-09 01:02 PM
    Yeah, so does that mean you're happy with the Tour?
    09-10-09 01:13 PM
    first of all:
    the tour does have 3G and the last i heard the onyx has the same amount of memory, and how can you dis the tours battery when you obviously dont have proof "PROBABLY a weaker battery"... btw im also running os 5.0.0.191 with threaded text sooo.... u basically are right about the wifi and processor but im not to much sold on a trackpad yet
    If you take the tour to tmobile, IT DOESNT HAVE 3G
    09-10-09 01:16 PM
    Uhh have you heard of a contract agreement? Not to mention all the cool features the Onyx will have and the Tour does not.
    09-10-09 01:45 PM
    Tour was a huge disappointment to me.. only reason I own it is because Verizon gives me the best coverage and the Storm 2 isn't out yet..
    09-10-09 01:55 PM
    People are quite passionate about a phone that does not yet exist to the public.

09-10-09 11:27 PM
    People are quite passionate about a phone that does not yet exist to the public.
    I think it's safe to say a lot of us here are technophiles so the latest device with cool new features is really exciting. Generally I'm a practical person but I get caught up in the excitement too.
    The 9700 looks like it's going to be great but honestly the 8900 has all the features that I really want so I will most likely end up getting that instead.
    09-11-09 12:12 AM
    If anyone can substantiate the claim that the 9700 can do voice over data I would be utterly fanatical about that too. Until that happens, the thing is basically a tour with wifi.

09-11-09 12:41 AM
    I did not realize that Tmobile already does UMA. If I had I would have never started this post.

09-11-09 01:44 AM
    Bold = Papa Bear

Onyx = Mama Bear

Tour = Baby Bear

Why would I want baby bear when I could get it on with mama bear?

P.S. Storm2 = Huggy Bear.

09-11-09 05:42 AM
    If anyone can substantiate the claim that the 9700 can do voice over data I would be utterly fanatical about that too. Until that happens, the thing is basically a tour with wifi.

Why wouldn't this device be capable of doing Voice over data? Hmm, I didn't know it was a CDMA device. The phone is RIM 's newest flagship device, and I could assure you that it's better than the Tour, regardless of Wi-Fi. Storm 2 is better than the Tour as well, but it's always a matter of opinion. The Tour is better than the 8300, yet for some people, it still didn't warrant a upgrade for it.
    09-11-09 07:41 AM
    There is very little difference in functionality between the Tour and the Onyx. Both will have exactly the same OS revisions, 5.0.x) and with the Tour 9650 coming very soon, it will have Wifi and Trackpad. The only difference is GSM 3G data, Wifi (only on the 9630, 9650 will have wifi) and 100mhz CPU difference.

Other than that.. there is very very little difference. At the end of the day the ONYX is just the "tour" for the GSM carriers.
    09-11-09 07:51 AM
    The tour over the onyx hahahahahaah the tour over the onyx hahahahahaha wew that was funny i own the Bold not swtiching or anything but the tour over the onyx hold o i forgot something hahahahahaha thats what i forgot to laugh lol
    09-11-09 07:55 AM
    You could argue the "Tour" is just the Bold for the CDMA carriers, and I'll give you reasons why the Bold is the better device. Oh, I guess you're saying that Tour>9700>Bold. Seriously if you don't own the 9700 or at least test it, you shouldn't make a statement on which is better.
    09-11-09 07:56 AM
    No one should switch carriers. That's a stupid idea. At the end of the day the Tour and the Onyx are the same phone with the same OS minus Wifi. Again with the 9650 coming it will be the same phone feature wise minux 100mhz CPU. Same Screen, same Memory, almost the same form factor, **** even the Tour does 3G GSM in Europe and CDMA. The Tour and the Onyx are the same "level" of phone with Onyx being the flagship for GSM and Tour being the flagship for CDMA.

There is no exclusive functionality that the ONYX will have over the Tour. Everyone yelling about the Onyx being 5000x better than the Tour just don't realize it's the same friggen phone functionality wise with minor differences.
    09-11-09 08:01 AM
    why get a tour now when you can get a bold?..why get the bold when you can wait and get the onyx?...logic would say..if your gonna buy a device for the first time...don't settle for anything less than the best...out right now the bold is the best..followed by the tour...but the onyx is going to outdo all that is out already...so i am gonna sit and wait for her to be released..
    09-11-09 08:13 AM

Yes. we realize it. Of course we can buy ANY phone now, but the ONYX is the phone we want, so its worth waiting to get the Onyx.

If I bought a Tour now, I'd be regretting it when the Onyx goes on sale.
    09-11-09 08:57 AM
    okay, do i wait for the storm 2 because i am up for renewal? or when my contract is over in november with verizon switch to at&t and get the 9700? i already tried the tour, which is awesome, but i got cold feet thinking about the storm 2. question remains, storm 2 or bold?
    09-11-09 10:09 AM
103 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD