I had to pull my Blackberry out of my dog's mouth today, and when it came out, the 'D' key had fallen off. I can push the key back in the empty slot, but it doesn't stay fixed in place, and comes off again easily.

The obvious solution is to superglue the key in place, but I want to make sure that I don't make things worse (for example, I don't want to fix the key in the up or down position permanently).

Has anybody done this repair before? Any tips before I proceed?

Thanks!

Luke.
    03-10-10 01:08 AM
    The actual 'clip' may be broken and you won't be able to re attach it. May have to order a replacement keypad and swap it out.

Chris
    03-10-10 03:43 AM
    Good thing he didn't swallow your phone. Those ringtones every time he wags his tail can be a drag
    03-10-10 04:38 AM
    I didn't see just a keyboard, but some parts to check out here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 05:44 AM
    you can get the keyboard here ($14.99)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM keyboard - QWERTY - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -

and, also get the special 9000 screwdriver;
    High quality 'BEST' precision T5 screwdriver - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -
    I also recommend to order a set of 9000 screws in case of a breakage.
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM T5 screws set - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G,

The videos: 'how-to' are also on this site:
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM keyboard - QWERTY - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -

Since you are paying the minimum shipping charge, also order a new spare trackball, since you will need it eventually.
    Last edited by mandony; 03-10-10 at 08:25 PM.
    03-10-10 09:49 AM
    Okay, I watched the disassembly video, and it looks like the keyboard is one big piece that goes over the individual key switches... That means my 'D' key got detached from the rest of the keyboard, not the switch, and it would probably be a bad idea to glue it to the switch. So here I go to replace the entire keyboard.
    03-10-10 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD