and causing it to end the call because of the touch screen?
    09-13-11 03:30 PM
    Not for me ... also its not suppose to be like that since it does have a sensor to prevent this.Maybe yours does have a defect or a bug ... which software build are you on?

i remember many iphones had this defect with the sensor.
    09-13-11 03:35 PM
    Another possibility is they way that you hold the phone to your head/ear. I know on some iPhones and Android phones, the sensors were working properly, but with just a small tilt away from the top of your ear toward your mouth, the sensor would think its far enough away to turn the screen on. This would result in the bottom portion of your ear, which is still touching the entire time, to activate whatever it is touching on the screen.

Just a thought.
    09-13-11 03:41 PM
    Do you have a screen protector on? It's been a while, but have heard of certain protectors interfering with the proximity sensor.

If you want to test it out place a call (eg to your voicemail) with the phone away from your head. When the call is connected place a finger over the led hole (the sensor is actually just to the left of that hole - so place finger accordingly). If the screen goes dark, all is good. If not, you have a problem.
    yenyob likes this.
    09-13-11 04:10 PM
    Your ear should not hit the "end call button" on the screen as your screen has a proximity sensor that turns your screen off while against your face.
    09-13-11 05:21 PM
    Its funny that you mention this, if I'm on a call for a couple minutes with the phone to my ear it automatically switches to speakerphone. Maybe my big ears always find a way to hit the speakerphone button on the screen......just sayin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yenyob likes this.
    09-13-11 06:08 PM
    I've found you have to trust the sensor, and just talk on the phone as if it's not a touchsereen. If I favor it away from my ear because of the touchscreen, it will sometimes go to speaker, but if I just commit to holding it against my head (just don't think about touchscreen) it works flawlessly.
    09-13-11 06:24 PM
    Its funny that you mention this, if I'm on a call for a couple minutes with the phone to my ear it automatically switches to speakerphone. Maybe my big ears always find a way to hit the speakerphone button on the screen......just sayin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    happens to me constantly
    09-13-11 06:31 PM
    Do you have a screen protector on? It's been a while, but have heard of certain protectors interfering with the proximity sensor.

If you want to test it out place a call (eg to your voicemail) with the phone away from your head. When the call is connected place a finger over the led hole (the sensor is actually just to the left of that hole - so place finger accordingly). If the screen goes dark, all is good. If not, you have a problem.
    I didnt realize that's where it was. Sensor works per your test, but still I hit the speaker phone all the time.
    09-13-11 06:33 PM
    I didnt realize that's where it was. Sensor works per your test, but still I hit the speaker phone all the time.
    The good news is that your device is not faulty.
    Is it possible you don't keep the phone pressed up against your head while talking? Best would be to keep it pressed up, if it lifts off, even slightly, the screen could activate thus allowing a button to be pressed.
    09-14-11 09:01 AM
    yea it keeps hitting the speakerphone
    09-14-11 01:47 PM
    Yup, I get the speaker mode often too. My solution is to click the lock button during calls to lock the touchscreen.
    09-14-11 01:58 PM
    Your ear should not hit the "end call button" on the screen as your screen has a proximity sensor that turns your screen off while against your face.
    Add to that that there is no end button on the actual touch screen. If you press end button with your ear, well, you can do that on any BlackBerry phone then. You really have to be pushing it hard against your ear to press the end button.
    09-14-11 02:35 PM
    and causing it to end the call because of the touch screen?
    I hold my phone at a diagnol meaning the earpiece rests against my ear and the bottom portion of the phone is slanted to the right/left (depending on which ear it is)

otherwise ...

yenyob likes this.
    09-14-11 03:20 PM
    The good news is that your device is not faulty.
    Is it possible you don't keep the phone pressed up against your head while talking? Best would be to keep it pressed up, if it lifts off, even slightly, the screen could activate thus allowing a button to be pressed.
    It's probably me. I hate when I sound like I'm yelling into the phone if it's too close so i hold it back a bit.
    09-14-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD