Thinkin bout deleting bbm because I don't use it. And anything else I can. I shrunk something, not sure what and it didn't let my facebook download. Also how much app memory do u guys have available

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 01:54 AM
    I shrank my install of 587, and after the first boot I had 303.3 MB free. After installing the few apps I run, I'm steady at 288.25.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 09-02-11 at 07:54 AM.
    08-17-11 07:24 AM
    Cody, I shrink everything off my OS install except BBM, Memo and Tasks. Everything else goes. I have 15 apps and 13 themes installed and when I reboot, I started with 286 this morning.

And no, shrinking and deleting do not make the phone snappier or less lag unless you are really LOW on memory.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 08-17-11 at 09:15 AM.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-17-11 09:10 AM
    I used to shrink my os. I would always start to get random reboots when memory got to be around 250mb free. Last few times I decided to not shrink the os first and the random reboots stopped.

I don't know why.

08-17-11 09:36 AM
    I have about 140MB free, do not shrink (running latest official Sprint release) and my phone runs great without any issues..however like all Blackberries it does need to be reset once in a while
    08-17-11 11:35 AM
    I used to shrink my os. I would always start to get random reboots when memory got to be around 250mb free. Last few times I decided to not shrink the os first and the random reboots stopped.

I don't know why.

I agree. OS 6 seems to more integrated than previous OS and I would get boot errors & random reboots when I would shrink stuff out. I only take out default backgrounds, videos, themes & music now and it seems to run better. Just my opinion though.
    08-17-11 12:43 PM
    Cody, I shrink everything off my OS install except BBM, Memo and Tasks. Everything else goes. I have 15 apps and 13 themes installed and when I reboot, I started with 286 this morning.

And no, shrinking and deleting do not make the phone snappier or less lag unless you are really LOW on memory.
    +1, i'm with Jaydee on this one. i've shrunken what ever possibly fit to get rid of except the same as stated, bbm, memo & tasks. i have 16 apps and as of today 37 themes installed and i reboot with 267.

i did try shrink out tasks once and it gave me a java.nullpointer error upon reboot. i added it back and the reboot error was gone.

and no it doesn't help with the lagginess of the OS.
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 08-17-11 at 01:03 PM.
    08-17-11 12:57 PM
    Removing things from application STORAGE to help performance is like deleting individual files on your hard drive to help Windows performance. Only way to reduce/eliminate lag is to close any running apps in the background when you're not using them.

08-17-11 02:13 PM
    Any memory saved will help your BB run better, and deleting something that constantly runs (like BBM) will definitely free up some RAM.
    SO if you don't use and don't want BBM () then you might as well delete it.
    08-18-11 11:22 PM

I am always around 20MB free. Is this considered really low?
    I have all my personal data/files saved to my memory card to keep the internal memory from dwindling to zero. Is there any way to delete/shrink files right off of the phone's internal memory without having to reload the OS?
    09-01-11 08:42 PM
    Folks with the BB Playbook have been finding that if they remove the VAD (voice activated dialing) then in a number of cases the Bridge function will fail in various ways. Bridge links a bb phone with the bb Playbook.
    09-02-11 12:07 AM
    I am always around 20MB free. Is this considered really low?
    I have all my personal data/files saved to my memory card to keep the internal memory from dwindling to zero. Is there any way to delete/shrink files right off of the phone's internal memory without having to reload the OS?
    The 9700 only has half the memory of 9650, but yes only 20MB free is quite low for a 9700. Delete apps you dont use through application management in options.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 09-02-11 at 08:00 AM.
    09-02-11 07:55 AM
    Even just a wipe and reload will free up some memory and snap it right back to snappiness. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    09-02-11 10:17 PM
    The 9700 only has half the memory of 9650, but yes only 20MB free is quite low for a 9700. Delete apps you dont use through application management in options.
    Ya I have already removed all but a few apps that i really need. Any other way to delete stuff from the internal memory that I don't need? For example, there are several megabytes of sample wallpapers and a sample video on there that seem to be locked. I can't delete them via the file explorer..
    09-04-11 03:32 PM
    I use Shrink-A-OS to shrink sample media, additional fonts & help files from the PC before loading the OS.

09-04-11 04:03 PM
    Too bad there is no way to remove this stuff while it's on the phone
    09-05-11 11:48 AM
    Well, you can use BBSAK to delete the specific cods, but that's a little risky. It is actually easier to use SAOS.

09-05-11 11:59 AM
    Any memory saved will help your BB run better, and deleting something that constantly runs (like BBM) will definitely free up some RAM.
    SO if you don't use and don't want BBM () then you might as well delete it.
    I agree with this completely!

As jbarbero suggested you could use BBSAK or SAOS or BBHTools and BBBoss 2.2.2 allows OS shrinking directly on your phone.
    09-05-11 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD