Does replacing the trackball unit also replace the 'clicking contact' below the trackball?

I have played well over a 1000 solitaire games and my track ball doesn't 'click' any more when pressed. It still works, but takes a marginally harder press and no satisfying click.

I see that replacements are available for about $10 - $12 on Ebay, but from what I can find on the disassembly videos, I cannot confirm that the clicker is part of the trackball assembly. If the ball sits on top of the clicking part, then it is useless to replace the trackball.

If this is the case, does this require a new board for the phone?

Thanks, any info is much appreciated.

Michael
    08-20-09 11:24 AM
    Yes, it will click like the day you got the device...
    08-20-09 11:26 AM
    replacing the trackball will solve you issue and no you you won't need to replace the board
    08-20-09 11:29 AM
    Yes, it will click like the day you got the device...
    I don't think so. If you take an uninstalled trackball and press on it there is no click instead it just sinks down. The trackball lies over the clicking mechanism which is part of the motherboard. I can be wrong can anyone verify?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 11:43 AM
    I don't think so. If you take an uninstalled trackball and press on it there is no click instead it just sinks down. The trackball lies over the clicking mechanism which is part of the motherboard. I can be wrong can anyone verify?

Yah, this is what I was afraid of. Now I am hoping that the warranty will cover it. And then I will have to start over with the protective skin.....dangit.

Michael
    08-20-09 11:49 AM
    There is a little copper dome below the trackball, that is where the click comes from...
    08-20-09 12:06 PM
    I have replaced the trackball on my 8300 3 times. It does NOT fix the "mushy no tangible click" issue. As JD914 & SD said, it's the dome switch on the circuit board that makes the click. My "click" died within 3 months, but my trackball still works 2 years later. It selects things, but there is no tangible feedback from the button.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 08-20-09 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
    08-20-09 12:12 PM
    I have replaced the trackball on my 8300 3 times. It does NOT fix the "mushy no tangible click" issue. As JD914 & SD said, it's the dome switch on the circuit board that makes the click. My "click" died within 3 months, but my trackball still works 2 years later. It selects things, but there is no tangible feedback from the button.
    Is this something that happens a lot? There seem to be an awful lot of threads about trackball replacement.
    08-22-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD