Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar to this. There is a particular geographic location (my kid's baaseball field) where my battery seems to drain quicker than normal. My kids play 3-4 times per week and usually when we arrive at the field I have about 50-60% battery life remaining. Over the course of two hours my battery drains down to 5-10%. Aside from an occasional glance at my email , I am not using the phone much during this time.

Is it possible that the location has an effect on battery life? The only thing I can think is that maybe it is jumping back and forth from 3G to EDGE. Would that cause such a drastic drop?
    06-16-09 09:35 AM
    Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar to this. There is a particular geographic location (my kid's baaseball field) where my battery seems to drain quicker than normal. My kids play 3-4 times per week and usually when we arrive at the field I have about 50-60% battery life remaining. Over the course of two hours my battery drains down to 5-10%. Aside from an occasional glance at my email , I am not using the phone much during this time.

Is it possible that the location has an effect on battery life? The only thing I can think is that maybe it is jumping back and forth from 3G to EDGE. Would that cause such a drastic drop?
    Yes, poor reception would certainly cause this issue.
    06-16-09 09:39 AM
    absolutely. if you're in a location where you're crackberry is constantly searching for a signal, you're battery will die a quick death.
    06-16-09 09:47 AM
    absolutely. if you're in a location where you're crackberry is constantly searching for a signal, you're battery will die a quick death.
    Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I will have to make sure I charge my phone before I head out to the park.
    06-16-09 10:02 AM
    I own a pub, the signal to one end of the bar is full strength, but the other end it a dead-spot. So depending on whether I'm selling wine or lager (either end of the bar) my phone will either be looking for signal, or not.

This is enough to murder my battery in the space of one bar-shift if I don't remember to leave it up the good end and not in my pocket.

Can't really see away round addressing this problem in mobile phones - not if you want any degree of accuracy from your signal meters.
    06-16-09 10:19 AM
    I'm guessing sitting at a kid's baseball game you are also getting a heck of a lot more use out of the device while you wait for kids that are not your own to ground out to first, pop to short, or error their way around for an inside the park home run...
    06-16-09 03:09 PM
    try switching off 3g,at least while your at the game
    06-16-09 03:16 PM
    try switching off 3g,at least while your at the game
    If only I could, I'm on AT&T :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 05:44 PM
    If only I could, I'm on AT&T :-(
    Have a look through this thread...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...anding-207789/

Doug
    06-16-09 05:55 PM
    Awesome thread, never knew you could turn 3g off. Thanks!
    06-16-09 06:10 PM
    I am in a terrible building for reception so my phone searches all day. When I leave work, my battery is at least 50% less from searching for 12 hours. When I go into work now, I switch my mobile network off from 'manage connections'. I don't get coverage anyway so it doesn't matter and I save my battery.
    06-16-09 07:47 PM
    I get 4-5 hours on my phone under hardcore talking usage and thats at my location 1-3 bars max and usually its only 1 bar... so if anyone is getting sucky reception/battery loss.... hmmm i not know why.. as i am living proof of sucky reception area and getting RATED battery usage still on hardcore calling.

Now whan not on hard i get 8-12 hours depends on how many calls and emails/sms i am doing.
    06-16-09 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD