Trackpad for everything except zooming in on webpages and photos as well as switching menu columns on the home screen (all,favorites, etc). It's really going to suck for all of us if RIM actually does eliminate it completely in BB10. It is a very important feature for me. I love my PlayBook but sometimes I wish that I had a trackpad to move the cursor over 1 or 2 spaces in a word instead of pressing on the screen over and over again for the blue tag dragging thing to appear. All touch devices are so obtuse when it come to needing precise selecting.
    10-17-12 11:07 AM
    Track pad probably 99% of the time, sometimes I forget that I have a touch screen as well. Assuming the BB10 QWERTY has no track pad this is going to be a heck of an adjustment for me.
    10-17-12 02:40 PM
    Most of the time I use it to edit text or navigate the phone using 1 hand.

But it comes in handy the most when editing text. Keep the trackpad RIM!!
    10-17-12 04:02 PM
    I use and love it.
    I guess it will disappear on bb10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 07:47 PM
    All day, every day. ESPECIALLY when bridged to my PlayBook!
    10-17-12 07:49 PM
    I use it most of the time but I find that if I hover over a link it is automatically activated.
    10-17-12 08:02 PM
    I don't use the touch screen at all. I only use the trackpad.
    10-17-12 08:51 PM
    I find it awkward not using the trackpad, and I sometimes forget that this phone has a touch screen. It's good to have and use the touchscreen on some web pages but i find it containment to use the trackpad more
    BB 10 minus the trackpad might be a mistake.....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 09:28 PM
    Actually I use the trackpad in conjunction with the touchscreen on both my 9930 and my 9850. Works very well. I'd say 50% trackpad and 50% touch on my bold. Less trackpad on the torch due to the bigger screen and larger touch targets. But still both.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 09:50 PM
    Of course! Touchscreen isnt as good, I need the trackpad.
    10-17-12 09:59 PM
    It all depends on my task at hand. Usually 50/50. Sometimes both at the same time, kind of like using a PC mouse and using CTRL functions on PC keyboard at the same time.
    10-18-12 01:43 AM
    I use the trackpad about 90% of the time too. After using the Galaxy Blaze for three months, I'm actually using the touch screen a bit more than I used to, which was almost never. But using Android got me used to reaching up and tapping things on the screen with my thumb. But the trackpad still seems more precise and efficient.

If I could turn the touch screen off, I'd probably do it most of the time. It's handy for looking around on Maps for something, and sometimes for looking for something on a web page, but that's about it.
    10-18-12 08:48 PM
    I loathe the track pad! Lol
    10-18-12 08:53 PM
    I just noticed, that I really don't use the trackpad at all.

Am I alone in this?

I use it all the time.

10-18-12 08:53 PM
    I do 90% use the trackpad on my torch...RIM doing with out it,sounds like a bad ideal you ask me on the BB10....
    10-18-12 09:01 PM
    I just noticed, that I really don't use the trackpad at all.

Am I alone in this?

Yes, all the time. Actually if you'd write in some other languages than english, you are completely screwed without the trackpad. Here is why:
    Special character like "�"," �" or "�" require you to use the TP. In most german sentences there usually is at least one word with a special character which more or less forces you to hold down the primary character and select the special character with the trackpad.
    With BB10 and the missing TP on the horizon, I am wondering what kind of solution RIM will offer. Since the keyboard layout hasn't changed, they most likely will include some sort of uncomfortable software solution.

But even besides that I use the TP more than often:
    - outside with gloves on, it is getting colder now and I can still use the Bold nicely
    - within the webbrowser to use the cursor function, for example to click tiny links
    - to select multiple items within the mailclient
    - marking text for C&P or quick delete

The decision to ditch the trackpad is understandable, but so far RIM obviously hasn't really thought about how they can replace it in a convinient way.
    kirson likes this.
    10-18-12 11:22 PM
    The decision to ditch the trackpad is understandable, but so far RIM obviously hasn't really thought about how they can replace it in a convinient way.
    From Bla1ze's Twitter:

Looks like they have thought about it.
    10-18-12 11:52 PM
    From Bla1ze's Twitter:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net...ohEJvqDqwQJS8_

Looks like they have thought about it.
    Please move past it..... ditch it finally.
    10-19-12 12:44 AM
    Yep, I agree with most everyone here....trackpad nearly all the time. I used the touch screen occasionally when I need to pinch and zoom or selecting the occasional icon. As others have mentioned, I find the touchscreen way too imprecise for a smaller screen like on the bold 9900.
    10-19-12 12:52 AM
    I mostly just touch the screen, unless it's to do something that requires some precision (text selection - especially on a smaller screen), in which case I'll use the trackpad.
    10-19-12 09:24 AM
    I use my PlayBook more than my phone these days (never thought that would happen by the way) and swipe everything with it of course, however I almost never touch the screen on my 9930.
    10-19-12 09:30 AM
    I use the trackpad all the time. I find its great for selecting text. Hold the shift button, scroll with the track pad Beautiful! Way easier for me than trying the whole two finger select gesture thing... I end up typing out a lot of stuff and thinking, nah I want to say that differently. Using the trackpad to quickly select some or all (shift+scroll up) is super easy and fast.

The past week my trackpad hasn't been as responsive with my thumb as it used to be. I don't know if its the trackpad or my thumbs fault... If I cover my thumb with my shirt or some other fabric it works just as it should, otherwise its horribly unresponsive.

The fact BB10 doesn't have a trackpad is making me think I should go with the all touch device and just hope the keyboard experience is good. I love my buttons and all, but without the trackpad I'm thinking I should just try something new and see if I can get used to it. Adapt! Surely I can do that... Love my 9900 but I'm SO excited for BB10
    10-19-12 09:30 AM
    I only use both hands when I type and the rest of the time one-handed, so I use the trackpad 99% of the time. The touchscreen is just a gimmick for me. I really don't need it.
    10-19-12 09:55 AM
    I use the trackpad quite a bit. There are small things you want to click on that touch wont do. Copy/paste I use the trackpad 100% of the time.

I am not sure I will jump to BB10 QWERTY if they omit the trackpad as early leaks have shown.
    10-19-12 11:00 AM
    If we are left with those damn playbook Blue arrows that never move where I want on the even smaller phone screen I will not upgrade to a trackpad-less bb phone. Editing on the pb remains a tedious, irritating task. Those arrows quite simply are an obstacle to editing.

edited: typo and clarity (although it still may not be be clear).
    Last edited by F2; 10-19-12 at 03:33 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-19-12 12:36 PM
78 1234